56mm 1.2 for action shots

galestonerimages

Does the 56mm 1.2 have a fast enough AF to use for sports?  I shoot high school sports for a local school and the gym lighting is terrible.  I’ve been using the 35mm 2.0 for volleyball but I still have to go to 4000 iso.

Back in the days of Canon, I would use the 85mm 1.8 and it was the perfect focal length for volleyball and basketball with a little cropping and relatively low noise.  I know the 56mm focal length will work for the indoor sports just not sure if the AF is fast enough.

I wouldn't.. It misses focus quite a bit and is painfully slow due to such a large heavy element and not having the linear motors found in most of Fuji's medium to telephoto lenses.

At f1.2 the DoF is so thin that I'm still struggling with this lens wide open a year later. It's something of a skill that needs fine refinement. You would need to stop it down somewhat to be able to get use it practically especially for moving subjects.

So you could do the 50-140, 100-400, or 55-200 but none of those are brighter than the F2 you're using now. The only other options would be to get the 1.4 version of the lens you have now (which is slower focusing) but you'll still have DoF issues depending on your distance to subject, or do the 90mm F2 which has the LM so it's fast focusing and the extra reach will help you with less cropping in post

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone for your responses.  Sounds like the 56mm is not the answer.  I used my 50-140mm, but even wide open, I had to go to 6400 iso to get a fast enough shutter speed.  Needless to say, the gym where I shoot has very poor lighting.  At the last game, I ended up using my 35mm 2.0 at 4000 iso for most of the games.