Tethered Shooting

Fujifilm has handled the "release" of the tethering software really really poorly

What release? :) AFAIK, it still isn't there for the general buying public, so poorly is an understatement. I really feel for those who have been waiting for this software since December (it was readily available then) and still can't buy it.

Umm, no, at least for the Mac, it was my understanding that tethering support would not require any additional investment beyond LR itself.  The implication was that the free download in the link I supplied contained support both for the Fuji and PC versions.  If that assumption is wrong, then I would certainly agree with you and under no circumstances would I knowingly advocate piracy (particularly on a public forum for heaven's sake).

Sorry, I don't know what happened to my reply. I will try to recap what I wrote. Short version: No, I am not accusing anyone of condoning piracy, that is trolling. I am just blaming Fujifilm for their POOR POOR communication around this Lightroom/other tethering software issue. Yes, the tethering plugin is in theory FREE, but it is only distributed with the Windows software, which costs money. So copying it is not right, but who would know ??? Fujifilm sure won't tell us!!!

So for us poor Mac users, we are therefore kept in limbo until it shows up in Adobe Exchange "soon". BY THE WAY, does anyone know whether this only works with the CC version or can you buy plugins for the standalone version of LR as well?

Guest Guest-CT

I phoned Fuji UK, the person I spoke to didn't seem to understand the issue, I kept telling I am a PC user and he insisted on telling on how to download the MAC plugin. When I informed him that the plugin is the .exe for a PC and required the HS software, which you cannot find either, he said he would call me back - still waiting!!!!!!!

Absolutely and utterly RIDICULOUS. Where's the "pro" in that? They are really testing my patience. It's not like we said, "Fuji, you better release a tethering software!!" and then they're humming and hawing about it. THEY announced the software, and we're like, "GREAT! Shut up and take my money, Fuji!!" And then, nothing. For months. Ok, that's a lie. Let's say, a couple of false launches, which I think is somewhat worse.

I really don't get it. 

Fuji still has a chance to save face in the "Tethered Shooting Plugin Debacle." At least for us in the West, by releasing a clear and concise statement regarding the plug in. First, tell us when it will be available. Second, tell us the price. We already know where it will be available assuming the information regarding availability on Adobe Exchange is correct. 

Since this is a Hot Topic Button for some X-T1 owners and some considering purchasing an X-T1, It would behoove Fuji and their national distributors to train their customer service people to accurately answer questions about the plugin. 

While this is an important issue for the folks who read and post to this forum, I don't think Fuji perceives this to be a pressing issue since only a tiny percentage of their camera market has the slightest interest in tethered shooting. Keeping this in mind will help us who want the plugin to better understand why Fuji hasn't put a lot of energy and resources to work on this issue. As much as I would like to be shooting tethered right now, not having the plugin is not the end of the world. I can use the iPhone/iPad app for a somewhat imperfect simulation of tethered shooting. I'm trying to look at this from Fuji's perspective. 

On the other hand, it does feel bad that a Pro feature has been handled so poorly from our perspective. In my opinion, Fuji could and will attract a much larger Pro audience with tethered shooting. I just hope that the debacle doesn't turn people away who may assume this is SOP for Fuji.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but no one has yet suggested the iPhone/iPad app (if you own one of these devices) which alows tethered shooting/file viewing via WiFi.  Not ideal, but they are free and may be ok for occasional use.  I also beleive there is an Android version available.

Hope that's helpful.

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but no one has yet suggested the iPhone/iPad app (if you own one of these devices) which alows tethered shooting/file viewing via WiFi.  Not ideal, but they are free and may be ok for occasional use.  I also beleive there is an Android version available.

Hope that's helpful.

Because you’re right, Bob.

Below is a link to the Google Play Store:

After the last update in June, it also works with me again under Android 5.x.

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting that with a great camera like the X-T1, Fuji is not able to get this 'tethering' business taken care of. Yes, there is the WIFI tethering but on a professional studio shoot, tethering via USB or Firewire has it's distinct advantages. Seeing the image on a calibrated screen provides the detailed information the photographer or client need to know (DoF and focus issues, sensor dust, compositional and lighting elements etc.) and you know with certainty if you have the shot or not. Besides it's a great time saver if you get the shot right in camera instead of spending valuable time fixing in PS (or whatever image editing software you may use). An additional advantage is that the images bypass the camera and are saved directly to a designated folder on the hard drive. I suppose for Fuji not having this tethering capability is no deal breaker however, if Fuji wants to play serious in the professional league they should Kaizen their behinds and get this thing working, especially for Mac users (no offence intended to the PC faction). I use both LR and Capture One Pro 8. Each has it's advantages and fans. I like them both with a slight preference to Capture One Pro for tethering (used this with my Canon 5dM2) and fine adjustments with RAW images. Sony has been quicker. You can even tether the a6000 to Capture One Pro/Express. So, out of curiosity I contacted the people at Capture One Pro and asked what the story is with tethering and the Fuji X-T1 (or XPro1 or X100T/S or XE-1/2). This was their answer " Currently there are no such plans that I know of. Please contact your Fuji sales rep and request this from Fuji. If they know their users want this they might be more willing to cooperate with us on getting tethering support in place". Hmm, 'cooperation'. Something to think about Fuji. I really like my X-T1 and X100t in all respects way more than the Canon so please Fuji, give us Xers USB/Firewire tethering capabilities for C1P and LR. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...