Unsharp 56mm F1.2

jujulips

Dear All,

I recently bought a Fuji XT2 with a 56mm 1.2

I have to admit that I am disapointed with the shrapness ...  My 7d with 50mm F1.4 was really sharper.

Can I check with you if i'm just beeing a pixel peeper, or if I should really return my lense for calibration.

This is a 100 prct Crop of a non treated Raw File :

F1.2 (AF on the eye)
ISO 200
SS 1200

Thanks for your support,

Cheers

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

we’ve been there many times.

“ untreated raw file” means that you are making your judgment based on a low resolution (meant for preview use only!) jpeg embedded file. NOT the raw file! Which needs a preview because it cannot be seen before it is converted.

This low res preview file is there only for the purpose of visualization not for using or even viewing for evaluations such as the one you are seeking since you can’t use a raw file for publishing or printing.

This topic has come back in a million shapes before. There are many threads in which people make their evaluations based on a wrong conception. 

The fact that your previous Canon might have had an embedded image larger than your Fuji has no bearing to the actual quality of the image once it is processed.

I am quoting you two threads about this but there are many more

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/1837-possible-concern-over-quality/page-2

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/5689-shooting-in-raw/

Edited by milandro

• 1 month later...

Milandro,

Do I avoid this issue entirely by taking in camera only RAW files and then the first and only time I see a JPG is when I export one from the RAW file on my MAC?

OR if I review the RAW in camera am I looking at a JPG (low or high res)?

There is a lot of confusion on this matter and I admit to being confused myself.

As I understand, which might not be entirely correct, the visual content of raw files is in itself not visible, that’s why each camera type produces a low resolution embedded jpg file for the purpose of visualization for example on your LCD.

Your camera converts the raw file into a high res image or you do this with a dng converter or raw converter program but until then you are only visualizing low resolution images.

There is a lot of confusion on this matter and I admit to being confused myself.

As I understand, which might not be entirely correct, the visual content of raw files is in itself not visible, that’s why each camera type produces a low resolution embedded jpg file for the purpose of visualization for example on your LCD.

Your camera converts the raw file into a high res image or you do this with a dng converter or raw converter program but until then you are only visualizing low resolution images.

Thanks,

Ok that is how I believe it to be unless proven otherwise.

The only way to see the real sharpness is then to view the RAW file in a converter and convert it to a JPG or TIFF and either view it on screen or make a large print, depending on what you want to achieve.

• 2 months later...

it looks like the picture in the original post is already processed...it is not the in camera preview.

that looks pretty unsharp to me, and with that shutter speed, any movement shouldn't make it that blurry. were the eyes in the center of the image?

• 2 weeks later...

I have just acquired a 56mm. At f1.2 the centre is very sharp but the extreme edges are fairly soft. By f2.8 the edges even up. The lens is essentially a portrait lens and I did expect that sort of behavior from it, which is common in such lenses. Also the test was made with a flat target. Many lenses have field curvature which means that a flat target test will be misleading. However it should be sharp in the centre.