Clicky

Photo
- - - - -

To those upgrading to X-T2 from X-T1, worth it?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 wonilsuh

wonilsuh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

I upgraded - slightly faster AF and higher resolution was good enough for me. I personally don't care much about other updates, X-T1 was already amazing.

#42 Biuti Chile

Biuti Chile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:09 PM

The improvements in back button AF are also very nice.

Hi ErikN,

I struggle a lot with back button focus on the X-T1, how is this improved on the X-T2? haven't read about it.

Cheers!

#43 razar

razar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:21 PM

To be honest I recently upgraded from the X-T1 to the X-T2 because I was never totally happy with how the RAW files were rendered in LR. I thought the extra resolution of the X-T2 would help, but the improvement is modest at best, and still suffers heavily from the watercolour/worms effect that is well documented.

I downloaded a beta copy of Irident Developer today, and was hugely impressed with how it renders the RAF files. As an experiment I used it with an X-T1 image and then upsized the file to 6000 x 4000, and then made a direct comparison to the same photo taken with an X-T2 which had been processed in LR. They were identical!

I genuinely believe that if you are currently using an X-T1 with LR to process RAW files you could just buy a copy of Irident Developer, instead of buying an X-T2. I was going to sell my X-T1 and buy the X-T20 as a second body, but I'm not going to bother now.
  • Isaac Hilman likes this

#44 MSW

MSW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:25 PM

Hi!

I'm really on the fence about upgrading from my X-T1 to the X-T2. It has a lot of improvements I like, usable video being one of them, but at the end of the day it comes down to image quality.

I have heard a lot of conflicting opinions about the image quality of the X-T2 compared to the X-T1. Some say it's way better, others say it's missing the Fuji magic from the earlier generations. I love the image quality of my X-T1.

So, upgrading to the X-T2 is a significant expense and if the magic isn't there then it may be a mistake upgrading.

How do those of you that have upgraded feel about it? Any regrets? Was it worth it?

If you have both then which do you prefer image quality wise?

I'm talking OOC JPEG here mostly as RAW can be processed to taste either way, but any opinions from owners is appreciated. Don't want to spend the money and then be disappointed by the image quality.

Thanks,
Erik

I think the the following is and will be true for any of the new bodies:  the 24mpx sensor is a big improvement over the older 16mpx for several reasons but to me the most important is the improvement in dynamic range.  It's ver obvious to me when I compare processing in LR.

• Puma Cat likes this

#45 Puma Cat

Puma Cat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:35 PM

Just got a X-T2 two weeks ago ( had a X-T10 before, which I love), and for everything else than couple of major issues (for me) it's a beast!

Two big issues though:

1. The Auto-exposure on the X-T2 sucks, and almost always underexposes. It prioritises highlights to a degree, where it's not nearly as usable for SOOC jpeg shooters and the X-Trans II gen. cameras. I really wish that would fix this. My older X-T10 nailed exposure 99% correct.

2. The film sims. need some tweaking to match the X-Trans II equivalents. Some are better though. Velvia and Astia for example.

Things that are a real improvement from my X-T10 was:

1. Autofocus performance. Fantastic. Even with my 35mm 1.4 R, which was super slow on the X-T10, is now it's super fast.

2. Waxy skin tones from ISO 1600 and above is gone!

3. High ISO performance. I am going back and forth if the new sensor really is 1 stop better, or if it's just the noise characteristic that's different and better. Can't say for sure.

4. Overall performance. Fast fast fast. Startup, Playback, everything.

5. Acros simulation

6. Resolution

7. Detail of the new sensor. There is a difference. Small, but noticeable.

I would agree that the autoexposure algorithm has changed a bit on the X-T2 relative to the X-T1 and there is an emphasis when using the Pattern metering mode for "exposing to the right." If one is going to expose in one direction or the other, this is in fact the correct direction because there is more data in the image in the highlights than in the shadows. This has to do with how the camera bins the data when it converts the real image to a digital representation. I will say that the dynamic range on the X-T2 is considerable, and if highlights appear blown in the JPEG preview one obtains when using the camera in the Pattern mode, you can almost always fully recover highlight detail of the RAW image. If it is still an issue, though, try the "center-weighted exposure mode" on the X-T2, which meters more along the lines of the Pattern (Multi) mode of the X-T1. 

Edited by Puma Cat, 27 January 2017 - 10:38 PM.

#46 Puma Cat

Puma Cat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:54 PM

Hi!

I'm really on the fence about upgrading from my X-T1 to the X-T2. It has a lot of improvements I like, usable video being one of them, but at the end of the day it comes down to image quality.

I have heard a lot of conflicting opinions about the image quality of the X-T2 compared to the X-T1. Some say it's way better, others say it's missing the Fuji magic from the earlier generations. I love the image quality of my X-T1.

So, upgrading to the X-T2 is a significant expense and if the magic isn't there then it may be a mistake upgrading.

How do those of you that have upgraded feel about it? Any regrets? Was it worth it?

If you have both then which do you prefer image quality wise?

I'm talking OOC JPEG here mostly as RAW can be processed to taste either way, but any opinions from owners is appreciated. Don't want to spend the money and then be disappointed by the image quality.

Thanks,
Erik

I have both and like both very much. Regarding out and out performance, the X-T2 is a major step up over the X-T1 is many different areas, most notably AF performance, overall responsiveness of the camera, resolution, etc. 

Regarding image quality...that depends on what you specifically mean by image quality, and you haven't specified exactly what you mean. There is obviously more resolution. Regarding other more subjective attributes e.g. tonality, gradation, dimensionality, I would say that the X-T2 is comparable, but somewhat superior to the X-T1. A lot of this is subjective and depends on many different factors, e.g. the quality of light, the lens, the scene, the amount of light relative to shadow, the intention of the photographer, etc. etc. I will say that the X-T2 has notably more dynamic range than the X-T1 and as a consequence, much more editing headroom.   

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Puma Cat, 28 January 2017 - 12:33 AM.

#47 spivey

spivey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:59 AM

Worth it? Definitely! I switched from the X-T1 to the X-T2 as soon as I could.

My X-T1 always hesitated for an instant when I pushed the shutter button. This was irritating -- and the X-T2 fixes this. It is more responsive. And it has a nice, quiet shutter sound. A Sony A7 camera sounds like a small gun in comparison to the X-T2.

Some other improvements:

- The Acros film simulations! They are so good that they are worth half the price of the camera.

- The autofocus joystick. Every camera should have one.

- High ISO performance. With the X-T1, ISO 51,200 was nothing but a bad joke. The T2 is usable all the way up to 51,200 -- and we can now shoot RAW at all ISO settings. When you use Acros, even jpegs at high ISO settings look good.

- The battery meter works as it should. It doesn't drop from half full to PANIC.

- You don't need to push down a tiny locking button to change ISO.

And of course Fuji wouldn't be Fuji if the camera didn't have some quirks and inconsistencies.

- We got a "My menu", but certain settings can't be added to it. No idea why.

- The buttons on the camera back are still too small and too shallow, making them difficult to click.

- We can now see battery level in percent, but only on the LCD, not in the EVF.

#48 ErikN

ErikN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:10 AM

Hi ErikN,

I struggle a lot with back button focus on the X-T1, how is this improved on the X-T2? haven't read about it.

Cheers!

Back button AF is available in all focus modes, so it's easy to switch between AF-S and AF-C. In AF-S and AF-C the focus ring is disabled on the lens too as far as I know, which should help with accidental refocus (which has happened a few times for me)

To be honest I recently upgraded from the X-T1 to the X-T2 because I was never totally happy with how the RAW files were rendered in LR. I thought the extra resolution of the X-T2 would help, but the improvement is modest at best, and still suffers heavily from the watercolour/worms effect that is well documented.

I downloaded a beta copy of Irident Developer today, and was hugely impressed with how it renders the RAF files. As an experiment I used it with an X-T1 image and then upsized the file to 6000 x 4000, and then made a direct comparison to the same photo taken with an X-T2 which had been processed in LR. They were identical!

I genuinely believe that if you are currently using an X-T1 with LR to process RAW files you could just buy a copy of Irident Developer, instead of buying an X-T2. I was going to sell my X-T1 and buy the X-T20 as a second body, but I'm not going to bother now.

A good point for sure, but resolution and image quality is not the reason I'm considering to upgrade. It's the small but significant improvements all over. Dual card slots, better bracketing and snappier overall performance to name a few, but the biggest reason is that the X-T1 is almost impossible to handle with thick gloves.

I live in Sweden. It's very cold here for a significant amount of time per year. ISO is difficult since the dial is always locked and forget about using the directional pad to change focus points and navigate menus. The joystick should provide a much needed improvement in handling here.

There are a few things I would love to see in a firmware update for the X-T2 though. Bug fixes and general improvements for sure, but also things like the new exposure bracketing system from the GFX, more selectable aspect ratios (4:3, 5:4), RGB histogram and highlight clipping warning for example.

Some hardware improvements would be nice too, like the new lock button from the GFX for the LCD which doesn't require sliding it, just a push (subtle but nice improvement). And even though I'm not a huge fan of a touchscreen I still find it useful for focus pulling in video. The GFX has one, the X-T20 has one and the X70 has one. The X-T2 not having one seems a bit odd now that both it's smaller alternative and the new medium format beast has one.

Knowing Fujifilm they won't release an X-T3 for a couple of years, and I like that they don't release new models almost before the previous one hits the store shelves (hi Sony), and instead improves their cameras by firmware until there's a good reason to release a new model. I can't help but feel though that it would make sense to add a touchscreen. X-T2s maybe? Probably not. I would still take a joystick over a touchscreen any day if I had to choose.
Instagram: @_erikn_

#49 ErikN

ErikN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:15 AM

Worth it? Definitely! I switched from the X-T1 to the X-T2 as soon as I could.

My X-T1 always hesitated for an instant when I pushed the shutter button. This was irritating -- and the X-T2 fixes this. It is more responsive. And it has a nice, quiet shutter sound. A Sony A7 camera sounds like a small gun in comparison to the X-T2.

Some other improvements:
- The Acros film simulations! They are so good that they are worth half the price of the camera.
- The autofocus joystick. Every camera should have one.
- High ISO performance. With the X-T1, ISO 51,200 was nothing but a bad joke. The T2 is usable all the way up to 51,200 -- and we can now shoot RAW at all ISO settings. When you use Acros, even jpegs at high ISO settings look good.
- The battery meter works as it should. It doesn't drop from half full to PANIC.
- You don't need to push down a tiny locking button to change ISO.

And of course Fuji wouldn't be Fuji if the camera didn't have some quirks and inconsistencies.
- We got a "My menu", but certain settings can't be added to it. No idea why.
- The buttons on the camera back are still too small and too shallow, making them difficult to click.
- We can now see battery level in percent, but only on the LCD, not in the EVF.

Yeah, the battery meter on previous models sure can be a source of anxiety sometimes. "You have plenty of power. No need to worry. Oh sorry. Just kidding. New battery please."

#50 Isaac Hilman

Isaac Hilman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:27 PM

Although running those XT-2 files through Iridient will drastically improve them as well ;)! Just recently started using the program too, and love how it handles RAF files!

#51 ErikN

ErikN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:37 PM

Although running those XT-2 files through Iridient will drastically improve them as well ;)! Just recently started using the program too, and love how it handles RAF files!

I have heard great things about it, but I'm waiting for transformer to be available for Mac, since I don't need the whole thing. Have tried Irident developer once and it brought out an amazing amount of detail compared to Lightroom. Every Fujifilm owner should at least give it a try :)

#52 Isaac Hilman

Isaac Hilman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:18 PM

I have heard great things about it, but I'm waiting for transformer to be available for Mac, since I don't need the whole thing. Have tried Irident developer once and it brought out an amazing amount of detail compared to Lightroom. Every Fujifilm owner should at least give it a try :)

Ahh right, the X-Transformer is only PC right now :(. Pretty sure Iridient mentioned somewhere about working on the MAC version though, which will be great. I never did try the Developer, I'm kinda set in my LR / PS workflow, ha.