POLL - Fujifilm External Device for RAW Conversion & Backup Storage

Hello Fuji lovers,

I would like Fujifilm to create a piece of hardware, an external device, a Raw Converter, based on the algorithms and electronics found inside the X cameras, with maybe some more features, if possible, which can be also an external back-up storage drive, with an LCD, bigger than what we have on an X camera (let's say 4").

SD reader, USB, Wi-Fi to communicate with the camera, or a smartphone, built-in Flash/SSD storage (min 128-256 Gb), maybe tethering On The Go, using an existing battery (from X100 series for example), if possible.

Why?

1. Because it could be the coolest device for photographers and it will be so unique and it is doable. Everything is based on existing technology. There is nothing new here, except the new concept of putting all of these together in one piece of hardware.

2. This would end the problems when converting Fuji Raw file using different softwares for post-processing, like Photoshop, Lightroom, etc., especially On The Go.

3. Would be great to leave the laptop at home and travel really light, according to "Mirrorless Philosophy" as we use to do since adopting a Fujifilm mirrorless system, while making no compromise in IQ, using Raw files wherever you are with the flexibility of storing them safely on this device, or sending them to your / client smartphone / tablet / laptop.

Some of you would say "I have the PC Tethering option" but I'd say "Not in this mobile/compact form, especially when you are on the shooting site." Others would say "My camera already has a built-in Raw Converter" but I'd say "Why not having a more powerful module with a bigger screen, maybe with Touchscreen and sliders, to really control your conversion settings and why keep the camera busy and spend battery resources, when some other device could do it faster and better and keep the camera just for shooting".

POLL :

1. I WOULD LIKE TO BUY SUCH AN EXTERNAL DEVICE. (Please specify the price you would pay and some other essential features you would like this piece of hardware to have)

2. NOT INTERESTED (Please specify why.)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 3 months later...

Fuji won't pursue this avenue.  And quite frankly I would concur with them as I would rather have them focus on upgrading and updating their current camera base and lenses.

However, you may want to look at "Shuttersnitch" app.  It's available for iPhone and iPad.  It connects directly to Fuji (and other brands) without the Fuji remote app.  I've tried it a couple of times as I just got it and seems to work just fine.

If you go to my post here you can read a little bit about it.  I purchased it as I no longer want to travel with a laptop.  I will be testing the app in the next week or so so please stay tuned.  

I have to be honest and say that such a device appeals to me, purely because I do not want something else to create a further drain on my iPhone batteries.

It would be easier to make if it just had a wifi connect to an SDHC card writer which would allow you to swap out cards as one gets full. But then, I suppose it would just make more sense to add a dual card slot to the camera and take twice as many cards with a nice water and fire proof SD card holder that you could put in your pocket.

So in consideration - no Ido not want one of these - I just wnat Fuji to add a second card slot - if you're reading and following this site and thread Fuji...

• 2 weeks later...

These devices were once very popular, back when drive capacities were many times the capacity of any memory card, and memory cards were horribly expensive. They were nearly killed off by high-capacity memory cards at reasonable prices (B&H still lists a few - divided between relatively reasonably priced models from obscure companies, very expensive models for pro video and one Canon meant to hook to a TV). These things were almost never made by camera makers - there were a bunch by Epson, whom I guess technically made a few cameras, and Canon and Nikon each made a single short-lived model). The higher-end models were from Epson and darkroom supplier Jobo (and had nice screens - at least one could actually be calibrated), while the cheaper versions were from companies you'd never heard of, and reported cards copied with a few LED lights.

Perhaps the biggest problem they've always had is that their battery life lets them copy only one or two high-capacity cards. Interfaces and drives have gotten faster, but cards have gotten bigger in rough proportion. I just looked, and the machines B&H is advertising today only copy 1 64 GB card on a battery (manufacturer claims 3, but B&H claims 1). They are also about $500 (even for the cheaper units) for a terabyte of storage. When you can get good 64 GB memory cards for as little as $30, 128 GB cards around $60 and 256 GB around $120 - add 30% for the VERY best, these things just don't add up in price per gigabyte. I've never lost a byte of data off any but an off-brand memory card! I'd certainly consider duplicating in camera (especially with really large cards) if I had two slots...