X-T10 split image focus

I  bought a Fujifilm X-T10 a few months back, and I am disappointed--not in the camera itself but in my own inability to master its many features. I love shooting macro, and bought an after-market adapter so I can use my old trusty Nikkor 55 mm macro lens on the Fuji. Once, when the adapter was new, I went into the Fuji shooting menu and actually saw in the display the desired split image, and I was delighted. Now, whenever I put on the macro, set the focus switch to manual, and select "split image" from the shooting menu I don't get the split image function but some funky "box" in the middle of the display that is like looking through a window screen. Can anyone tell me procedure for getting the split image function to work? Thanks. 

• 3 weeks later...

The B&W box is the split image. If you then click the rear command dial, the viewfinder will zoom in on just that box. If you click the rear command dial again, it'll zoom back out to the entire scene (with the box in the center).

Note: the effectiveness of the splitting depends on having a larger aperture (small f-number). You'll want to set your lens wide-open while focusing, then stop it down as desired to take the picture. The camera's phase-detect sensors are designed for f/8 at the maximum, and even at f/8 you won't get much "splitting" effect.

Personally, I prefer focus-peaking or even the "standard" 2-level zoom.