• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SallyIV

SallyIV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:35 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Hi fellows, here's something to discuss and maybe ask Fuji for a FW update !?

I have complained (fotosidan.se, Swedish) about the hopeless EVF in dark/musky rooms - I get a grainy view. Even with shutter speed set to seconds just to get the EVF brighter to be able to use the Focus Peaking (an issue mostly for my T1 and E2; the M1 just works and the 100S also works, well - after it have made 10 seconds AF work).

I use often manual focus lenses (Samyang, Canon FD, M42's) and find it hard to get the exact focus in dark/low lit rooms, it's more of a guess work.

But.

One thing, I learned some day ago - on http://www.boxedligh...m/XT1/index.htm

Here I copuld read:
" The EVF, while outstanding and probably class leading, has one issue that I find troublesome on very rare occasions. When shooting in extremely dark (almost pitch black) situations in manual focus mode with a lens wide open and focus peaking turned on the EVF and LCD will "sparkle". I call it Fireflies. If you have ever used night vision devices you know that some of them produce a firefly effect... sparkles of light in the viewfinder. It is very important to understand that the X-T1 does this ONLY under extreme circumstances using manual focusing and focus peaking... Turn off focus peaking and the Fireflies go away. Having said all that you might also say that the Fuji X-T1 can see in the dark. "

So, I tried, set the MF Assist to Standard and there - the EVF was bright as in daylight. Impressive.

Any other with my experience?

Would this not be a FW issue? Possible to take up as a poll, as I have had it, the grainy EVF was almost a dealbraker.

-J!

#2 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:40 AM

No EVF will always have some noise, which is the sparkly grain that you see, when viewing an image in extreme low light conditions.

It is the nature of the beast.

Unlike mirror and prism image of a DSLR this is mage is created by the sensor itself (als you have in liveview mode) and it is largely hardware determined (so it cannot be much or at all varied with firmware changes or they would have done it in the first place). As you have experienced it also greatly enhances the vision of the real light conditions.

The conditions and comments that you quoted describe are precise and the way the evf will always work. 

I don’t have a problem with it and find it amazing how it amplifies light. I too use, mostly, manual focus lenses.

Edited by milandro, 13 September 2017 - 09:44 AM.

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#3 bhu

bhu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:05 AM

Shot noise is an inherent limitation in all sensors and can be reduced or eliminated using software filtering. The focus peaking may have interfered with the SW filter or worsened the effect of the shot noise.

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close