X-T1 View Finder Information

This would be nice.

I wonder if it actually consumes power at all. In (mostly-)analog film cameras it's about the only thing that did consume power, but now when the EVF is already active, would it even make a difference if you could set it to just keep metering? Since you're already looking at a live-view image anyway .. ! Maybe use a color for active metering, and have it fade to grey after a few seconds. Or maybe not even that, because the only way it wouldn't be accurate is if you change metering mode or position of spot metering, but that shouldn't really matter either because since it's active the metering would just change along with it! :huh:

It would be nice though if it would keep metering for a few seconds after releasing the shutter button.

I agree, just like every other digital camera I have ever used. Generally the time to continue metering could be set under the menu.

The other thing that I still can't get used to is the manual focus. I think I have to have the shutter half pressed to manually focus as well. It is constantly confusing me as I spin that ring and can't figure out why nothing seems to be happening.

Mike

I've been shooting with the X-E1, and the X-T1 for over 2 years now and in my case, as I also use Aperture mode exclusively, the shutter speed always shows up in the EVF and LCD...

As i open or close the aperture, I can see the shutter speed change.

As i open or close the aperture, I can see the shutter speed change.

I also shoot almost exclusively in Aperture Priority with my X-T1 and mine only shows with half press like others have said.

Is there some setting you found to allow this?

I think it works the way it does because the camera tries to keep the aperture as wide as possible to keep the viewfinder bright. When you half press the shutter it stops down to your chosen aperture and meters the scene - giving you the shutter speed. But if you release the shutter button the camera opens the aperture again. On some lenses you can hear the aperture opening and closing when you half press and release the shutter.

I was going to call you a liar but it turns out you appear to be correct :)

When I look at the front of the camera I see the aperture opening and closing as the light gets brighter and it stops down to the selected aperture when I half press. The opening and closing must have something to do with the live view and probably contributes to the low battery life on these.

I think it could still keep the aperture closed for a selected time period after half press release though.

Mike

I think the measure saves battery life. The lens stays wide open to gain the most light - meaning less need for viewfinder/LCD amplification.

The reason mirrorless cameras use so much power is that the sensor is on all the time, as that's what we use to see anything. A DSLR can focus and meter without the main sensor at all and only powers the sensor when the shutter button is fully depressed.