#1 epscott

epscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:26 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)
Thank you! I'm a long time and long term customer. I'm proud to say I shoot Fuji. With that, I do have some serious concerns. I know it's not popular to go against the grain but sometimes we need to hear the truth.

I was one of the first advocates for pushing forward with video, high bit rate 1080p and also 4K. I'm so thankful you listened despite pleas to the contrary. The results are stunning. I now only have the need for one camera and that one camera is the X-T2. But I'm not satisfied. We are missing a couple of very standard features.

We need fully articulated touch screens. Fully articulated and touch enabled. It's inexcusable. If I'm in front of the camera, I need to be able to see myself or the subject I'm assisting. Fully articulated screens can also flip backwards and folded in so as to protect the screen when not needed. Being that video is taking on more of a role in your cameras as it should, we need touch screens. Touch gives us sooooo much more functionality like pulling focus or image review. With gestures, the possibilities are many. Right now, your flagship doesn't have those possibilities.

The next item is IBIS. Now I know that folks are going to groan as they ALWAYS do. Fuji fanatics are passionate about their cameras. But In Body Image Stabilization is a must have. Now I'm fully aware of the reasons why the community at large doesn't think IBIS is needed in their camera. The two most common reasons stated are the fear of an increase in body size and additional power draw. Here's my most educated reply to you and to them. I think you can do it while still making the body the same size or even smaller. How? Moore's Law. The advances in technology keeps moving forward. We can keep putting more into the same size space because we can shrink things down which in turn requires less power which in turn dissipates less heat. I would even accept a small hit in camera body size if it meant smaller less complicated lenses withOUT IS. Smaller less complex lenses are easier to manufacture and are less expensive. This same rationale is used to justify touch screens. New technologies will require less power and will be thinner. So no, I don't understand this fear.

What you should fear is becoming the next Kodak. It was a simple lack of respect for technological evolution that doomed Kodak. Right now, before our very eyes we are seeing the landscape change. Nikon could go out of business. They are in free fall. Canon can't maintain its base because they have no focus. But it shouldn't be a surprise as it was predicted many years ago by a group of crazies who embraced an outsider....Sony. Sony put us all on this path. While I'm not a fan of Sony cameras, we all have to admit that they have been the folks driving us all forward. The other company that everyone should fear is a little company I used to work for...Apple. The iPhone singlehandedly destroyed the compact consumer market and at any time, if they wanted to start making cameras, they could wipe out everyone. When you're valued just a touch under a trillion dollars, you can leverage your way into existing markets. You know that Apple is watching and researching their options. It's really just a 3 horse race between you, Sony, and Apple. Sony will never rest and Apple will just keep capturing market share. In the meantime, others that do embrace technology like Panasonic and Olympus will continue to chip away at Nikon and Canons disaffected bases but they also help deny you of potential customers. It's time to bury these other companies. They have no interest in seeing you succeed. None. It's business. For those that think this isn't true...how many companies rescued Kodak? There is no good will. It's cutthroat.

Which brings me to my last point. Do you want to win? You are in a position to win it ALL. You made huge gains with X system cameras and with the release of your medium format GFX line, I see it as just a matter of time until you are the ones dominating the landscape. But to do that, you have to respect how fast technology advances forward and how quickly it's adopted by consumers because if you don't, you will become the next Kodak only it won't take very long for your demise. Today's consumers are smarter and less risk averse than the prior generation.

The technologies I'm asking for again are now standards with your competitors. You have to act quickly and decisively in order to survive. I see that with a new firmware update you are bringing voice memos. Cool. I hope this is your first attempt at what I also requested 2 years ago....voice control. Voice control would be KILLER.

I think you are doing everything right and it's been a pleasure being a Fuji customer. But I need and want to see you survive. You must adopt technology faster because your competitors won't wait for you to catch up.

Thank you. :)
  • rghoag1 and Kubul like this

#2 Patrick FR

Patrick FR

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 883 posts
  • LocationTOP SECRET

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:01 AM

It seems that IBIS is not compatible with X-mount: http://www.fujirumor...organic-sensor/

• elmacus and pxlsbyb like this

#3 elmacus

elmacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:11 AM

Another trolling about impossible ibis, sigh.
I dont need articulated screens. Had a canon 760, it sucked, sold it quick.

#4 neal3K

neal3K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationAtlanta Metro

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:20 PM

I like the design of the X100 series without the fancy screen and IS.  I like the size and weight as it is.

• elmacus likes this

#5 ruby.monkey

ruby.monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

IBIS seems to be out of the question. The in-lens approach is an acceptable alternative, although I've had no problems with non-IS lenses.

The articulated screen... I prefer my X100T to remain compact and simple, and I prefer to shoot it at eye level, but the capability is a perfect match for the way I use my X-T1; and having a screen that can be viewed from the front can't be a bad thing.

As for Fuji going the way of Kodak, I'd argue that the constant firmware upgrades and fixes alone - even for cameras that are out of production - suggests that Fuji is keeping an eye to the future and is looking to hold the enthusiasts' interest.

#6 epscott

epscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

It seems that IBIS is not compatible with X-mount: http://www.fujirumor...organic-sensor/

I'm fully aware of their position. They don't ever say it's technically/technologically incompatible, they say they don't WANT to do it because they are afraid (ruled by fear) that IQ will suffer from the digital correction. So let me point out a possible area of hypocrisy. Our cameras utilize LMO. If Fuji can accept degradation of IQ to counter lens distortion, why not accept digital correction for IBIS? I then have to ask the obvious million dollar question, did they design their mount KNOWING in advance that IBIS was going to be a huge tech breakthrough and chose to ignore it or did they just not know of the technology? Any answer seems shortsighted. 

What's vexing is that people refuse IBIS out of fear but they have no fear in accepting blurry images because their camera nor lens had IS.  

#7 kimcarsons

kimcarsons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:08 PM

Pentax K-x had IBIS in 2009 (worked great BTW!) X-Pro1 didn't come out (introducing the X-mount) until 2012. It was already proven technology by then, not just something theoretical on the horizon.

Edited by kimcarsons, 23 March 2017 - 05:09 PM.

#8 OleDK

OleDK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

Bugger! All my Fuij cameras are now useless because of design choices made by Fuji. No IBIS and no fully articulated screen. I will sell them.

• jlmphotos, Eeuw, elmacus and 3 others like this

#9 epscott

epscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:24 PM

Bugger! All my Fuij cameras are now useless because of design choices made by Fuji. No IBIS and no fully articulated screen. I will sell them.

I will buy them! 

I'm just curious as to why you feel any criticism amounts to doomsday scenarios. Its also obvious that you welcome change so long as it addresses a design issue or flaw you agree with. 

Again, a fully articulated touch screen would be a benefit. There is absolutely nothing wrong with me as a paying customer voicing my thoughts. Would you abandon Fuji because of an articulating screen that was touch enabled? 

• Eeuw likes this

#10 OleDK

OleDK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

I'm just curious as to why you feel any criticism amounts to doomsday scenarios. Its also obvious that you welcome change so long as it addresses a design issue or flaw you agree with. 

Again, a fully articulated touch screen would be a benefit. There is absolutely nothing wrong with me as a paying customer voicing my thoughts. Would you abandon Fuji because of an articulating screen that was touch enabled? 

Honestly, I think that you project your needs to the entire user population.

If you had written "I would like fully articulated screens" no one would accuse you of trolling.

But you write "We need fully articulated touch screens. Fully articulated and touch enabled. It's inexcusable.". Who are you to say what others want? Who are you to say that the design choices a company makes are "inexcusable?" I for one don't need articulation or touch. I don't need IBIS. And I certainly don't need voice control.

And you are the one bringing on doomsday scenarios: "What you should fear is becoming the next Kodak." or "You have to act quickly and decisively in order to survive".

Your post contain 3 wishes for new features. The rest is rant, hyperbole, and trolling. Please stop ranting.

Fuji's cameras have never been about technology alone. Fuji's cameras are about bringing the best mix of technology and usability for the working photographer. And the cameras are tools. Tools to be learned and tools to be used.

• Eeuw likes this

#11 epscott

epscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

Honestly, I think that you project your needs to the entire user population.

If you had written "I would like fully articulated screens" no one would accuse you of trolling.

But you write "We need fully articulated touch screens. Fully articulated and touch enabled. It's inexcusable.". Who are you to say what others want? Who are you to say that the design choices a company makes are "inexcusable?" I for one don't need articulation or touch. I don't need IBIS. And I certainly don't need voice control.

And you are the one bringing on doomsday scenarios: "What you should fear is becoming the next Kodak." or "You have to act quickly and decisively in order to survive".

Your post contain 3 wishes for new features. The rest is rant, hyperbole, and trolling. Please stop ranting.

Fuji's cameras have never been about technology alone. Fuji's cameras are about bringing the best mix of technology and usability for the working photographer. And the cameras are tools. Tools to be learned and tools to be used.

Easy. I'm NOT alone in expressing a desire for fully articulated screens. An I wasn't the first to request them. So my word choice is very deliberate. I don't own the idea.

Next, as a paying customer, I get to say whatever I want about design choices to whomever I want. That's who I am. A customer. 

As for your needs, don't care. No one is forcing you to use these features should they appear just as no one is forcing me to use the camera without these features. 

If I were to rank my requests, it would be this:

1. Fully articulated screen

2. Touch screen

3. Voice control

4. IBIS

Like I've said many times in the past, I can live without many features as evidenced in my photography which can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.c...s/40101411@N05/

I'm still able to produce images despite these shortcomings. But they would be nice to have and as the market shrinks due to smartphone technology, the sight picture grows more narrow. All of a sudden you begin to see trends, and trends become standards. They become consumer expectations.  

Whats funny and vexing is that mirrorless in general was mocked in the past. Look at it now. Who's laughing now? Failure to appreciate history...

But you don't have to worry about me. If you really are against articulated screens, then you'll have to convince someone like Tony Northrup who says the same things about the lack of an articulated screen to his almost 690,000 subscribers on Youtube. 

There are many others like him out there that preach to a wide audience to include Fuji reps. I'm just a fly on the wall. Small potatoes. 

#12 kimcarsons

kimcarsons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

Why on earth would you rank "voice control" over IBIS? What do you need voice control for?

#13 epscott

epscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:00 PM

Why on earth would you rank "voice control" over IBIS? What do you need voice control for?

Because giving more options to those that have disabilities is more important than my need for IBIS.

#14 kimcarsons

kimcarsons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

Because giving more options to those that have disabilities is more important than my need for IBIS.

... Am I to understand that you're referring to photographers who are blind?

• Arthur likes this

#15 epscott

epscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:17 PM

LOL. Kids who are quads, the elderly, amputees, people with physical or other disabilities outside of being blind. And let me tell you, empowering a physically or developmentally challenged kid by giving them a camera that they can operate despite their limitations....you won't find anything more fulfilling. I've helped plenty of disabled veterans as well because I'm one myself. If Fuji can in some small way make a difference for just 1 child, they have literally changed the world for the better.

#16 Aswald

Aswald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:57 AM

Thank you! I'm a long time and long term customer. I'm proud to say I shoot Fuji. With that, I do have some serious concerns. I know it's not popular to go against the grain but sometimes we need to hear the truth.

I was one of the first advocates for pushing forward with video, high bit rate 1080p and also 4K. I'm so thankful you listened despite pleas to the contrary. The results are stunning. I now only have the need for one camera and that one camera is the X-T2. But I'm not satisfied. We are missing a couple of very standard features.

We need fully articulated touch screens. Fully articulated and touch enabled. It's inexcusable. If I'm in front of the camera, I need to be able to see myself or the subject I'm assisting. Fully articulated screens can also flip backwards and folded in so as to protect the screen when not needed. Being that video is taking on more of a role in your cameras as it should, we need touch screens. Touch gives us sooooo much more functionality like pulling focus or image review. With gestures, the possibilities are many. Right now, your flagship doesn't have those possibilities.

The next item is IBIS. Now I know that folks are going to groan as they ALWAYS do. Fuji fanatics are passionate about their cameras. But In Body Image Stabilization is a must have. Now I'm fully aware of the reasons why the community at large doesn't think IBIS is needed in their camera. The two most common reasons stated are the fear of an increase in body size and additional power draw. Here's my most educated reply to you and to them. I think you can do it while still making the body the same size or even smaller. How? Moore's Law. The advances in technology keeps moving forward. We can keep putting more into the same size space because we can shrink things down which in turn requires less power which in turn dissipates less heat. I would even accept a small hit in camera body size if it meant smaller less complicated lenses withOUT IS. Smaller less complex lenses are easier to manufacture and are less expensive. This same rationale is used to justify touch screens. New technologies will require less power and will be thinner. So no, I don't understand this fear.

What you should fear is becoming the next Kodak. It was a simple lack of respect for technological evolution that doomed Kodak. Right now, before our very eyes we are seeing the landscape change. Nikon could go out of business. They are in free fall. Canon can't maintain its base because they have no focus. But it shouldn't be a surprise as it was predicted many years ago by a group of crazies who embraced an outsider....Sony. Sony put us all on this path. While I'm not a fan of Sony cameras, we all have to admit that they have been the folks driving us all forward. The other company that everyone should fear is a little company I used to work for...Apple. The iPhone singlehandedly destroyed the compact consumer market and at any time, if they wanted to start making cameras, they could wipe out everyone. When you're valued just a touch under a trillion dollars, you can leverage your way into existing markets. You know that Apple is watching and researching their options. It's really just a 3 horse race between you, Sony, and Apple. Sony will never rest and Apple will just keep capturing market share. In the meantime, others that do embrace technology like Panasonic and Olympus will continue to chip away at Nikon and Canons disaffected bases but they also help deny you of potential customers. It's time to bury these other companies. They have no interest in seeing you succeed. None. It's business. For those that think this isn't true...how many companies rescued Kodak? There is no good will. It's cutthroat.

Which brings me to my last point. Do you want to win? You are in a position to win it ALL. You made huge gains with X system cameras and with the release of your medium format GFX line, I see it as just a matter of time until you are the ones dominating the landscape. But to do that, you have to respect how fast technology advances forward and how quickly it's adopted by consumers because if you don't, you will become the next Kodak only it won't take very long for your demise. Today's consumers are smarter and less risk averse than the prior generation.

The technologies I'm asking for again are now standards with your competitors. You have to act quickly and decisively in order to survive. I see that with a new firmware update you are bringing voice memos. Cool. I hope this is your first attempt at what I also requested 2 years ago....voice control. Voice control would be KILLER.

I think you are doing everything right and it's been a pleasure being a Fuji customer. But I need and want to see you survive. You must adopt technology faster because your competitors won't wait for you to catch up.

Thank you. :)

Epscott, believe it or not, one day in the near future, all these features will become standard on most cameras. For the moment, I would say production and limiting resources are the main culprits why Fujifilm does not have these yet.

On the issue of IBIS, I would like to share what Fujifilm mentioned to me.

Firstly, there is the issue of patent rights. IBIS belongs to Olympus. Since SONY is part owner of Olympus....

Secondly, Fujifilm have found that IBIS is not the solve-it-all method. It is redundant (like most reduction systems) for instances where subject motion blur is inherent or at high shutter speeds and when the camera is mounted on a tripod. They reiterated that in most cases, OIS is beneficial in long range photography or in very selective cases. In some cases, IBIS caused problems. They had declined politely to elaborate further when probed. Having used the a7II for a while, I can concur.

Thirdly, at the onset, Fujifilm had to make a decision. It was either, IBIS + smaller compact lenses...... or..... fast, wide aperture lenses + slower lens based OIS system. By "slower" they meant narrower aperture. They felt that the 2nd option fitted what they had wanted to achieve and in line with their photographic heritage. I guess we know now the decision they made.

For most parts, I think that the Fujifilm systems is great even without IBIS. In fact, the only lens I own with the OIS is the 55-200 and I've never felt that their fast primes needed the OIS.

SONY's main problem with OIS is that eventually, people will demand for fast lenses. Take a look at their G Master series. They are as big as they are good.

If you put yourself in Fujfilm's shoes, it's difficult for anyone to convince the board that Fujifilm sorely needs the IBIS to succeed.

Edited by Aswald, 25 March 2017 - 04:59 AM.

• elmacus likes this

#17 Kubul

Kubul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:07 AM

[...]

It is exactly what I would say. Exactly!

#18 Warwick

Warwick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

When I used to shoot film, camera shake could be a problem. With regular 100 ASA film or even 'fast' 400 ASA, taking pictures indoors without flash could be difficult. You'd have to find ways to stabilise your camera - lean against door frames etc. I can honestly say that with today's modern sensors like the ones in the X Pro 2 or XT2, it's a complete non-issue. I certainly wouldn't want to pay more money for a bulkier camera with compromised image quality, to 'fix' a problem I don't have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Warwick, 08 April 2017 - 11:00 AM.

• elmacus, Ranz, Arthur and 1 other like this

#19 gordonrussell76

gordonrussell76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

Hey Epscott just a few thoughts on your original post.

1) I think Fuji are aware of the dangers of becoming a Kodak given that usually Fuji are held up as the comparison of success vs failure in most case studies around Kodak, they diversified and saw the future earlier than Kodak and survived, not relevant to this discussion but interesting none the less

2) I don't want Fuji or anyone to win. I want a healthy selections of camera manufacturers all pushing each other to innovate and give us the customer more and cheaper options. If Fuji win everyone, including Fuji users suffer.

3) Re IBIS, I genuinely am happier without it. I personally believe that lens OIS is better for most applications apart from video. For video I think you are better off with external stabilization, tripod, booms, steadicams will all give better results than even the best IBIS. Not saying you can't ask for it, but if it added 300 dollars to the cost of hte camera, I would rather spend that money on my external stabilization of choice.

4) Touchscreen for focus pulling, again a dedicated manual lens with a focus pull will get you better results, but if you really need this functionality you already have it via the remote app. You can use the touchscreen on your smart device to change focus point during video and it will pull focus. I know I know everyone says the app connection is flaky. I have no issue, I just turn off my home wifi when I am shooting at home as that is what causes 99% of problems as its interference, this is not a problem out and about.

5) Voice controls, what a great idea, not just for those who have accessability needs, it would be great when shooting pictures with the photographer in them. I often get asked to do pics of my band, whcih invaraibaly have me in them holding my phone using the remote app to trigger the camera, voice activation would remove this. There would need to be an option to disable the delete image voice command for street photographers though as it would be no fun if people could just shout that at you and delete all your images :)

• ViewMode and cswright81 like this

https://www.flickr.c...s/10596811@N04/

Fuji X-T2 : XF 10-24mm : XF 35mm : XF 56mm : XF90mm : XF 50-140mm+TC2x

#20 cswright81

cswright81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:29 PM

No thanks on the IBIS.

I would rather have a fixed, not floating sensor.

1. Durability - Just send in a not so old A7rII for a customer that had broken IBIS, the sensor was sitting askew and the camera would just choke trying to turn on.

2. I've personally never been in a situation where I wished I had IBIS. I would rather manage shutter speed/ISO and so would rather see continued improvement to high ISO performance. (Now I'm talking mostly about stills shooting here, maybe in video I could see IBIS being more useful, but I agree with an earlier reply in that I would rather spend money on other stabilization methods.)

That being said I don't think it's wrong to ask Fuji for some kind of IBIS, maybe in a lower end line, but I personally would not buy a camera with IBIS and would like to see the X-T2/X-Pro2 line stay fixed.

Just my own personal buying preference.

• ViewMode likes this

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close