exposure comp not working in manual mode

joseph0810

In full Auto (ISO, time, Aperture) you can with exp. comp ring correct the exposition. If you have all - ISO, time, aperture on nominal value (examle: ISO200, t1/125, f4) you can correct exposition manual with aperture, or time, or ISO ring. When you choose any of this 3 options to A, is ring of exp. compensation active for manual exposition.

• 11 months later...

I've just got the camera a couple of days ago and it's happening the same with mine. All set in manual but the compensation in the EVF is moving on its own and when I rotate the dial nothing changes. The only thing I've changed is that I set the back dial to AF. Could it be that the reason?

Exposure compensation does nothing when you are in Full manual exposure mode

What you are seeing on screen is the light meter which shows how many stops you are over or under exposed by.

In full manual mode if you need to adjust exposure change the Aperture, Shutterspeed, or ISO

Edited by Tikcus

I wes set my xt2 to manual mode, but the exp is stay auto,

Sombody tell me how to manual exp....?

I'm sorry i'm new....

EC is not available in FULL manual mode.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Why would you want EC in manual mode?

Exactly, EC is for the various AUTO modes. In manual mode you have full control over exposure, the camera does what you tell it to do. The controls on the Fujifilm X cameras are made for manual shooters. The whole retro placement of aperture ring, shutter dial and ISO dial makes it super easy to shoot in full manual. They should make it more explicit in the manual for newbie shooters.

Edited by lysander

as others say there is no point in having an exposure compensation in manual mode.

As you expose in manual mode the meter lets you know exactly of how many stops or fraction thereof you are deviating from the manual exposure. So you  can intentionally under or overexpose your shot.

Thanks for the answers I was just playing with all the wheels and buttons and just notice that when turning the wheel nothing happen.

I'm new to Fuji after 21 years of Nikon and I'm kinda lost.

Once you get the hang of the controls being fully manual with the aperture on the lens, the iso and shutter speed on dials, you'll not be lost for long (that and you can set up your Fuji before you switch it on)

Also relatively new to Fuji , but as stated manual mode requires you to adjust exposure by using the shutter speed, aperture, and ISO.

I shot full manual with Pentax before making the jump to the X-T2, but I sometimes now shoot  near full auto because it will make the same decision I would make in manual. I will usually want to set my ISO as low as I can. It's possible I'm just getting lazy.           

• 9 months later...
On 1/22/2018 at 8:34 AM, Mike G said:

Why would you want EC in manual mode?

When in manual mode in other brand cameras (which shall remain nameless), an EC setting will cause the viewfinder exposure meter to display over or under exposure in accordance with the amount selected. For instance, if you set EC to +1, the meter will read 0 when you've dialed in settings accounting for an overexposure (according to the camera) of +1 stop.

With EVF cameras where you can often ignore the camera metering and choose settings based on the appearance of the scene in the viewfinder, that functionality isn't as essential. It's very useful, however, when using a camera with an optical viewfinder, which only displays the scene as it does appear, not as it will appear when initiating the shutter actuation.

In short, it's a mirrorless vs mirrored thing.

• 1 month later...

Instead of going for "exposure compensation", I chose full manual operation (I'm restrained to call it manual "mode", you see...).

Why would you chose "exposure comp."? - Most of the times it is when light condition is tricky, for example the main light comes from front direction. Okay: I have noticed in those difficult light conditions, the exposure depends on what you're pointing your camera at. A slight angle upward / downward / left / right and the auto exposure gives very different values.

So what I do is - assuming I've chosen the aperture I want and I'm using auto ISO / auto shutter time - I point the camera so that the exposure just feels right, take a photo and read out ISO and shutter values. Now I simply set ISO and shutter to the values just read out.

So I'm shooting full manual and get the results I want, independantly of any angle I shoot. Okay, just my 2c.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This extract from my FREE booklet may help you get to grips with the camera quickly even though it is aimed at the X-T20 user:

“Manual - with the lever in normal the Shutter Speed Dial and the Aperture Ring set their respective functions. (The shutter speed and aperture display in the viewfinder are in blue as both are under manual control).

Note: In Manual Mode the Exposure Compensation Dial is inactive however the Exposure Compensation Info in the viewfinder/screen can now be used to judge whether the exposure is correct as long as it has been activated as follows: Set Up > Screen Set-up > Disp. Custom Setting (on Page 2) > Expo. Comp. (Digit) or Expo. Comp. (Scale)

From: Rick Churchill. “Fujifilm X-T20 Tips”, 2018. Apple Books.