Hello from Lincolnshire UK

Evening all. 

My names Jim from a little city called Lincoln, Lincolnshire in the UK. If you're reading this and from the UK, you've probably heard of where I am from recently due to the success of our football team. I'm not a football fan, but it's good the boys have done well.

I've been into photography from a really young age, starting off from pinching my parents Kodak film camera (the long thin type you pulled apart and pushed together to wind the film on!) and having one of my photos I took of a windmill locally, published in the local paper when I was around 8 or 9 years old.

It wasn't until about 13 years ago that I really started to take a real interest in the hobby. I saved up and bought a Fuji S9600 Bridge Camera. I loved this and it really helped develop my skills, but it begun to restrict me somewhat with regards to versatility (unable to change lens) and go fully manual to learn what things do.
I then purchased a Pentax K10d DSLR and built up a small collection of lenses, which I used to death up until last year, when a colleague of mine began to show me his collection of various Fuji X cameras. I loved the design, how compact they were but most of all the image quality, notably the ISO perfomance, which I still can't believe today.  

I have been a happy owner of my XT-10 now for almost a year. I have the basic XF 18-55mm, which for a "kit" lens is unbeliebable quality, a XC 50-230mm which I use a lot for wildlife photography and motorsport's and a Samyang 8mm Fish eye. 

I would love a few more different lenses, particularly the 100-400mm lens, but with the cost it's completely pipe dreams for me. I may hire one, but I worry that it'll make me want one even more.  Would also love another lens to help with wedding photography, something that will give a nice DOF. I have one wedding under my belt, but need more confidence!

Anyway, that's my rather long winded hello. I'm off to explore the forum. 

regards,

Jim.

• 1 month later...

Jim, stop collecting lenses. Forget DOF, it is some word which is En Vogue  by the new breed photographer who misses quality and style.

A 400 mm tele ?      Buy a sturdy tripod.    

And a cheap adapter to mount an analog 400 mm with M42 screw. Any brand will do, even GDR /DDR.

• 2 months later...

Evening all. 

My names Jim from a little city called Lincoln, Lincolnshire in the UK. If you're reading this and from the UK, you've probably heard of where I am from recently due to the success of our football team. I'm not a football fan, but it's good the boys have done well.

I've been into photography from a really young age, starting off from pinching my parents Kodak film camera (the long thin type you pulled apart and pushed together to wind the film on!) and having one of my photos I took of a windmill locally, published in the local paper when I was around 8 or 9 years old.

It wasn't until about 13 years ago that I really started to take a real interest in the hobby. I saved up and bought a Fuji S9600 Bridge Camera. I loved this and it really helped develop my skills, but it begun to restrict me somewhat with regards to versatility (unable to change lens) and go fully manual to learn what things do.

I then purchased a Pentax K10d DSLR and built up a small collection of lenses, which I used to death up until last year, when a colleague of mine began to show me his collection of various Fuji X cameras. I loved the design, how compact they were but most of all the image quality, notably the ISO perfomance, which I still can't believe today.  

I have been a happy owner of my XT-10 now for almost a year. I have the basic XF 18-55mm, which for a "kit" lens is unbeliebable quality, a XC 50-230mm which I use a lot for wildlife photography and motorsport's and a Samyang 8mm Fish eye. 

I would love a few more different lenses, particularly the 100-400mm lens, but with the cost it's completely pipe dreams for me. I may hire one, but I worry that it'll make me want one even more.  Would also love another lens to help with wedding photography, something that will give a nice DOF. I have one wedding under my belt, but need more confidence!

Anyway, that's my rather long winded hello. I'm off to explore the forum. 

regards,

Jim.

Hi Jim, I hail from sunny Scunthorpe, so yes not only have I heard of it but I sometimes in the dim past cycled from Scunthorpe to Lincoln. Welcome to the forum, as you see another newby. Those bigger lenses are quite heavy items, I am sure they perform exceedingly well. Myself I am sticking with 2 primes, the 23mm and 50mm both F2 lenses. I have some LeicaM glass, so I guess the 90/135 may get use with the M-adaptor.

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forums

My X-T10 and the XF-35 F/1.4 are my go to kit, I can't recommend that lens high enough.

The XF100-400 is a brilliant lens, it is too heavy for me to walk around with, but when setup it produce great results.

I find the XC50-230 very good, but you already know this.