#1 yukosteel

yukosteel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:30 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

I had Nikon AF 300mm f4 at the time purchased X-E1. It was tough to focus using viewfinder, and almost impossible when using screen handheld. So just sold that glass as well as other Nikon stuff.

X-E2 and X-E2s have lower magnification mode in the viewfinder comparing to X-E1, and it makes focusing with all lens noticeably easier for me. I've realized that price went dramatically down for Nikon AF glass, and just purchased AF 300mm again almost two times cheaper then sold it in 2013.

Here's one of the result from this lens on X-E2s. I've purchased lens for bird shooting, but didn't catch nice bird yet : )

34037728041_71d5ee7696_c.jpg

• Aswald likes this

#2 Aswald

Aswald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:36 AM

Nice & sharp.

#3 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:40 AM

it is one of the best lenses that nikon ever made. Much more compact that it’s big brother 2.8, was much appreciated by people whom wanted to shoot with a lens lighter (and cheaper) than the that!

The IF makes focussing relatively easy because you don’t have to rotate the barrel all that much.

Of course this on a aps-c results in an angle even narrower than originally intended.

• yukosteel likes this

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

Please remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products. They don’t even pay you for this! Nobody really wants to know about the brand and type of your phone or the program that you use to post on the forum.

#4 Adam Woodhouse

Adam Woodhouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:46 AM

Sweet!

:D

Fujifilm X-T2 and X-T1
16mm/1.4 | 35mm/1.4 | 10-24mm/4 | 16-55mm/2.8 | 50-140/2,8 | 18-135mm

Rokinon 8mm/2.8

Flashes: Fujifilm EF-X500, iNissin i40 and two Yongnou 565's

Classic Lens Adapters: Pentax K, M42, Canon FD, Nikon and Minolta

Adam Woodhouse, Wedding Photographer
Ontario, Canada
http://www.woodhousephotography.com
Twitter: @woodhousephoto

#5 yukosteel

yukosteel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:44 AM

One of the benefit of this AF 300mm f4 model - its focus limiter ring. It's designed to set Autofocus limit range, e.g. infinity - 5m.

Nikon AF lens often allow focus ring to bypass the infinity (which is required for more effective autofocus).

So when I focus on far objects manually on Fuji X, it takes time to catch the infinity point.

The focus limiter allows to limit max focus ring range on exact infinity point. So I don't need to hunt for that anymore and simply rotate focus ring until it stops.

#6 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:21 AM

yes, I forgot to talk about the limiter, indeed.

Please remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products. They don’t even pay you for this! Nobody really wants to know about the brand and type of your phone or the program that you use to post on the forum.

#7 yukosteel

yukosteel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:40 PM

That 300mm is already sensitive to atmospheric conditions, very far objects can be noticeably distorted by air mass fluctuations.

Mt Rainier, X-E2s + AF Nikkor 300mm f4, distance is approx 90 miles.

34201805535_262d010ff3_b.jpg

• Aswald likes this

#8 yukosteel

yukosteel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:05 AM

One more shot right after the storm

34459058285_54fc74783b_c.jpg

• milandro likes this

#9 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

well, the sensitivity is of any long lens because of, as you also say, of the motion blur and air distortion due to air movement  caused by the air mass moving due to thermic fluctuation in the air between where you are and where the subject far away is.

Great picture! I’ve always like this lens which was always considered the poor relation of the 2.8 but which on a mirrorless with EVF ( which acts as an image luminnosity amplifier) has come into its own.

The lack of autofocus though ( even with the focus limiter) makes this lens very difficult to be used on dynamic subjects.

Edited by milandro, 05 May 2017 - 11:20 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X-E2s, 300mm, Nikon

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close