Pretty bad customer relations

fanofuji

Fujifilm UK is clearly not interested in establishing good customer relations with Fuji users.  A couple of years ago the charger for my X100s packed in - this was, apparently, a common problem (although Fuji had not recalled the chargers, as they should have done), and the charger was replaced.  This week I found that the replacement charger had failed, but this time, when I contacted the company, I was told I would have to buy a charger at the totally exorbitant price of £69.98!  £69.98 for another charger which may not last any longer than a couple of years!  Naturally, I'll be buying a third party charger and batteries from this point on, for both of my Fuji cameras - so, in the end, Fuji will be losing.

Well, take your risk with third party batteries if you like ... there are enough reports of failing overloading protection, resulting in swollen batteries. Third party chargers probably won't make this better.

With the sensitivity of Li-Ion cells, and the lack of high temperature protection in many batteries and chargers, I'm not taking my risk with generic batteries anymore.

If you want to take the risk, then at least do the following before you start using the batteries:

1. measure the resistance between the T and the "-" connection at room temperature
  2. put the battery in the fridge for one hour or so
  3. take it out, and measure the resistance again

If the resistance is the same in both cases, then the battery does not have a working NTC circuit. That's waiting for problems to happen.

Regarding third party chargers; I would not expect these to have correct overloading protection implemented anyway.

Fanofuji ( perhaps the camera but not the company ;) ), unfortunately this is the way the things go for many companies. Fuji is hardly alone and, in fact, from the many stories of replacements done even past the guarantee period they appear to be better than most.

In your case they might have been stricter than otherwise. Try going directly to the main office of Tokyo. I have suggested this many times before and in several cases this helped.

If I understand correctly they have replaced the battery charger one time for free? Then they refused to replace it a second time?

Right or wrong. They must have thought that the lightning doesn’t strike twice all that often without a cause and that that might have been a reason for the charger to fail again. Like using third party batteries, I am sure that they might have thought that you were using a Fuji Charger with third party batteries? I know I’ve done that many times, so it wouldn’t be unusual. How could they possibly know that you didn’t? 

As for the price.

Original parts are expensive, they always are and they are for every company. This is true of cars as it is true of watches or anything else.

After all the colossal amount of money that goes in development, research, organization, advertising and promotion spent by any  famous company could never be absorbed if parts wouldn’t cost way more than the cost price. If you buy a lens hood in China ( I’ve done that) they can cost less than $5 including shipping. A Fuji hood is a different kettle of fish.

Get in touch with the main office, 

https://contact.fujifilm.com/cgi-bin/mail/form.cgi/japan?_ga=1.39243619.1366704414.1453047234

That's a shame you had such a bad experience with Fuji UK.  Just a few miles from me is the Fuji USA (Edison, NJ) office.  And I absolutely love them!  Ever since I was shooting with the old Fujifilm S1Pro, and then my Fujifilm S2 Pro d-slr's they have taken care of me in the most professional and friendly way. 

As far as batteries go I use Wasabi batteries.  I purchased the Wasabi charger which comes with two batteries for a mere pittance on amazon (US) starting back in 2013 with my X-E1, then added more wasabi batteries for my X-T1 and X-T2.  I have never, ever had an issue with them.

I've been using wasabi all along without issues but I must say that the last batch I bought from them for both my fujifilm and eos m has started to buldge within a year. So, I'm currently staying away from them. In terms of capacity, they are about 80% of the originals in real world usage..

I have different viewpoint upon Fujifilm UK service. I contacted them to get an extra printed manual which could not be supplied instead I received from a printout of the manual in colour at no cost to me. Over half an inch of colour A4 paper, very good I thought!

I think that OP complains that Fuji didn’t want to replace the battery charger for free a second time (they apparently did replace it for free the first time... failing this a second time I suppose they might have suspected that OP had used it with non Fuji battery) and o the cost of an original battery charger.

I don’t think the issue is using (or not) not original parts, per se.

Edited by milandro

I think that OP complains that Fuji didn’t want to replace the battery charger a second time ( I suppose they might have suspected that OP had used it with non Fuji battery) and o the cost of an original battery charger.

Maybe, but that is the future strategy the OP mentions. Absolutely fine, as long as they are aware of the risks and ways to prevent them.

I just wonder whether it is reasonable to expect Fuji to replace battery chargers “ ad infinitum” if they are not sure how they have been used by the customers.

In other words, if OP could prove ( it is impossible to do so it is purely speculative and hypothetical) that he never used non original parts in his charger he might have a case, but if he has used non original parts in this original charger then Fuji is not doing anything unreasonable not wanting to replace it the second time FOR FREE.

Naturally, I'll be buying a third party charger and batteries from this point on, for both of my Fuji cameras - so, in the end, Fuji will be losing.

@milandro I am commenting on this suggestion by the OP.

Damage caused by overheating Li-Ion batteries is rare, but not fully unheard of. So at least assure yourself that the battery has a working NTC (and then hope that the charger measures on it) to minimise the risk.

OK, sorry, I was still dialed on the complaint  with Fuji which gives the title to this thread.

As for third party materials. There is no telling about the quality. It can be good one day and bad the next. Most are sold by non-makers trading company which simply go to a trade fair and ask “ a company” ( which can be changed at will) to provide them with something with their logo on it.

Third party parts have 0 guarantee and as far as I know nobody will ever replace a faulty item. But yes, they are very cheap.

Another thing to think about is the new X cameras where overheating is not only possible but will happen for sure if you film or use the high performance focus tracking function.

Those cameras ( which now includes the X-T20) better use the original Fuji.

I don't think Fujifilm UK was unreasonable. I would be greatful if they changed it for me once F.O.C. That's usually the most that any centers in the world would do. Some may do more due to long standing relationships, if they have one. This will be a case to case scenario.

I agree that most "reputable" 3rd party batteries are still a gamble somewhat. I'm also inclined to think that it's more the batches of raw li-ion cells coming from bulk manufacturers which are to be blamed. I don't think 3rd party battery companies manufacture their own. They still get it from China or Japan. I also understand that li-ion batteries are very prone to failure from contaminants in the polymers itself. Contaminated batteries are more prone to out gassing and early failure. Wasabi uses high quality li-polymer cells from Japan but the batches from 2-3 years ago all show bulging issues.

I've been using wasabi all along without issues but I must say that the last batch I bought from them for both my fujifilm and eos m has started to buldge within a year. So, I'm currently staying away from them. In terms of capacity, they are about 80% of the originals in real world usage..

I haven't had any swelling issues whatsoever and some of my Wasabi's go back to 2013....  I'll def. keep an eye on them though.

I think that OP complains that Fuji didn’t want to replace the battery charger for free a second time (they apparently did replace it for free the first time... failing this a second time I suppose they might have suspected that OP had used it with non Fuji battery) and o the cost of an original battery charger.

Or, just possibly, there is a potential voltage problem at the OP's home/office?  Always possible...

I just wonder whether it is reasonable to expect Fuji to replace battery chargers “ ad infinitum” if they are not sure how they have been used by the customers.

In other words, if OP could prove ( it is impossible to do so it is purely speculative and hypothetical) that he never used non original parts in his charger he might have a case, but if he has used non original parts in this original charger then Fuji is not doing anything unreasonable not wanting to replace it the second time FOR FREE.

I don't think it's reasonable at all.  Fuji has zero control over the individuals usage patterns; they also have no idea if the problem stems from a voltage issue at the end-users home/office/hotel/country.  I can see them replacing it once - say as a courtesy, but twice, to me spells of a more serious issue (?) somewhere else.  Let's face it, and I'm not knocking the OP here at all, but who knows what some folks do and/or try to pull in order to garner free stuff.  Again, not saying the OP here is doing this, but look at it from a corporations point of view.

This was my feeling too.

I think that they were fair and square, the first time, but replacing the battery loader, once again, for free, would have not been justifiable by the fact that there are very good possibilities that it could have been broken by a faulty third party battery or all kinds of other reasons. 

How would they have known?

Edited by milandro

Guest mikEm13

Fuji probably should have replaced it again for good customer relations. I think the OP should buy the aftermarket charger and if it lasts then the problem is solved.

Edited by mikEm13

I have some sympathy for Fuji on this given it was the second failure. I am not going to accuse OP of using 3rd party batteries, as there is no evidence. However in the UK the quality of electric wiring in many of our houses is old, our national grid suffers surges, and some people often use questionable amounts of gang 4 plugs etc. There are many reasons why his charger may have failed, and I think Fuji suspected after a second failure in such a short period of time that the root cause was not the charger, but where it was plugged in.

Better customer relations would have been to maybe asks some questions and offer advice as to a better way to utilize the charger to prevent this happening again, it woudl no take away the financial sting but it would have a least added a constructive element to the conversation.

G

get over it already---Fuji replaced your charger once already after a few years of you having and using it. Now, because its acting up again and Fuji WON'T replace it AGAIN for the SECOND time you feel Fuji is not doing right by you and you'll show them and BUY a third party charger.Really???? You think what you want, but YOU not buying the charger from Fuji is'nt going to hurt them at all.

Really--get over yourself already....

Personally I would not use both a third party charger and third party batteries. That's introducing two unknowns with possibly questionable electronics inside.

I know that the Fuji charger is the issue here, but still I'd rather keep the original charger in the "system" when introducing third party batteries.

Edited by johant

Not to raise your dander as they say...But one unhappy outcome from a corporation that sells tens of millions of units a year (very successfully) is not unusual, nor unexpected, nor would I read too much into this isolated event. They sell darn good products, and have darn good customer support in my opinion. Keep your expectations of what a company this size can or can not do to keep EVERYONE happy for every glitch and/or potential misuse. If this is a deal breaker for you I think you are expecting too much from any company. Nikon and Canon customers can find many a reason to bash that customer support too....Two failures of a simple item by the same person would indicate misuse, not a reason to redesign the product, or throw the baby out with the bath water, when viewed from FUJI's side. I'm not surprised they didn't send you the second unit free.