#21 romi.gilles

romi.gilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Locationback in Crooklyn

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:19 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)
i've got the smaller brother - the 16L...

2015-07-09_11-03-45_zps13sqmwz3.jpg
for a small and light daypack when it's not all about the gear, it's really nice.

then when it's mostly about the gear, i use my F-stop...

20141220_143716_2_zpsyyaff0qq.jpg
  • CRAusmus likes this

x: x100f (+ both converters), x-pro2, two x-t1 (sold), x-e2, x100s (sold), x-e1 (sold)

xf: 23mm WR, 35mm WR , 50-140mm WR, 23mm, 27mm (got pancaked), 56mm, 35mm, 14mm, 18-55mm (sold)

adapted lenses: contax g 90mm f2,8, contax g 45mm f2, mc rokkor-x pg 50mm f1.4, m rokkor 40mm f2

#22 marcelo_valente

marcelo_valente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:08 AM

i've got the smaller brother - the 16L...

2015-07-09_11-03-45_zps13sqmwz3.jpg
for a small and light daypack when it's not all about the gear, it's really nice.

then when it's mostly about the gear, i use my F-stop...

20141220_143716_2_zpsyyaff0qq.jpg

Romi, I guess from the picture that I would not be able to fit what I need in the 16L, would I?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

My flickr; Flickr Sets; My instagram . I shoot with a X-E2 and XF 27mm, XF 35mm, XF 60mm, XF 18-55m, XC 50-230mm, and soon also with the XF 18mm

#23 romi.gilles

romi.gilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:56 AM

Romi, I guess from the picture that I would not be able to fit what I need in the 16L, would I?

Thanks

i just referred back to your previous posts to see what you had going on. i think what you listed would definitely fit. in the first pic i sent, i had the X-E1 with the 18-55 and two primes, one on either side of it. and i think i had a windbreaker and an apple in the top compartment which you could replace for your longer zoom.

1030318_zpswcpryrrv.jpg
^
currently, i'm using my Hatchback as my lens storage while i'm mostly using my m43 system at this time. so, just to give you an idea: my 16L has four primes in the lower compartment and...

1030319_zpsjmikglr2.jpg
^
the 50-140 in the top compartment. those are just the lenses. i have my X-E2 and X-T1 in another bag.

i say it's a great daypack when you're not all about your gear. have maybe just a couple of primes, spare batteries, a sweater and some snacks & bottled water, and you're good for the streets where you mostly stick to one or two focal lengths (where you don't have to switch lenses often which means having to remove the bag). i'll get to more about this in a moment.

i like the fact that it's a backpack to help divide the weight between both shoulders. i've had slings in the past, but i started to hate the design because (as i believe you, too, have mentioned) they're usually designed for one shoulder. at least with my messenger bags, i could always switch shoulders once one shoulder starts cramping.

so to continue about the 16L, you definitely have to remove the bag to get to the lower, main compartment which faces your backside. even to get to the top compartment, you'll still have to remove the bag. now, if you're traveling and are willing to go to something larger than the Hatchback 16L, then i think that's probably the best thing (especially when traveling) since you'd usually want to fit the most you can in the least amount of bags possible. nobody wants to pay more for more checked luggages. but as far as using it for the streets with a small kit (or even your kit you mentioned), it may be a bit much. at least for me, i rather be more free from such a thing when i'm exploring a town or city doing street photography. that's where i prefer a small messenger bag.

quick access was something i, too, needed to have. of all the Mountain series backpacks from F-stop, my version was the only one with the side-access for quickly one-shouldering the bag underneath my arm and swapping lenses. what's more is that i can do that with both sides of the bag from either shoulder. also, i'm glad this happened to be the smallest Mountain series backpack in the line. i don't think i'd like to go bigger than this (again) even for traveling.

_RFG0049_zps11bb789a.jpg
^
here's how easy it is to grab a prime from one side while the bag hangs from one shoulder.

_RFG0046_zps9b34c571.jpg
^
i can grab my zoom from the other side while the bag hangs from the other shoulder.

_RFG0036_zps75491227.jpg
^
just as a size comparison to the 16L. it can be a pretty tall bag - i had an extra set of clothes in there.

_RFG0034_zpsc8f131f9.jpg
^
or with less packed in the top compartment, you can roll the top down to make it a shorter bag.

hope that helps.

(Sent from another Galaxy)
  • CRAusmus likes this

x: x100f (+ both converters), x-pro2, two x-t1 (sold), x-e2, x100s (sold), x-e1 (sold)

xf: 23mm WR, 35mm WR , 50-140mm WR, 23mm, 27mm (got pancaked), 56mm, 35mm, 14mm, 18-55mm (sold)

adapted lenses: contax g 90mm f2,8, contax g 45mm f2, mc rokkor-x pg 50mm f1.4, m rokkor 40mm f2

#24 marcelo_valente

marcelo_valente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:37 PM

i just referred back to your previous posts to see what you had going on. i think what you listed would definitely fit. in the first pic i sent, i had the X-E1 with the 18-55 and two primes, one on either side of it. and i think i had a windbreaker and an apple in the top compartment which you could replace for your longer zoom.

Hi Romi, thanks for the very long answer with pics and all.  Really appreciate it.

Did you mean it would all fit in the 16L?  I was a bit in doubt, sorry.  I'm thinking that maybe I can stack the 12mm and the 35mm in one compartment, put the 50-230 in another and the X-E2 with the 18-55 in the other, is that right?

I'll be traveling through Spain, by car.  So the idea is to have a walk around bag for the day.  The big bags will stay at the hotel.

I  have a Lowepro Event Messenger 100 bag that will fit the X-E2 with the 18-55, the 12mm and the 35mm ok.  But then, the 50-230 won't fit.  I bought the Event Messenger 150 thinking it would be a little bigger and fit it all, but, it turned out to be huge and does not fit the purpose of traveling light, or with small bags.  

So, now I'm thinking.  Get the 16L and work with the fact that I might have to remove the bag to change the lens.  I've seen some videos of people turning the bag around on it's waist strap and opening it standing up held by that strap, but, I don't know if that will really work.

The other thought I'm having is to buy a protection bag/case for the 50-230 and keep it in another bag (on my wife sholders). But I'm thinking that in the end the lens I put there might not even be used.  Maybe I'll take the Lowepro Event Messenger 100 with me.  Small bag, easy to have access to the lenses and change them.    Don't even know if having such a long lens in a trip to Spain will be of much use, so maybe I should leave the 50-230 at home and work with only those three lenses.

My flickr; Flickr Sets; My instagram . I shoot with a X-E2 and XF 27mm, XF 35mm, XF 60mm, XF 18-55m, XC 50-230mm, and soon also with the XF 18mm

#25 romi.gilles

romi.gilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:16 PM

MG_3042-web.jpg
(pic from Google)

the Samyang 12mm looks about the same size of the XF14 if not smaller, correct? if so, I believe it would all definitely fit the 16L.

IMG_20130510_18135201_zpskvrcyovf.jpg
^
in this configuration, i had the X-E1 + 18-55 attached, XF35 and XF14 (this could be your 12mm). the extra 2"-long dividers I had just below each lens could be removed to accommodate a larger-in-diameter lens.

2015-07-13_11-02-22_zpsjc3g7png.jpg
^
you could then place your 50-230 in the upper compartment of the bag. a lens pouch would be nice for added protection, or.. depending on the season/climate where you're going, you could toss a light windbreaker or light sweater in there to help keep it from moving around.

BTW, if you happen to keep on (I removed mine) and wear the waist strap/belt, you could swing the bag to your front side to swap out lenses from the main camera compartment in the back sort of like this...

_RFG0051_zps9bbb8016.jpg

• marcelo_valente likes this

#26 marcelo_valente

marcelo_valente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:26 PM

MG_3042-web.jpg
(pic from Google)

the Samyang 12mm looks about the same size of the XF14 if not smaller, correct? if so, I believe it would all definitely fit the 16L.

IMG_20130510_18135201_zpskvrcyovf.jpg
^
in this configuration, i had the X-E1 + 18-55 attached, XF35 and XF14 (this could be your 12mm). the extra 2"-long dividers I had just below each lens could be removed to accommodate a larger-in-diameter lens.

2015-07-13_11-02-22_zpsjc3g7png.jpg
^
you could then place your 50-230 in the upper compartment of the bag. a lens pouch would be nice for added protection, or.. depending on the season/climate where you're going, you could toss a light windbreaker or light sweater in there to help keep it from moving around.

BTW, if you happen to keep on (I removed mine) and wear the waist strap/belt, you could swing the bag to your front side to swap out lenses from the main camera compartment in the back sort of like this...

_RFG0051_zps9bbb8016.jpg

Cool.  Thanks again for the the tips.  I really appreciate it!  It does look like a good option, specially since we might be all day out and about.  

Thank you very much once again!! 

#27 romi.gilles

romi.gilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:41 PM

Cool. Thanks again for the the tips. I really appreciate it! It does look like a good option, specially since we might be all day out and about.

Thank you very much once again!!

sure. np. you could always keep your 50-230 in the same space meant for the body + 18-55 while you're walking around with your camera at hand. and if you're going into a cafe or restaurant, just quickly toss the body w/lens into the top compartment.

#28 marcelo_valente

marcelo_valente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:51 PM

sure. np. you could always keep your 50-230 in the same space meant for the body + 18-55 while you're walking around with your camera at hand. and if you're going into a cafe or restaurant, just quickly toss the body w/lens into the top compartment.

I was just thinking that exact thing. Thanks!

#29 ExpatWanka

ExpatWanka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:46 AM

The  Lowepro Photo Hatchback is mighty impressive but at 22L is a tad too small for my traveling needs. I am shifting to mirrorless with my recent purchase of the XT2 and intend to travel a fair bit with it. I plan to carry that along with a 35mm f/2 lens and the Samyang 12mm lens. Overall I am looking for a good travel backpack which shall also give me an option of keeping my camera secure. I have spent ages looking around for a bag that fits my needs (I need a good amount of space for personal items, a laptop and a fairly small space for camera gear), but all the large camera bags seem to cater to people with loads of camera gear and not for people like me.

Currently I am in the position of using a Tenba BYOB camera insert into my regular travel backpack and although it keeps my camera secure and gives me room for personal items, I do find it inconvenient to access the cameras and would like a more streamlined option. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

• claude likes this

#30 tikinet

tikinet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida - USA

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:19 PM

Slightly off topic ... but for home storage and rugged travels ... I use the Pelican iM2100. Case fits nicely in the safe. Always in an environmentally / climate controlled area. Perfect size for MY gear. -Cheers!

PelicanCaseiM2100.jpg

... the difference between men and boys, is the price of their toys ;)

#31 Tom H.

Tom H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:12 AM

The Lowepro Photo Hatchback is mighty impressive but at 22L is a tad too small for my traveling needs. I am shifting to mirrorless with my recent purchase of the XT2 and intend to travel a fair bit with it. I plan to carry that along with a 35mm f/2 lens and the Samyang 12mm lens. Overall I am looking for a good travel backpack which shall also give me an option of keeping my camera secure. I have spent ages looking around for a bag that fits my needs (I need a good amount of space for personal items, a laptop and a fairly small space for camera gear), but all the large camera bags seem to cater to people with loads of camera gear and not for people like me.

Currently I am in the position of using a Tenba BYOB camera insert into my regular travel backpack and although it keeps my camera secure and gives me room for personal items, I do find it inconvenient to access the cameras and would like a more streamlined option. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Check our the new Peak Design backpacks. I don't own one, but I've seen a prototype and they are very modular.

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close