Fuji issue, instead the usual wishing polls

I've noticed that on my X-E2 there's a big issue, and I've read it comes from the X-E1 and it's never been solved by Fuji: the EV dial do not work in manual mode.

It's really silly. It does in AF-E and AF-L but not in manual.

So if I want to keep the speed and aperture I chose, acting on the EV dial, I can't.

Hope Fuji will solve this major issue.

What did you want it to do? The exposure compensation dial is not supposed to override aperture and shutter speed if you're on manual. However, if you set the ISO to Auto, the Exposure compensation dial will adjust the ISO for you. But you need to update your camera to firmware v4.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Still don’t understand why.

I know exactly ( within 6 stops) of how much I am under or over exposing. Not only I can also see it in the EVF which in my camera shows pretty much the same image that I will get.

This is the most important achievement of mirrorless photography over dslr. You can extend the rage even more by using the ISO dial which is of course totally functional.

Edited by milandro

Why should it work?

Because it's there. Having the chance to work on the ISO, beside speed and aperture, I want to have the chance to adjust it the way I want without having to change the speed or aperture to reach the same results. That won't be the same, obviously.

And I have my camera update to the latest firmware. Also on full manual, the dial doesn't work in manual mode.

And this is an issue, not a personal thought nor preference.

Edited by lleo

yes, exactly, it doesn’t, that’s what I’m saying.

If it would (as apparently it does on the X-T2 and X-Pro 2) what you do to the file is absolutely equivalent to changing ISO if you leave the shutter speed and the aperture the same.

The fact that “ it is there” doesn’t mean much,it is really a function not pertaining the use of a camera in manual exposure (even if they now seem to have created that “ function”).

EV compensation dials first appeared on the first automatic exposure cameras, manual exposure camera never had one. But yes there is a difference with a film camera.

In a film camera if you put the ISO at a different sensitivity you will effectively push or pull the film. This doesn’t happen in a digital camera but you can use the ISO dial as if it was the EV correction and in the EVF you will see the image getting darker or lighter accordingly if you stick to the shutter/aperture couple.

But If I want a lighter or darker picture I can actually see in the EVF and what you see (if the evf is well programmed) is pretty much what you get. 

In any case it is all academic when you use RAF files .

Edited by milandro

Right, Picturer. The silliest thing is they put a control for working with a certain mode, aperture priority or speed priority, and not making it work when you want to do all in manual.

As said above, with a normal camera (read "analog") you could keep the aperture and time chosen and act on the iso.

Well, now it would be the same just because it happens the same. I set up a certain speed and aperture, so if I can adjust the compensatiion without touching anything else, ISO included (I mean not having to change from 100 to 200 or so), it would be useful.

At least for me.

On cameras without dedicated ISO dial like the E-1/2/2s, T-10/20,and Pro-1 the exposure compensation dial could make a kind of ISO dial in full manual mode. As the EV compensation dial has no other function we would not miss anything by this.

Edit: Typo corrected

Edited by Jürgen Heger

On cameras without dedicated ISO dial like the E-1/2/2s, T-10/20,and Pro-1 the exposure compensation dial could make a kind of ISO dial in full manual mode. As the EV compensation dial has no other function we would not miss anything by this.

True, but it would be confusing. I think you should avoid dials that have different functions depending on the shooting mode. In that respect, I think the current implementation on the X-E2 is the correct one.

It is my understanding of OP's request and not really my own idea. But it would not confuse me. So I would not be disappointed if it was included in the next firmware for my E2s or my E1 :-). However, I am not really missing it. In fact, I am so happy with my E2s and T1, E1 is lent out to a friend, that even GAS could not convince me to buy a T2 or Pro2. At least so far :-).

And of course, I do not really expect another firmware update for the old cameras.

• 2 weeks later...

OKay so you wnat to use EV dial to adjust exposure when you have manually set your Aperture or SS, well in Auto ISO mode you can do exactly that, the EV dial will adjust exposure up and down using ISO as the parameter that is adjusted. Assuming that the chosen Aperture and SS leave enough ISO bandwidth (e.g if you chosen settings means your exposure is centred on the meter at ISo 200 and you want to drop exposure by a stop, sorry you have run out of ISO, that is the physics of the camera and if you want to go lower with those settings you will need an ND fllter or you will have to compromise on SS or Aperture. This would be true in all cameras, although some cameras natively have a lower ISO floor, but you get my gist eventually you will hit it and the EV dial has nowhere to go)

In full manual mode of course its impossible to adjust because its a closed system. There are only 3 parameters that can be adjusted to affect Exposure, ISO/Aperture and SS, if all are fixed, just what is the EV dial going to adjust? Sure you could set it so that in Full manual the EV still adjusted ISO, but that is a redundancy as its repeating the Auto ISO settings above whilst removing the option of a true full manual mode which is vital to a lot of still photographers (don't want there ISO to creep) and to a lot of videographers who don't want their exposure messed with once its set.

So in conclusion the OP does not understand how his camera works, it is working as designed and gives him all the options that are possible without re-writing physics.

G

Er the X-E2 which is the camera the OP states he has, got that feature in FW 4.0 he is correct in his statement that the X-E1 would not have been able to do it.

Please see here 

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3187406995/fujifilm-x-e2-firmware-4-00-brings-classic-chrome-and-other-x-e2s-features

and excerpt from release with pertinent line in bold and underlined.

So I think the OP either has not updated firmware to the latest, or does not really understand how the EV control in manual works.

Substantial firmware updates for the X-E2, delivering a new AF system for better capture of moving subjects among other improvements and function enhancements

[ Improvements and function enhancements with this firmware update ]

1. New AF System

(1) New AF system with Zone and Wide/Tracking modes for effortless capture of moving subjects
    (2) Improvement of AF accuracy
    (3) Eye Detection AF
    (4) Auto Macro mode
    (5) AF improvement in the Movie mode

2. Function enhancements

(6) High-speed electronic shutter with a maximum speed of 1/32000sec.*
    (7) White Balance Bracketing
    (8) Enhanced ISO Auto Setting to AUTO1/AUTO2/AUTO3
    (9) Exposure Compensation control in Manual.
    (10) Natural Live View function is just like the naked eye.
    (11) Finer lines on the framing grid enhances visibility
    (12) New Video Frame rates (50P / 25P / 24P)
    (13) Manual Shooting in Video mode
    (14) Phase detection AF support for Instant AF
    (15) Expansion of shutter speed in Program Shift mode

3. Operability improvements
Edited by gordonrussell76