Transition from DSLR to XT 1 help/advice

Davy Crockett

Hi forum

Some help and advice please

Shot with a few DSLRs for last few years, Nikons then Canons and had my XT1 for around a month.

totally different camera and controls to the DSLR but pretty pleased with results so far.

Last weekend was my cousins wedding and went prepared to take some nice family shots, bride, groom etc and took about 100 pics

Mostly had ISO and shutter on auto with 35mm f2 Fuji lens, altered f stop a few clicks depending on shot but found that 60% of shots were blurred, looking at info, slow shutter speed.

With DSLR on auto, I would get a get a good pic but on the XT1, if I speed up the shutter, the shot was dark. The wedding was 2pm and light good.

Could any members offer advice or at least point me in the direction of a good link/book to aid my learning please?

Thank you in advance

Guest welshkc

I shoot exactly like you do, but set some limits to avoid the gotchas.

My experience is that the Fuji on Auto will drop the shutter speed first then ISO.  So I set a minimum shutter speed of 1/100 in the settings.  That way the shutter stays where I need it for blur free and the ISO will max out at 6400, which still gives low noise, but good low light performance.  Your auto ISO ceiling may be set too low.  Go into the settings and move it up to 6400 as a max.  The camera will select a value up to that.

So my darkest shots have 1/100s, ISO 6400, and whatever F/* I have set for it.

Yes - same thoughts from me.  The key is the minimum shutter speed setting for the Auto ISO.  I usually use 1/60 with the 35mm lens for slow moving subjects - like a steady portrait session or static objects, but raise to 1/100 for general shots.  I set either max ISO 3200 if I want high quality portraits, or 6400 for general shots (but this will risk the excess skin smoothing if you shoot jpegs).

Also - but it's too late now - the 35 f1.4 has a low light advantage over the f2.

• 3 weeks later...

Like Richard, I'm a newbie to my X-T1 and would like to have a good supplemental book to help me better understand all of the features of this great camera.

I'm shooting aperture priority and capturing the images in JPEG and Raw. So far so good as I'm very pleased with the good crisp images I'm getting.

• 1 month later...

I seldom go Full Auto.  I will go shutter preferred or aperature preferred depending on the situation.   Shooting sports and wildlife - I set for the fastest shutter speed and workable ISO and let the camera worry about the aperature.  Shooting portraits, flowers, etc., I set the aperture for the specific scene and DOF I want and use the ISO again to get a workable shutter speed.  Get off full auto and be willing to work your camera more.