#21 RadBadTad

RadBadTad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:45 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

You guys really need to stop saying sh*t like that. It's not useful or helpful to ANYONE. At all.   LR works just fine.  It's a matter of what sharpening to use.  I've been a LR user since BETA 1.0.  And have been using it with my Fuji files since 2013.  Also, I've used LR going back to 2007 on my Fujifilm S1, and S2 Pro dSLR bodies shooting RAF files as well.

Please provide some constructive help.  Like:  Hey fella, go check out Pete Bridgewoods blog.  He has an outstanding post on sharpening raf files there that took my stock images from an abysmal acceptance rate of around 86% when I stopped using my Nikons, and switched to Fuji,  up to 98% of images submitted--All Fuji.  As a matter of fact, here are TWO links from his website on sharpening raw files:  Go here, for X-T2 and X-Pro2 files.    And go to this blog post for the X-T1 and X-Pro1 raw files.

Hope this helps. 

I've seen this suggestion on how to sharpen dozens of times, and most of it revolves around moving the Detail slider to 100, and for my photos, this never does any good at all. The waxing and worms show up just as dramatically in almost every photo I've tried it on, from four different XTrans cameras, starting with my X100s, all the way up through my X-T2. I've stopped trying this method. 

The only thing I've found that works when trying to get better fine detail is using a different program to create your base image (I use Photo Ninja) and then exporting a TIFF and working from there. Unfortunately, this loses you the ability to use the camera profiles that make Fuji so great, so there are unacceptable trade-offs for every workaround (in my opinion). I only use it when I'm doing B&W images, since the color isn't an issue in that case.

Mostly I just accept the fact that I won't get good detail in my color photos, but I've found that the level of worminess that shows up depends a LOT on the lens I shot the photo on. For instance, my 24mm f/1.4 has a LOT of worms show up really quickly with sharpening, but I get it much less dramatically with my kit lens. I've got a personal theory (based on very little) that the issue actually comes from the automatic lens correction stuff going on, rather than the sharpening or demosaicing. Though I'd also be completely unsurprised to hear that I'm wrong. 

X100s  -  X-T1  -  XPro2  -  X-T2   |  18-55 f/2.8-4  -  23mm f/1.4  -  35mm f/2  -  Mitakon 35mm f/.95  -  50-140 f/2.8

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close