31 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick FR

Patrick FR

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 848 posts
  • LocationTOP SECRET

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:02 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)
Seems Fujifilm is working a Mark II version of the 18mmF2: http://www.fujirumor...mk-ii-lens-srp/
  • elmacus likes this

#2 Tom H.

Tom H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 12 February 2017 - 02:53 PM

Cool, I hope it stays compact and cheap. Would be great for when I decide to get an X-Pro 2.

#3 RM_Photog

RM_Photog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:55 PM

I hope it's weather resistant like the newer F2 lenses. 

I'm tempted to buy the current 18 F2 because the prices are so low now but I'm holding out for WR.

#4 Tikcus

Tikcus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:17 PM

if this is released it is the first true like for like replacement; assuming, it does not get released a stop slower or without an aperture ring

"Share what you have learnt"

My Flickr

#5 Hermelin

Hermelin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:26 AM

Coming from Canon I have to say that Fujifilm is really impressing me with how fast they put out new lenses and listening to what their customers really wants. So many great lenses out already and they're stll pumping new ones out.

I love owning a Fujifilm body, only issue is that I want to buy more and more all the time :D

• Johnbergholm likes this

#6 MSW

MSW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:07 AM

It will need to be more than just a minor update as the 18-55mm when at 18mm is only slightly larger and opens to nearly the same aperture while having OIS.  Version II will need to be a lot sharper than the zoom without growing bigger and heavier.

#7 Warwick

Warwick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

The 18-55 is about twice the size of the near-pancake 18mm. I'm not altogether convinced you need OIS on a wide-angle lens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • GoodPhotos likes this

#8 Hermelin

Hermelin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

The 18-55 is much bigger than the 18 f/2 and that's why I miss my 18 f/2 (despite having the 18-55)

The 18 f/2 is the perfect lens to bring if you wanna bring a camera when going out for dinner or even the bar. Because of it small size it doesn't bring any attention. 

Edited by Hermelin, 06 March 2017 - 04:34 PM.

#9 Lumens

Lumens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:17 PM

When I see Fuji making a "Mark II" i can't help but wonder how they are going to improve on what they already have.  Most their lenses are already great.  However in this case adding "WR" weather resistance would be an improvement and follow along with the 23, 35, 50 f2 line up of late.  I try not to be tempted by new lenses any more as I already own too many, but If the 18 can remain a good size like it is and perhaps made a little sharper I will be tempted.

#10 Aswald

Aswald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

YES, please.

#11 bhu

bhu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:10 PM

Faster focusing, quieter, weather resist, better IS, improved feel, lower cost (to build), improved IQ, replacing obsolete materials or components; these are all options for Fujifilm. If there are enough improvements, Mk II versions will sell themselves. It will happen even if a lens seems perfect as it is and building it requires no new design expense. When, is the big question. It could be 2 years or 20 years.

Which lenses do you think need a refresh aside from the rumored 18 and the 60, which could simply go EoL sometime after release of the 80?

#12 Aswald

Aswald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:04 AM

35mm F1.4 mk2 would be good. Currently the noise and focusing could be better.

I dunno, the 18mm while it's nifty......it just doesn't shine.

#13 Festus

Festus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:56 AM

Why? Way to close to the 10-24mm! Optically it's going to have to be very superior.

#14 sebas1430

sebas1430

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBoucherville, Quebec, Canada

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:35 PM

Why? Way to close to the 10-24mm! Optically it's going to have to be very superior.

Ultra compact lightweight f2
Vs
Big f4 4x heavier

Each lens has its own reason to exists.
  • Hermelin likes this

X-T2 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 35 f2 | Rokinon 12 f2

Vintages lenses: Canon FDn 50 f1.4 | Canon FD 300 f4

flickr.com/photos/sgirard | sgirard.net

#15 mupzoidolphy

mupzoidolphy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

I hope this makes the roadmap sooner rather than later! Is partnering it with XE-3 release too unrealistic?

I've been thinking about the original 18mm F2 and 27mm pancake as options for a minimal size carry-around camera. Something I can put on my XE-2 and actually fit semi-comfortably in a coat pocket. I'm holding off on buying either in hope the 18mm mk II keeps size a priority (and keeps the aperture ring too!). To me, IQ and autofocus upgrades are of course important, but not if it means the 18 mk II grows to the size of the 23mm F2. 

#16 Hermelin

Hermelin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:14 PM

I'm thinking of selling my excellent 18-55 f/2.8-4. I don't know, I like the idea of only having primes, more fun IMO.

A lot of times I use the 18-55 @ 18 for landscape amuway, and the new 18 f/2 will probably be sharper, but mostly I will use the 18 in tight spaces indoors (like I did before) and when i want my camera to be as small as possible.

• sebas1430 likes this

#17 epscott

epscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:03 PM

Coming from Canon I have to say that Fujifilm is really impressing me with how fast they put out new lenses and listening to what their customers really wants. So many great lenses out already and they're stll pumping new ones out.

I love owning a Fujifilm body, only issue is that I want to buy more and more all the time :D

First thing that comes to my mind regarding this post is "hypocrisy".

#18 Vasilis

Vasilis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:48 PM

When I see Fuji making a "Mark II" i can't help but wonder how they are going to improve on what they already have.  Most their lenses are already great.  However in this case adding "WR" weather resistance would be an improvement and follow along with the 23, 35, 50 f2 line up of late.  I try not to be tempted by new lenses any more as I already own too many, but If the 18 can remain a good size like it is and perhaps made a little sharper I will be tempted.

In some years from now, i hope there will be half  a dozen new mark II lenses ,not only primes ,but zooms .Pretty sure it'll be a 'must' since the upcoming 'Ultimate X-Camera' will have a lot of trouble functioning wilth the old first generation glass especially in video with back focusing problems.Fast cameras will demand many fast lenses

Edited by Vasilis, 25 April 2017 - 01:49 PM.

#19 fujigeek

fujigeek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:01 PM

I'm thinking of selling my excellent 18-55 f/2.8-4. I don't know, I like the idea of only having primes, more fun IMO.

A lot of times I use the 18-55 @ 18 for landscape amuway, and the new 18 f/2 will probably be sharper, but mostly I will use the 18 in tight spaces indoors (like I did before) and when i want my camera to be as small as possible.

Same for me. I already own the 35mm f2 and 50mm f2 and a Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 55mm f1.7. I think I will replace the 18-55mm by buying the 23mm f2 and 16mm f1.4 (as the 16 is already a superb glass which adds some wider focal length).

#20 sarge

sarge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:04 PM

I really hope Fuji comes out with the MK II soon. I have been tempted several times to pick up the MK I but keep on hoping the MK II will come. 

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close