X-T2 HD Video strange deformation

Boris M

Hi guys,

A few weeks ago I bought an X-T2, mainly for stills but as a video tool too. Yesterday evening I was making my first real video test shooting : my son presenting a magic trick.

Apart the poor choice of profile and the exposition aproximation (light was going down fast) a few of the clips shows some strange "flickering"  at the hedges of the picture  as you can see there, straight out from cam (please look with full screen) : https://vimeo.com/208623564

The majority of other clips are looking normal, there were shot with the same settings, except for focal lenght  minor apperture or Iso changes. Settings were FHD 25 P, Velvia profile with -2 in hi, low lights and sharpness (trst purposes), iso 250, 1/50s, F5.6. Good Transcend 600x SDXC card (never showing problem with lumix gh3). The X-T2 was in boost mode. The only thing that I can think of if that the battery (original np126s) was running low at this moment. I changed it a few time after, but before the camera shuted down.

It look like if the lens correction was going on and off... Have you experienced something similar ? What do you think of it ? I'm new to Fuji and I already know the limitations of X-T2 as a video tool  but I'm not new to video and never seen something like that.

Thanks for your looks and thinks.

Boris

Hi guys,

A few weeks ago I bought an X-T2, mainly for stills but as a video tool too. Yesterday evening I was making my first real video test shooting : my son presenting a magic trick.

Apart the poor choice of profile and the exposition aproximation (light was going down fast) a few of the clips shows some strange "flickering"  at the hedges of the picture  as you can see there, straight out from cam (please look with full screen) : https://vimeo.com/208623564

The majority of other clips are looking normal, there were shot with the same settings, except for focal lenght  minor apperture or Iso changes. Settings were FHD 25 P, Velvia profile with -2 in hi, low lights and sharpness (trst purposes), iso 250, 1/50s, F5.6. Good Transcend 600x SDXC card (never showing problem with lumix gh3). The X-T2 was in boost mode. The only thing that I can think of if that the battery (original np126s) was running low at this moment. I changed it a few time after, but before the camera shuted down.

It look like if the lens correction was going on and off... Have you experienced something similar ? What do you think of it ? I'm new to Fuji and I already know the limitations of X-T2 as a video tool  but I'm not new to video and never seen something like that.

Boris

It definitely does look like the lens correction is turning on and off.

One thing worth mentioning is that many of the fuji cameras and lenses have excessive rotational play at the mount, which can cause the electrical contacts on the lens and body to be misaligned. It could be that your lens was twisted in such a way as to have intermittent connection/noise on these contacts and the X-T2 responds by turning the lens correction on and off (although it seems unlikely that the camera would be monitoring this during recording, and I'd expect to see some flickering of the aperture too if this was the case)

Seems more likely it's a firmware bug.

Could you see this happening on the screen at the time of recording?

It definitely does look like the lens correction is turning on and off.

One thing worth mentioning is that many of the fuji cameras and lenses have excessive rotational play at the mount, which can cause the electrical contacts on the lens and body to be misaligned. It could be that your lens was twisted in such a way as to have intermittent connection/noise on these contacts and the X-T2 responds by turning the lens correction on and off (although it seems unlikely that the camera would be monitoring this during recording, and I'd expect to see some flickering of the aperture too if this was the case)

Seems more likely it's a firmware bug.

Could you see this happening on the screen at the time of recording?

I just discover it on my computer. As my camera was on a tripod and my shot steady I was looking directly to my son. Anyway I won't be able too see it if not looking through the viewfinder.

The lens connector can be a track. But in my case I have only the kit lens at this moment and didn't remove it more than two times and no other malfunction was visible at this moment.

I did not succed in reproducing the problem. Wich in a certain way is a bad thing as the reason is still unknown. For this shooting  its not a problem but it's not good for trust in gear you need to have for critical and pro aplications.

My others tracks are the battery runing low with boost mode, and OIS that I forgot to turn off ( I know that it 's sometimes bad when on a tripod but that bad ?)

If it's a firmware bug this is a big one and other may have experienced it. And if not will be hard to explain to Fuji services.

I just discover it on my computer. As my camera was on a tripod and my shot steady I was looking directly to my son. Anyway I won't be able too see it if not looking through the viewfinder.

The lens connector can be a track. But in my case I have only the kit lens at this moment and didn't remove it more than two times and no other malfunction was visible at this moment.

I did not succed in reproducing the problem. Wich in a certain way is a bad thing as the reason is still unknown. For this shooting  its not a problem but it's not good for trust in gear you need to have for critical and pro aplications.

My others tracks are the battery runing low with boost mode, and OIS that I forgot to turn off ( I know that it 's sometimes bad when on a tripod but that bad ?)

If it's a firmware bug this is a big one and other may have experienced it. And if not will be hard to explain to Fuji services.

I just tried wiggling the lens while recording on my X-T2 and it just stopped the recording, so that's probably not it after all.

See if you can get your hands on another lens and test with it.  It may not happen with another lens.  

When the XT2 came out it had issues with the 18-135 lens in certain situations that they say they fixed in the latest firmware update.

Another thing to try is if you are going to use a tripod and a stationary subject, look into a classic manual focus film lens and an adapter to attach it to the camera.  That method is used a lot by those that use DSLR for video work.  It is cheap with great results (and a low cost alternative).

See if you can get your hands on another lens and test with it.  It may not happen with another lens.  

When the XT2 came out it had issues with the 18-135 lens in certain situations that they say they fixed in the latest firmware update.

Another thing to try is if you are going to use a tripod and a stationary subject, look into a classic manual focus film lens and an adapter to attach it to the camera.  That method is used a lot by those that use DSLR for video work.  It is cheap with great results (and a low cost alternative).

I will shoot with other lenses and legacy ones for sure. But the fact that the lens Kit is not reliable is bothering me. Isn't Fuji is famous for the quality of their lenses ?

Anyway I also choose Fuji for the work on firmware. So wait and see...

No, I wasn't. Now I updated to latest 1.1 but wich, in description, do not seem to fix any related issue.

Yeah, they never mention everything they fix (or break!) in the descriptions though. Basically, unless the camera and lens are running the latest firmware, all bets are off as far as them actually being compatible with each other (which incompatibility could potentially cause a problem like the one you experienced). All evidence points to Fuji doing very little testing/QA on their firmware releases, they're certainly not going to be testing the latest camera firmware against older lens firmware versions.

Let us know if you can still reproduce the problem with the new FW...

Edited by kimcarsons

I will shoot with other lenses and legacy ones for sure. But the fact that the lens Kit is not reliable is bothering me. Isn't Fuji is famous for the quality of their lenses ?

Anyway I also choose Fuji for the work on firmware. So wait and see...

Yes they are known for their lenses.  I don't believe you experienced a flaw in the lens but a flaw in the cameras CPU logic when recording video.

Video is an immature product for the Fujifilm line and we have to remember that when we use it.   The video on the 2016 Fujifilm cameras is much much better than it was 3 years ago.  So it's going in the right direction.

I recall when I used video on the Nikon full frame bodies when video first came to them and there were many issues there as well.

I have seen this over on the German forum. There is was with a time lapse. Turned out that the camera (or lens) dit not recognize the focal length as stable, meaning that the LMO did different compensations on various frames (even if disabled). Looks like this is the exact same thing. I bet there is no problem when the lens is completely zoomed in or out?

Edited by voodooless

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

Apart the poor choice of profile and the exposition aproximation (light was going down fast) a few of the clips shows some strange "flickering" at the hedges of the picture as you can see there, straight out from cam (please look with full screen) : https://vimeo.com/208623564

The majority of other clips are looking normal, there were shot with the same settings, except for focal lenght minor apperture or Iso changes. Settings were FHD 25 P, Velvia profile with -2 in hi, low lights and sharpness (trst purposes), iso 250, 1/50s, F5.6. Good Transcend 600x SDXC card (never showing problem with lumix gh3). The X-T2 was in boost mode. The only thing that I can think of if that the battery (original np126s) was running low at this moment. I changed it a few time after, but before the camera shuted down.

It look like if the lens correction was going on and off... Have you experienced something similar ? What do you think of it ? I'm new to Fuji and I already know the limitations of X-T2 as a video tool but I'm not new to video and never seen something like that.

Boris

Same thing here. With a 18-55 or a10-24, îve got the same strange left & right borders adjust. The only way i found to stop it is to change slightly the focal. Very annoying bug. I' m using my xt2 exclusively for 4K video. I' m in contact with Fuji film support....waiting for an answer