Will Canon 550EX flash work with Fuji X-T20

hsmith44

I am considering replacing my Canon 5D MkII protrait setup, but have not read good things regarding the Fuji flashes. I need to be able to shoot at least 150 flashes using single and two flashes without recharging

Will my Canon 550EX flash function properly in TTL and High Speed Synch on a Fuji X-T20?

Is there another brand recommended?

Thanks in advance.

Sadly, no. Rico Pfirstinger has useful comment, as follows. (He is writing about the X-Pro2, but the comment applies also to other X-series cameras):

“Basically, you can use any modern flash unit from any vendor with your X-Pro2, as long as you are prepared to manually set its power. You can connect third party flash units directly to the camera’s hot shoe, or use a cable or a wireless triggering device.” 

But he then adds a warning: "Important: Attaching Canon-compatible TTL flash equipment to the hot-shoe of the X-Pro2 can result in the camera overheating and performing an emergency shutdown. While Fujifilm and Canon share the same physical hot-shoe contacts, the protocols are not compatible. In this case, either tape-off the TTL contacts of your device or use an adapter that only loops the signal from the camera to the flash.” (Rico Pfirstinger: The Fujifilm X-Pro2, 115 X-Pert Tips. Rocky Nook 2016)

​As to other recommended brands of flash, there's quite a bit of useful comment here in the Flash forum, with Nissin and Godox currently receiving a lot of attention.

Edited by dfaye

I though the X-T20 had a smaller hot shoe than the standard Canon, etc.

As far as I know, all modern cameras provide ISO 518 standard hotshoes. Sony was the last hold-out, and in late 2012 (starting with the NEX-6), they finally switched to the standard.

Note that nothing beyond physical size and simple triggering are standardized. The only standard pin is the "center" one that fires the flash. But that's all that manual flashes need.