X-T1 - M42 Mount Lens

Probably not. Lenses designed to work on a mirrored camera need to sit further from the sensor than those designed to work with mirrorless. So the adapters move the lens out to where it needs to be to focus properly on the sensor.

Mike

The crop factor will be the usual 1.5x. The adapter is just adding the space that the lens needs to focus correctly. The lens is designed for a camera with a mirror assembly, so the flange distance is longer. If you attached the lens without the extra space, you wouldn't be able to get anything in focus because the lens would be projecting the scene about an inch behind your sensor, no matter where you focus. That's why mirrorless is good for adapting lenses, because no matter the flange distance the lens is designed for, mirrorless needs less space, so you can put in adapters of varying thicknesses to make every lens work.

If you want a truly small profile adapted kit, you should look into rangefinder lenses, as they're designed to work with no mirror assembly, and therefore a very small flange distance. I have a Voightlander 35mm that sits very snugly against the body of my X-T1 and makes a very compact package. Meanwhile, My M42 Helios 58mm sits quite far from the body, and is almost awkward to use sometimes. 

Here you go.

The three comparisons are against a gripped 5Dmk2 (taken with my phone, so I'm sorry about the poor image quality) 

The comparison photos look embarassingly bad, so also, have a "this is my kit" photo I took a couple of months ago

In the "kit" photo, you can see the Voightlander, and the thin black ring on the back of the lens is the entire adapter. Much lower profile than anything M42 will come close to.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

How does the IQ of the Voightlander on the X-T1 compare to the 5D II?

It's surprisingly fantastic, even wide open. The 5Dmk2 does better since it has 21 megapixels, but I haven't been disappointed by the Voight on the X-T1 yet. 

Here are a couple of scenes shot with the Voightlander.

The color one is a whole scene, and the black and white is a 100% crop.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!