why do all digital fuji X cameras need to have the "sound on" to use the flash?

milandro

true in the new software it will be easier to find because the function changes name to something more intelligible” flash & sound off” . Still, the reason why escapes any logic although I am sure there must be one, albeit a Japanese Digital one! 

You'll doubtless find ths offensive - but it's the only reason that makes sense to me.

The camera makes a noise when the flash fires for the benefit of the blind!

How else would they know they're being photographed?

Train doors beep for the benefit of the blind.

Pedestrian crossings beep for the benefit of the blind.

Why not a camera whne the flash is fired?

And by the way- my comment is not supposed to be taking the P or making fun of the blind - it is just trying to understand the point of an unnecessary feature!

I doubt that protecting the blinds from being photographed ( only with a flash but not without? :huh: ) was the base for Fuji to do this. I suspect this has something to do with an algorithm which requires both these functions to be active in order to function.

With both my XQ1 and X10 I can use the flash with operation volume and shutter volume set to off.

Or are you referring to ‘silent mode’? That mode is designed to prevent the camera drawing attention to it so it turns off both the sound and the flash.

I tested it with my X100, X100S, X100T, X10, X20, X30, X-S1, XF1, XQ1, XQ2, X-A1, X-A1, X-M1, X-Pro1, X-E1, X-E2, X-T1 and X-T10, and they are all able to fire a flash when I turn the sound down or off in the respective menu. 

Maybe your settings are inadequate, like ES ON or Silent Mode ON. The latter was renamed to Sound And Flash OFF to make things clearer.

apologies, you are right, while my X-10 does work like that the X-T1 will only work like that in mechanical shutter only.

Yep, the electronic shutter is a rolling shutter and thus incompatible with using the flash.

I too was confused by this when i first got my x-e2, but eventually worked it out. The renaming is a good idea though i tend to think of it as 'discreet' mode, for those times when you don't want to draw attention to yourself, or when you're in a place like a church or a museum where flash is not allowed and where (in theory) it should be a quiet place.

Yep, the electronic shutter is a rolling shutter and thus incompatible with using the flash.

Technically "rolling shutter" refers to the effect you can sometimes see (moving object being distorted vertically) when using the electronic shutter, not the shutter itself. This is because the sensor is read from left to right, line by line. There is nothing rolling inside the camera , thank God! ;)

I too was confused by this when i first got my x-e2, but eventually worked it out. The renaming is a good idea though i tend to think of it as 'discreet' mode, for those times when you don't want to draw attention to yourself, or when you're in a place like a church or a museum where flash is not allowed and where (in theory) it should be a quiet place.

I have always referred to it as ‘museum mode’ myself.

Exactly, i don't see why so many people have such a problem figuring this out. They could have named it better in the first place, but come people it wasn't that big a mystery.

I like Museum Mode. That would have been a curious one, but it would get ones attention to get those brains running, which apparently is necessary, and it's a fun phrase to easily remember.

Anyway, Discreet Mode would have been best and would have prevented a lot of confusion, since that is exactly what it is plain and simple!

Technically "rolling shutter" refers to the effect you can sometimes see (moving object being distorted vertically) when using the electronic shutter, not the shutter itself.

Technically ‘rolling shutter’ refers to the way the electronic shutter operates, namely by a sequential reset and read-out of the sensor pixels (see http://dvxuser.com/jason/CMOS-CCD/, for example). The rolling shutter artefacts are named after the shutter. ‘Rolling’ doesn’t imply there was any physical movement involved but is used metaphorically.

Electronic shutters come in two kinds, rolling and global shutters. With a global shutter all the sensor pixels get exposed at the same time whereas with a rolling shutter the exposure starts and ends at slightly different times, depending on the pixel’s position on the sensor. Many compact cameras have interline-transfer CCDs with a global shutter; these are free from rolling shutter artefacts (obviously) but can suffer from smearing. CMOS sensors usually have a rolling shutter; there are CMOS sensors implementing a global shutter but these are optimised for industrial and scientific applications rather than for photography as we know it.