• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Jerry-Astro

Jerry-Astro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:42 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Ok, I have both an Apple and a Windows computer. I downloaded the .exe file and tried to open it. I get the same error message every time: HS-V5 not found.

If you don't have that program installed that you can currently only get in Japan, you can't do anything with this plugin. Neither Mac nor Windows. We are waiting for a paid plug-in for Lightroom that will work without any additional software from Fuji, purchased or otherwise. I know for fact that this plug-in exists, and Fuji will make it available to us over the Adobe Exchange Network.

When that is, nobody knows. Seriously. NOBODY. Not even the people at Fuji. 

Thanks for setting the record straight, Karina.  Much appreciated.

#22 craigk49

craigk49

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

According to the Fuji Guys, the plug in will be available "soon" on Adobe's site. They mentioned they are planning on publishing a YouTube video when the plugin is available. So, Fuji hasn't abandoned the Mac plugin. I have found a couple of places where the required HS-V5 app is sold. It's been a while since I checked. I believe it was available as CD/DVD(?) purchase at B&H and there was an online camera store in Australia selling it. I know that doesn't help much.

The "free" aspect comes from Fuji's wording for the HS-V5 update. The update is indeed free. But, only to purchasers of HS-V5. The installer will check your computer for an installed HS-V5 app. If you don't have it on your hard drive, the installer will quit with an error message. Lots of people assumed the plugin was free. It isn't. And it won't be free when it becomes available on Adobe's site. I will be sold through Adobe. Considering the free firmware updates (think 4.0 for X-T1) that literally give you a new camera just for downloading and installing, it isn't such a hard pill to swallow.  

#23 Harlem

Harlem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:31 PM

For those of you who want to have their X-T1 captured images imported directly into Capture One

There's a guy named Michael (all credits to him) who developed a small program which copies captured imaged directly into a selectable folder. To get the program follow this link.

The problem is that this program is available for windows only. Now I've successfully installed it on my MacBook Pro:

- Mac OS X 10.9.4
- Parallels Desktop 10
- Windows 10 Preview (any other Windows Version should work as well)
- XT1Move V0.9.1 (This is the software from Michael)
- X-T1 Firmware 3.0
- 3m USB-Kabel
- Capture One 8.1.1 Mac-Version

It simply works:-)

- XT1Move Software installed in the virtual Windows engine
- Defined a target directory for captures by launching XT1 (This directory can be acccessed by Windows and OS X)
- Imported the target directory into a C1-catalog once
- Set the directory as Hot-Folder (see C1 documentation)
- Shoot and you will have imported the captured image in a second. smiley.gif

The only caveat is that this is no real tethering so you have no live view and you have to operate the camera to shoot. But for me this works very well.

#24 heliosfan

heliosfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:44 AM

Fujifilm has handled the "release" of the tethering software really really poorly, especially for us Mac users. From what info I have Mac users have to wait for the plugin to be released through Adobe. I don't. even think the plugin will work cross-platform. I didn't mean to imply that you are condoning piracy or anything like that, it's just very confusing and people might think that it IS ok to extract the
plugin and share it. But apparently it isn't.

#25 craigk49

craigk49

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:13 PM

I think Fuji is being very conservative after jumping the gun with the first release of the plugin causing problems. They want to make sure they don't have customers experiencing files disappearing from their cards again. 

As far as PC users getting the plugin for free? That never happened. The plugin is included in HS-V5. That means purchasers of HS-V5 get a copy AT NO EXTRA CHARGE. Free, it is not. That being the case, Fuji is within their rights to program the update to fail when it cannot detect an installed HS-V5 on the hard drive. This is just one of many ways coders can prevent unauthorized access to software that hasn't been paid for. It's not free, it's not free, it's not free. 

So, Fuji made some mistakes with the release of HS-V5 - from our point of view. The information wasn't clear and lots of people were disappointed, myself included. I don't read or speak Japanese, so I can't say I may have come to a different conclusion had that been the case. I suspect this is one of those "perfect storm" situations where everything went to heck in a hand basket. That is life, sometimes. The larger and more complex an organization is, the more likely something like this is to occur. Since Fuji is usually so good about similar things, it makes this look doubly bad when we contrast it to all of the good stuff we are accustomed to.

my 2 cents

#26 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:55 AM

Fujifilm has handled the "release" of the tethering software really really poorly

What release? :) AFAIK, it still isn't there for the general buying public, so poorly is an understatement. I really feel for those who have been waiting for this software since December (it was readily available then) and still can't buy it.

• heliosfan likes this

Fuji X SecretsX-Pert Corner – Flickr SetsRico's Fujifilm X camera books (use code XPERT40 for a 40% discount)

#27 heliosfan

heliosfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:27 PM

Umm, no, at least for the Mac, it was my understanding that tethering support would not require any additional investment beyond LR itself.  The implication was that the free download in the link I supplied contained support both for the Fuji and PC versions.  If that assumption is wrong, then I would certainly agree with you and under no circumstances would I knowingly advocate piracy (particularly on a public forum for heaven's sake).

Sorry, I don't know what happened to my reply. I will try to recap what I wrote. Short version: No, I am not accusing anyone of condoning piracy, that is trolling. I am just blaming Fujifilm for their POOR POOR communication around this Lightroom/other tethering software issue. Yes, the tethering plugin is in theory FREE, but it is only distributed with the Windows software, which costs money. So copying it is not right, but who would know ??? Fujifilm sure won't tell us!!!

So for us poor Mac users, we are therefore kept in limbo until it shows up in Adobe Exchange "soon". BY THE WAY, does anyone know whether this only works with the CC version or can you buy plugins for the standalone version of LR as well?

#28 Guest_Kristian Wind_*

Guest_Kristian Wind_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:54 PM

What Harlem talks about might be this:

http://www.xmapsy.com/

/Kristian

#29 Guest_Guest-CT_*

Guest_Guest-CT_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:41 PM

I phoned Fuji UK, the person I spoke to didn't seem to understand the issue, I kept telling I am a PC user and he insisted on telling on how to download the MAC plugin. When I informed him that the plugin is the .exe for a PC and required the HS software, which you cannot find either, he said he would call me back - still waiting!!!!!!!

#30 karinatwork

karinatwork

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:06 PM

Absolutely and utterly RIDICULOUS. Where's the "pro" in that? They are really testing my patience. It's not like we said, "Fuji, you better release a tethering software!!" and then they're humming and hawing about it. THEY announced the software, and we're like, "GREAT! Shut up and take my money, Fuji!!" And then, nothing. For months. Ok, that's a lie. Let's say, a couple of false launches, which I think is somewhat worse.

I really don't get it. 

• flysurfer and hooli like this

#31 craigk49

craigk49

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:41 PM

Fuji still has a chance to save face in the "Tethered Shooting Plugin Debacle." At least for us in the West, by releasing a clear and concise statement regarding the plug in. First, tell us when it will be available. Second, tell us the price. We already know where it will be available assuming the information regarding availability on Adobe Exchange is correct. 

Since this is a Hot Topic Button for some X-T1 owners and some considering purchasing an X-T1, It would behoove Fuji and their national distributors to train their customer service people to accurately answer questions about the plugin. 

While this is an important issue for the folks who read and post to this forum, I don't think Fuji perceives this to be a pressing issue since only a tiny percentage of their camera market has the slightest interest in tethered shooting. Keeping this in mind will help us who want the plugin to better understand why Fuji hasn't put a lot of energy and resources to work on this issue. As much as I would like to be shooting tethered right now, not having the plugin is not the end of the world. I can use the iPhone/iPad app for a somewhat imperfect simulation of tethered shooting. I'm trying to look at this from Fuji's perspective. 

On the other hand, it does feel bad that a Pro feature has been handled so poorly from our perspective. In my opinion, Fuji could and will attract a much larger Pro audience with tethered shooting. I just hope that the debacle doesn't turn people away who may assume this is SOP for Fuji.

• hooli likes this

#32 Patrick FR

Patrick FR

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 872 posts
  • LocationTOP SECRET

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:59 PM

The HS-V5 is now available in UK: http://www.fujirumor...vailable-in-uk/

#33 blupace

blupace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:50 AM

Hey all,

So ive been following this thread for a while as I too would love tethered shoting on the XT1.

Today I found this on youtube.

Seems to be shooting tethered straight into lightroom on a mac

#34 Bobitybob

Bobitybob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationHome of the Lady Wulfruna

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:57 AM

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but no one has yet suggested the iPhone/iPad app (if you own one of these devices) which alows tethered shooting/file viewing via WiFi.  Not ideal, but they are free and may be ok for occasional use.  I also beleive there is an Android version available.

Hope that's helpful.

• jeremyclarke likes this

No images were harmed in the making of this picture.

Regards

Bob

My Flickr

#35 micmar

micmar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTuebingen, Region Stuttgart, Germany

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:49 PM

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but no one has yet suggested the iPhone/iPad app (if you own one of these devices) which alows tethered shooting/file viewing via WiFi.  Not ideal, but they are free and may be ok for occasional use.  I also beleive there is an Android version available.

Hope that's helpful.

Because you’re right, Bob.

Below is a link to the Google Play Store:

After the last update in June, it also works with me again under Android 5.x.

#36 awiedl

awiedl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

It's interesting that with a great camera like the X-T1, Fuji is not able to get this 'tethering' business taken care of. Yes, there is the WIFI tethering but on a professional studio shoot, tethering via USB or Firewire has it's distinct advantages. Seeing the image on a calibrated screen provides the detailed information the photographer or client need to know (DoF and focus issues, sensor dust, compositional and lighting elements etc.) and you know with certainty if you have the shot or not. Besides it's a great time saver if you get the shot right in camera instead of spending valuable time fixing in PS (or whatever image editing software you may use). An additional advantage is that the images bypass the camera and are saved directly to a designated folder on the hard drive. I suppose for Fuji not having this tethering capability is no deal breaker however, if Fuji wants to play serious in the professional league they should Kaizen their behinds and get this thing working, especially for Mac users (no offence intended to the PC faction). I use both LR and Capture One Pro 8. Each has it's advantages and fans. I like them both with a slight preference to Capture One Pro for tethering (used this with my Canon 5dM2) and fine adjustments with RAW images. Sony has been quicker. You can even tether the a6000 to Capture One Pro/Express. So, out of curiosity I contacted the people at Capture One Pro and asked what the story is with tethering and the Fuji X-T1 (or XPro1 or X100T/S or XE-1/2). This was their answer " Currently there are no such plans that I know of. Please contact your Fuji sales rep and request this from Fuji. If they know their users want this they might be more willing to cooperate with us on getting tethering support in place". Hmm, 'cooperation'. Something to think about Fuji. I really like my X-T1 and X100t in all respects way more than the Canon so please Fuji, give us Xers USB/Firewire tethering capabilities for C1P and LR. Cheers.

#37 aceflibble

aceflibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:18 PM

Tethering isn't a big selling point in Japan. Guess which region the Japanese company takes most of its cues from.

#38 Johan

Johan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:35 AM

How can we let Fuji know this is a big issue?  Who do I contact?

Please contact your Fuji sales rep and request this from Fuji...

#39 Stingerab

Stingerab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:08 AM

https://creative.ado...41#.VbiV3J7tlBc

:)

• Patrick FR likes this

#40 gobedo

gobedo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:36 AM

Extension Manager CC

Bought downloaded this and the plugin for mac or windows, I use both. Downloaded adobe extension manager CC and it worked

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close