Manual Focus Assist

Hi Georgia,
not sure if I understand what you mean: manual focus assist doesn't "sharpen" anything, it just "shows" in the viewfinder what IS in focus. Of course you can disable it, but things will be in focus, even if there will be no red underline around in your viewfinder. If you look for out of focus images, and you are using manual focus control, try to focus on something very close to the lens, something around 50cm, then take a photo on something at 2 or 3 meters

Thankyou Kiodo! I have done this test of focusing on something quite close however the images still are quite crisp for an out of focus part. Very different for example when using an analogue camera and you things are completely blurry. I cant seem to get this effect on the digital Fuji. This image link may help you see what I am trying to achieve...https://www.instagram.com/p/BXtb0xNjFl4/?hl=en&taken-by=renatodagostin

Just to confirm as well...when you first look onto the screen and things are very blurry and then you half press and the manual assist half sharpens things...is the screen actually initially an unrealistic representation?

I really don’t think that such a thing happens at all.

Perhaps you are comparing two quite different things and your impression might be due to a misunderstanding created about the APS-C lens “ equivalence”.

Although it is true that a 35mm lens on APS-C has a field of view equivalent to the one of a 50mm on full format digital (or analog 35mm cameras), a 35 mm remains a 35mm in terms of depth of field.

Therefore the “ blurring” of the portion out of focus will be more pronounced in a FF or a 35mm analog camera.

Other than that, no, the camera doesn’t sharpen automatically (even more so if you use the raf files) anything that you don’t want to be sharp.

Thankyou Kiodo! I have done this test of focusing on something quite close however the images still are quite crisp for an out of focus part. Very different for example when using an analogue camera and you things are completely blurry. I cant seem to get this effect on the digital Fuji. This image link may help you see what I am trying to achieve...https://www.instagram.com/p/BXtb0xNjFl4/?hl=en&taken-by=renatodagostin

Just to confirm as well...when you first look onto the screen and things are very blurry and then you half press and the manual assist half sharpens things...is the screen actually initially an unrealistic representation?

From your description, it seems to me that what you want is to disable auto focus. The auto focus function of your camera lets the camera focus the lens. I suspect that what you are seeing when you half press the shutter button is that the camera is focussing the lens. If you do not want this, you have to set the camera in manual focus mode.

Also: some lenses override the camera setting of the manual focus mode. For example, if you have the 23mm f1.4, you must slide the focus ring of the lens towards the camera to shoot in manual focus.

Manual focus assist functions are to help you better check whether the lens is focussed as you want it to be, for example by providing a zoomed in image, focus peaking, or both. Though the assist function can exaggerate the in-focus sharpness of the image on the EVF/LCD, it will do nothing to change the focus. So, the areas of the image which are out of focus will remain so (when in manual focus).

Edit: might be helpful to know, which lens are you using?

Edited by Florian

When you half press the shutter, you see the stopped down view. Try DoF preview to confirm.

Thanks everyone.

I am using a 56mm 1.2 and a 35mm 1.4. Both do the same thing and I am on manual not auto mode.

I have been doing some research and have found that it is not putting the image more into focus, it is actually that the EVF shows a non accurate view. Apparently, the cameras will stop down the lenses sometimes in liveview to prevent sensor overload. The camera constantly adjusting the aperture during live view which means I am not getting a fully accurate DOF preview until I half press the shutter.

Apprecaite it.