• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 badler

badler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:24 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

I came across a wonderful, inexpensive and fast solution to backing up my SD cards when traveling.  I use it as insurance that if the camera is stolen, or an SD card fails.  The solution is a hack of the RavPower Filehub that I bought a year ago.  It costs about 40$ and works as a link between my SD cards and any USB drive.  I tend to us a few thumb drives, but any USB drive might work.  Following the instructions on the website it took my about 45 mins to get it to work.  I am not a computer programmer.  I know other 'pro' solutions exist but for hundreds of dollars, and the WB drive that used to be sold is not well reviewed. So far after a few weeks the solution seems solid.

https://www.frankie....r-photographers

Good luck

B

• Curiojo likes this

#2 konzy

konzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:59 AM

I just purchased the latest version of this Ravpower Filehub. I wanted something inexpensive, small, easy to use, that helps me backup my pictures when I'm traveling. During a recent trip to New York, I tried backing up my pictures with an iPad and an SD card adapter, in order to transfer everything in the cloud, but the transfer speed was super slow, and the iPad capacity (16 Gb) was too small, sadly.

This Ravpower Filehub seems quite different, and much more useful! I purchased a 128 Gb USB 3.0 thumb drive from Samsung (which apparently looks pretty tough and advertised as "waterproof", which can be handy while traveling), which I can plug in the Filehub. Then I insert the SD Card I want to backup, and with the app on my phone I simply copy paste the files I want to backup from the SD card to the USB drive.

I did a test with about 100 Mb of RAW files and a USB 2 thumb drive. It took about 10-15 seconds to transfer, which is not very fast. However, I'll do the test again with the USB 3 drive, hopefully it will be faster!

The Filehub also offers other advantages:

- It's an external battery, which means it can function on its own but also charge your smartphone or your camera (if it supports USB charging)

- There is an Ethernet slot, and the Filehub has Wi-Fi capabilities. This means that it can act as a router: plug an Ethernet cable, and share the connection via Wi-Fi. It can be handy in some situations where there is only an Ethernet plug and no Wi-Fi (even though we're in 2017...).

- It's quite small, and very handy if I don't want to take an iPad with me.

- It's a bargain: 36€ on Amazon.de..!

- You can use your existing hard drive or USB thumb drive, so no need to invest into something new.

- There are other features, which are not useful to me, like video or photo sharing. It's actually a miniature NAS, so it can act as a media server.

I'll do a few more real life tests in my next travel, but for the price, it really looks like a handy little travel companion!

Has anyone been using it too?

K

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close