1.  Copy all RAF+JPEG to e:\photo
2.  Run my custom batch script to:
    - move all files to specific subfolder by date created:
            YYYY\YYYYMM\YYYYMMDD
    - RAFs are placed under it, in RAW subfolder
    - file names are changed to YYYYMMDDHHMMSSL for JPEG and RAF,
      JPEGs are autorotated with jhead
3.  Then I rename the YYYYMMDD filder to YYYYMMDD-SessionName
4.  I launch JpegView and sort (scripts under keybindings!) the images to subfolders:
        out — bad shots
        backstage — well, obvious :)
        extra — some shots neededing extra attention
    Only the good JPEGs remain in the main session folder.
    When done, a script re–sorts the RAFs into the same named subfolders
5.  I launch CaptureOne, in session mode, go to my RAW folder
    and process the images.
6.  I export full size JPEG from processes RAF files into 'proc'
    subfolder. I might move good out of camera JPEGs there too.
7.  When further editing is needed [rarely, FX only] — GIMP FTW!
8.  Lastly, I launch a custom script to:
    - resize the full jpegs into 960px and 2048px,
      with tuned bilateral sharpening
    - pack it all into ZIP
    - upload to my server
    - create gallery
9.  When the 'outs' are really ugly, I run cleanup script,
    effectively removing them from existence.

Yeah, heavy automation for maintenance. ;)

My workflow is this:

1.  Copy all RAF+JPEG to e:\photo

2.  Run my custom batch script to:

- move all files to specific subfolder by date created:

YYYY\YYYYMM\YYYYMMDD

- RAFs are placed under it, in RAW subfolder

- file names are changed to YYYYMMDDHHMMSSL for JPEG and RAF,

JPEGs are autorotated with jhead

3.  Then I rename the YYYYMMDD filder to YYYYMMDD-SessionName

4.  I launch JpegView and sort (scripts under keybindings!) the images to subfolders:

out — bad shots

backstage — well, obvious :)

extra — some shots neededing extra attention

Only the good JPEGs remain in the main session folder.

When done, a script re–sorts the RAFs into the same named subfolders

5.  I launch CaptureOne, in session mode, go to my RAW folder

and process the images.

6.  I export full size JPEG from processes RAF files into 'proc'

subfolder. I might move good out of camera JPEGs there too.

7.  When further editing is needed [rarely, FX only] — GIMP FTW!

8.  Lastly, I launch a custom script to:

- resize the full jpegs into 960px and 2048px,

with tuned bilateral sharpening

- pack it all into ZIP

- upload to my server

- create gallery

9.  When the 'outs' are really ugly, I run cleanup script,

effectively removing them from existence.

Yeah, heavy automation for maintenance. ;)

Seems rather complicated ;-)  Seems to me like you work in IT and wanted the challenge, hehehe.

Seems rather complicated ;-)  Seems to me like you work in IT and wanted the challenge, hehehe.

Complicated for me was trying to use catalogs to manage 11 years of photos (~110 thousand files). LR gave up, C1 tried but grinded my PC to complete halt. It. Was. Sloooow. Unmanageable. And yes, I have UNIX–ish background, so scripting wasn't a challenge really — all these scripts together is like 20, maybe 30 lines, really easy. Additional feature of this workflow is, that I can change the RAW development tool, or even operating system (eg. switch to Linux with darktable) and the workflow stays the same.

Complicated for me was trying to use catalogs to manage 11 years of photos (~110 thousand files). LR gave up, C1 tried but grinded my PC to complete halt. It. Was. Sloooow. Unmanageable. And yes, I have UNIX–ish background, so scripting wasn't a challenge really — all these scripts together is like 20, maybe 30 lines, really easy. Additional feature of this workflow is, that I can change the RAW development tool, or even operating system (eg. switch to Linux with darktable) and the workflow stays the same.

Cool.

I had many years of images when I began using Lightroom. I split them in catalogs by year and it was able to handle the burden.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

1. Import JPEG and RAW from SD card into named folder with date and title (e.g. 150701-London)

2. Add folder to LR catalogue (by year)

3. Choose best photos (no selection by pick or colour)

4. Process using RAW file in Photoshop using Guy Gowan's process ( www.guygowan.com)

5. Import processed file back into LR

6. Export as JPEG for print or for web.

If I just took a picture of whatever-the-hell, I'll have set the camera to only make a .JPG, therefore:

1. Import using standard Lightroom import function; everything left to default.
  2. ctrl+click each file I want.
  3. Export to desktop as a .jpg, scaling to 1200 or 540 pixels on the long side and low sharpening for screen. 200kb limit for 540 res files, quality at 95 for 1200 res. Use original file name.
  4. Delete original .jpg, delete import folder, format SD card. Delete scaled .jpg once I'm done posting it wherever. I do not keep these kinds of files for longer than an hour or so.

If I used a Fuji on a job, I'll have shot raw. In that case:

1. Import using standard Lightroom function; Lightroom automatically sets my Fuji raw files to use the Pro Negative Standard colour profile, no noise reduction, no colour or contrast alterations, linear tone curve and sharpening set to 15.
  2. display images fit to screen, right arrow through, hitting P for each image I like. I don't debate or go back over images. I either like it or I don't.
  3. Filter folder to only show unflagged images; delete all unflagged files. Display all flagged images. Select all.
  4. If it's a product shoot, push Clarity and Vibrance to +10 each, White to +20 and take Black to -20. Sync all files. Any other kind of job, skip this step.
  5. Export as a .jpg, resolution, quality and sharpening depending on subject & client. File name is either date & number sequence or custom name & number sequence, depending on the client.
  6. Delete unused files and format SD card.

For cataloguing and file storage, I simply make a fresh catalogue for each new year. I keep the previous year's catalogue (e.g. 2014) and delete anything from the year before that (e.g. 2013). No tagging, no keywords, no copyright. Nobody cares. The joys of working in modern medias and fashions is people are really into something on Monday and have moved on to the next big thing by the end of Friday. There's not even really any point in keeping files for longer than a month. Accuracy and resolution are the thing that matter most so I've got other photo software on this computer but never touch it; Photoshop is a dirty word in my circles. Just keep it simple, keep it quick, I can do a month's work in two afternoons. If I were a wedding photographer or some such, and I had to piss about archiving thousands of files and airbrushing skin and switching between multiple programs and running everything through plugins and making up books and whatever, I'd just not bother and go work in retail. Sod all that, life's too short. Import, pick, export, forget about it. Job done, time for tea and cake.

If I just took a picture of whatever-the-hell, I'll have set the camera to only make a .JPG, therefore:

• Import using standard Lightroom import function; everything left to default.
  • ctrl+click each file I want.
  • Export to desktop as a .jpg, scaling to 1200 or 540 pixels on the long side and low sharpening for screen. 200kb limit for 540 res files, quality at 95 for 1200 res. Use original file name.
  • Delete original .jpg, delete import folder, format SD card. Delete scaled .jpg once I'm done posting it wherever. I do not keep these kinds of files for longer than an hour or so.
If I used a Fuji on a job, I'll have shot raw. In that case:
  • Import using standard Lightroom function; Lightroom automatically sets my Fuji raw files to use the Pro Negative Standard colour profile, no noise reduction, no colour or contrast alterations, linear tone curve and sharpening set to 15.
  • display images fit to screen, right arrow through, hitting P for each image I like. I don't debate or go back over images. I either like it or I don't.
  • Filter folder to only show unflagged images; delete all unflagged files. Display all flagged images. Select all.
  • If it's a product shoot, push Clarity and Vibrance to +10 each, White to +20 and take Black to -20. Sync all files. Any other kind of job, skip this step.
  • Export as a .jpg, resolution, quality and sharpening depending on subject & client. File name is either date & number sequence or custom name & number sequence, depending on the client.
  • Delete unused files and format SD card.

For cataloguing and file storage, I simply make a fresh catalogue for each new year. I keep the previous year's catalogue (e.g. 2014) and delete anything from the year before that (e.g. 2013). No tagging, no keywords, no copyright. Nobody cares. The joys of working in modern medias and fashions is people are really into something on Monday and have moved on to the next big thing by the end of Friday. There's not even really any point in keeping files for longer than a month. Accuracy and resolution are the thing that matter most so I've got other photo software on this computer but never touch it; Photoshop is a dirty word in my circles. Just keep it simple, keep it quick, I can do a month's work in two afternoons. If I were a wedding photographer or some such, and I had to piss about archiving thousands of files and airbrushing skin and switching between multiple programs and running everything through plugins and making up books and whatever, I'd just not bother and go work in retail. Sod all that, life's too short. Import, pick, export, forget about it. Job done, time for tea and cake.

Interesting approach aceflibble.

Photoshop is also a dirty word here [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I looked up and researched a lot of different ways to keep using my lightroom catalog system but use other optimized Fuji X softwares to process the images (at least the bulk of the processing).  I bumped into this article that helped solve my issues on the the broad stokes on how to do it and a video explaining the details (i.e. auto import and export to and from LR to C1) that I now follow to the "T". The video is a fabulous example of a workflow that I recommend to anyone interesting in this dual software system.

Article: https://luminous-landscape.com/a-workflow-combining-capture-one-and-lightroom/

Video:

Hope this is helpful to some!!

Nate

• 2 months later...
Guest gwadadesf

very interesting about your post 

for me the first step is to select all my images, no in capture one or in lightroom but in photo-mechanics because it's fastest.

i tag all images selected and add star if i think it's very great

once done i create a session in capture one 

make editing and export all photos in different format, it depends on the website target.

i archive the session in a catalog 

but i think i will maybe add ligthroom for better selection.in the first step 

regards

First I fix the Fuji Shortcoming of folder naming by renaming the folder ON MY CARDS to yyyy-mm-dd maybe adding a descriptor if all is one batch.

(this is my only reason for posting since no one else mentioned it)

Then I copy to my DCIM directory on my computer(s)

When available I split the RAW and JPG into folders and later copy important images to a "Show" folder - I rarely need the RAW as I shoot at -0.3EV most of the time.

I add extensions as I go xxx-show - or -  xxx-show-cr-fx including v1, v2 etc. keeping the original serial number in the beginning.

It works for me as I am in Windows. I use ACDSee Pro - it lacks XTrans RAW - but it very fast and has an incredible developer that is very logical and it is Fully Integrated with the Windows file system so all file sorts line up logically by date and extended name. It is also is non destructive adding a backup automatically. The backup and sidecar does not pollute your folders as they are in a subfolder.

I have Lightroom but it makes no sense to me that it is not integrated into the filesystem. Opening an old or new directory is painfully slow and as usual with Adobe not worth the wait or money so I don't use it except for special features like making slide shows for online.

Are there any software hacks for in-camera File Naming???

• 2 months later...

Hi all. Great topic. Frustrating issue. Working in Lightroon CC (6), I had following workflow till now with all successive cameras (Nikon D200, D7000, D800 then Fuji X-T1 / X-T10 / X100T):

1. manage one single LR catalog with ~40000 pics, mostly RAW
  2. import RAW from memory card
  3. at import rename to YYYYMMDD_original_name.RAF
  4. at import sort into monthly folders (ie. 2015-01 till 2015-12 to limit number of pictures per folder)
  5. at import generate Smart Previews
  6. at import generate 1:1 Previews
  7. apply basic keywords
  8. let previews generation finish or start already editing: discard about 20% straight away, over several passes spread over months can reject up to 50%
  9. develop best pics
  10. copy paste development if necessary
  11. (export best pics)

Notes:

• I now edit with an iMac 5K 27" 2014, all pics and previews on SSD
  • importing 100 D800 NEF (36 MP) takes 9 minutes 50"
  • importing 100 X-T1/X-T10/X100T RAF (16 MP) takes 13 minutes 17" (+30% more time for -50% less pixels)
  • D800 NEF imports were already ~+30% slower than D200/D7000's

Yes I know I'd better take keepers only for starting, but that's not always possible (wildlife or shallow focus issues) and creatively I need the editing process. Sometimes my workflow is so frustrating slow that I'm even looking at changing my Fujis! But of course the issue is LR, not Fujifilm.

Now moving to this new workflow: taking RAW + jpeg fine

1. manage one single LR catalog with ~40000 pics, mostly RAW
  2. import RAW + jpeg from memory card
  3. at import rename to YYYYMMDD_original_name.RAF
  4. at import sort into monthly folders (ie. 2015-01 till 2015-12 to limit number of pictures per folder)
  5. at import generate Smart Previews
  6. at import generate 1:1 Previews
  7. apply basic keywords
  8. apply a saved filter on jpegs only
  9. let Smart Previews generation finish or start already editing: discard about 20% straight away, over several passes spread over months can reject up to 50%
  10. after editing finished generate 1:1 previews to all pics
  11. develop best pics
  12. copy paste development if necessary
  13. (export best pics)
  14. (delete jpegs)

I checked that the iMac 5K was performing as well as a similar 2560x1440 desktop PC with similar specs, SSD as well. I checked that splitting my library across multiple catalogs didn't improve import speed. I checked that starting from fresh LR install with no presets at all didn't increase speed as well.

Honestly I still enjoy LR offer but not Silkypix, ACR & Photo Mechanic. Capture One is an option but needs substantial time investment and money.

Hey guys - first post on here...yay!

I've struggled in the past with finding a workflow which meets all of my needs, and have come to the conclusion over time that the simpler the better. Having said that you do have to make something of an investment in organising your pics in order to keep things simpler later on. I'm currently trying the following workflow, and it seems to be OK at the moment, certainly for my basic needs (I'm not a pro).

Import from SD card

Create meaningful named folder - by year - e.g. 2014 Italy Holiday
Import photos to folder and store in date folders within that. e.g.
>2014
>>>2014 Italy Holiday
>>>>>>>2014-07-28
>>>>>>>2014-07-29
>>>2014 London Trip
>>>>>>>2014-10-12
etc

Review each photo
X - reject - where it really is unusable - out of focus, missed subject etc. or sometimes where the poorest of many similar shots.
P - Pick for those I want to work on, even if only general wb, exp, crop, sharp etc.
leave as unflagged those I don't want to delete but which I'm probably not going  to do any work on. This is typically family/holiday pics I want to keep as memories rather than for any photographic merit.

I typically shoot in both Raw and JPEG

Filter on Unflagged - review and delete (x) Raw equivalents where present (i.e. just keep the JPEGs)
Filter on Picks - review and delete (x) JPEGs (I.e. just keep the RAWs for working on) unless merit in keeping JPEG conversion/film simulation 
Review and delete rejects (see below)

Filter Unflagged - set rating to 1*
Filter Picks - set rating to 2*

I could just give them a star rating to begin with rather than flags, but I like to make a conscious decision about rejects - and if I were to assume that after first review anything unrated was a delete I might end up deleting something I haven't actually reviewed.

Create Collection with meaningful name in appropriate collection set - include all photos remaining from import.

Filter on 2* within collection and process - I do basic editing in lightroom and more advanced (esp B&W) in PS/Nik as necessary
Change rating of each photo to 3* once processed. . 

Repeat until no 2* left in collection. Filter on 3* and add labels.

Review 3* and change rating to 4* for best pictures within collection - add red label to pics which are good (e.g. 4*) but could probably be improved further with more processing when I have time.
Assign 5* if photo worthy of overall best status in all photos (i.e my very best photos)

Done.

This then gives me simple filtering options where I can quickly find all the half decent pics (3*), good pics (4*), and best pics (5*) within a category, or label or across whole catalog.

Can also filter on 2* to see what I have left to process at any time (across collections if necessary), and 4*+red to carry on doing more work on the better pics.

I can also review the 1* to make sure I've not missed any opportunities.

Only thing that I'm wondering is whether to delay the reject deletion just in case on further review I might see some new possibility in a pic. I also wonder whether, with hard/external storage becoming so cheap, it's even worth deleting Raws of 1* and Jpegs of 2*....? Possibly not but it keeps the catalog cleaner.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...