XT2 and digital noise

Enrico

Hello everyone, help me to understand !!!

how is it possible to read hundreds of positive reviews (some even enthusiastic) on the XT2, without anyone moaning digital noise that this sensor produces !!! Even at 500 ISO noise is very visible (I mean RAW) when the "old" XT1 there is very less. I state photos taken at the same time, with the same goal and the same settings. I think a big regression that is only supported for commercial reasons: I was excited about the XT1, I am very disappointed by the XT2.

you're going to be asked to provide samples

Might be worth finding the best settings for the XT2, rather than just copy the XT1 ones.

Generally excessive noise is caused by under exposure, or excessive brightening in post

Also noise (and sharpness and colour) issues are very much in the eye of the beholder

J'ai eu le cas aussi et j'ai renvoyé l'appareil avec des fichiers du xt1 et xt2 au SAV... Le capteur à été changé et d'autres choses aussi et maintenant tout va bien pour moi

Quick translation-

I had the same experience and I sent the  camera, together with files from the XT1 and XT2 to Fuji (SAV = after sales service)

The sensor, and some other parts were changed and now all is going well for me.

Roger

When I went from Nikon full frame 12mp camera to using at the same time Nikon full frame 24mp camera, I also noticed noise on the 24mp images at a lower ISO than on the 12mp camera.  I concluded that due to being a new 24mp sensor and having more detail, noise was more evident.  But when I reduced the 24mp files to 12mp to do an apples-to-apples comparison, the difference was negligible.

On the Fuji, I also shoot XT1 and XT2 and have noticed what you said.  I concluded the same thing was happening as my previous experience and would expect that a 2nd generation 24mp Fuji sensor would improve the noise at the lower ISO (since this is their first generation 24mp sensor).

Something to be mindful of is they are different cameras and different sensors.  So there are going to be small differences.  Expecting the exact same results in your images between the two cameras (with the exception one is higher MP) will result in disappointment.

My first Fuji was X-T1. Now I have X-T2. I shoot 80% of my photos on the concerts and in the theatre. So, low light photography. For me and my prints 30x40 cm are photos up to ISO 2000 w/o any problems with noise. Yes, I use by X-T2 other settings for shooting as for X-T1. For developing of RAFs is for me Capture One best choice for WIN10. I think that X-T1 and X-T2 give me aprox. the same image quality, but the X-T2 have most better AF and detail resolution.

• 4 weeks later...

As always with Fuji files, your raw photo results are going to depend greatly on what program you're using to edit/view them. Some programs may show a lot more noise than others, and some might handle noise reduction a lot better than others as well. But at the end of the day, you're using a sub-$2000 crop sensor camera. There's going to be noise in the raw files, but you'll be perfectly able to remove it with noise reduction. 

Fujifilm cameras are basically isoless. they are highly ISO invariant. This has been tested and published. The cost of the camera and its sensor size are'nt the attributes that are causes of noise. It s all about signal to noise ratios. Here is the definitive article on the matter.

this explains everything and has samples...

https://petapixel.com/2017/03/22/find-best-iso-astrophotography-dynamic-range-noise/

That article was very interesting and taught me something new.  Thanks for sharing!

B)

I have found, from my so far very limited testing, that the noise is not as smooth in the X-T2 as it was in the X-T1. This is probably due to the smaller pixel size which renders the noise differently. It looks sharper somehow. I wouldn't say it's noisier, at least not by much, but it has a different noise characteristic.

I have not yet tried downsampling to the same resolution to compare thought.