X100F: Q-menu button annoyance

Compared to my X-20 (maybe on other bodies as well)  the Q-menu button has now moved to the upper right position,  nearly under my right thumb. Often when I grab the X100F and bring the viewfinder to my eye, I discover that  I have hit the Q button. I know I can lock all these buttons by depressing the menu button long enough B)  .  But I wonder how Fuji engineers did not notice this when testing the design of the body?

But I wonder how Fuji engineers did not notice this when testing the design of the body?

Short thumbs...? ;)  I have the same problem with the X-Pro2 and even with the GFX it sometimes happens, and I really hate it. I think, it's simply a remainder of some original design and they don't want to change it for consistency. By now, most users expect it this way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got an X-100F and find it a bit frustrating due to lack of thumb grip and the location of the Q button, which is exactly where my thumb goes when I grab the camera. I decided to try to find a solution other than the Thumb Grip from Lensmate and found a very cheap solution that works quite well for me. I added a 13mm (1/2") Self Adhesive Vinyl Bumper commonly used on the back of picture frames. Placed it to the left of the Q button and now have a place to grip that is not in the way of any controls and gives me a place to hold the camera securely. It's a clear round bumper - see photo attached.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have been shooting with the “F” since day one and the Q button is just killing me. I have had every version of the x100 and for the life of me can’t figure out why they placed it where the thumb would naturally want to rest. I do have large hands I guess (size large gloves but not a 6’8” NBA player). Camera is wonderful but this button needs to be moved! Any update to this camera that keeps the Q button where it is on the “F” will not be purchased by me.

I have been shooting with the “F” since day one and the Q button is just killing me. I have had every version of the x100 and for the life of me can’t figure out why they placed it where the thumb would naturally want to rest. I do have large hands I guess (size large gloves but not a 6’8” NBA player). Camera is wonderful but this button needs to be moved! Any update to this camera that keeps the Q button where it is on the “F” will not be purchased by me.

X-PRO2 has the same problem but twice, Q and AF-L !

I have no problem with the q button. However, I find the back control wheel the the by far worst of all the 6 x-series cameras, I've had. Scrolling left is fiddly, as it is unresponsive to turning and more responsive to pressing. My X-E2 had a really nice back control wheel.

Fuji should replace that designer guy with small hands who insist that’s a good position for the Q button or whatewer button.

Fuji should hire staff to specifically cater to your demands?

I personally much prefer the location of the Q button on the X100F over that of the Q and AEL/AFL buttons on my X100T. No layoffs required on my behalf though.

• 1 month later...

I had the same issue this past weekend.  This was my first real outing with the Fuji as a street camera.  Two annoying things, the Q button, which I set off with the flesh between my thumb and forefinger, and the accidental turning of the exposure compensation wheel when I would take the camera out of my pocket.  But all things considered, it's a great street photography tool.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 7/13/2017 at 4:36 PM, Mb.kinsman said:

Just got an X-100F and find it a bit frustrating due to lack of thumb grip and the location of the Q button, which is exactly where my thumb goes when I grab the camera. I decided to try to find a solution other than the Thumb Grip from Lensmate and found a very cheap solution that works quite well for me. I added a 13mm (1/2") Self Adhesive Vinyl Bumper commonly used on the back of picture frames. Placed it to the left of the Q button and now have a place to grip that is not in the way of any controls and gives me a place to hold the camera securely. It's a clear round bumper - see photo attached.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is the best thing since sliced bread. Thanks for the info!

It let’s me rest my thumb comfortably while keeping the q button safe from nuisance pushes.

I got mine in black: