Clicky

Photo
- - - - -

To those upgrading to X-T2 from X-T1, worth it?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Torturro

Torturro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:28 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

as a 2 years user of xt1 and half a year of xt2 - financialy - it doesnt make any sence - no big imrovements. Do I like my xt2 more than xt1? yes. 

#22 kimballistic

kimballistic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationYosemite National Park, CA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:33 PM

as a 2 years user of xt1 and half a year of xt2 - financialy - it doesnt make any sence - no big imrovements. Do I like my xt2 more than xt1? yes. 

Video quality went from unusable in the X-T1 to fantastic in the X-T2.

We all have different needs and priorities.  Don't forget that. :)

• Torturro likes this

#23 ErikN

ErikN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

Thanks everyone! Your replies have been very helpful.

Edited by ErikN, 11 January 2017 - 04:16 PM.

Instagram: @_erikn_

#24 johant

johant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:04 PM

We all have different needs and priorities. Don't forget that. :)

True. I even don't know how video works on the X-cameras.

#25 hildasea

hildasea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:15 PM

Hi!

I'm really on the fence about upgrading from my X-T1 to the X-T2. It has a lot of improvements I like, usable video being one of them, but at the end of the day it comes down to image quality.

I have heard a lot of conflicting opinions about the image quality of the X-T2 compared to the X-T1. Some say it's way better, others say it's missing the Fuji magic from the earlier generations. I love the image quality of my X-T1.

So, upgrading to the X-T2 is a significant expense and if the magic isn't there then it may be a mistake upgrading.

How do those of you that have upgraded feel about it? Any regrets? Was it worth it?

If you have both then which do you prefer image quality wise?

I'm talking OOC JPEG here mostly as RAW can be processed to taste either way, but any opinions from owners is appreciated. Don't want to spend the money and then be disappointed by the image quality.

Thanks,
Erik

I have X-T2 since 09/2016. If you need very fast and accurate AF-C focus, large files and joystick, or you need very capable video features, so is the X-T2 most better as X-T1. With power grip and XF 50-140 you have the same or better focus capability as top Canon or Nikon (for sport ect.). The image quality is not too different.

For me have X-T2 better AWB in difficult light conditions - for example concert, theatre ect.

Edited by hildasea, 11 January 2017 - 10:16 PM.

#26 Florian

Florian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:00 AM

Hi!

I'm really on the fence about upgrading from my X-T1 to the X-T2. It has a lot of improvements I like, usable video being one of them, but at the end of the day it comes down to image quality.

I have heard a lot of conflicting opinions about the image quality of the X-T2 compared to the X-T1. Some say it's way better, others say it's missing the Fuji magic from the earlier generations. I love the image quality of my X-T1.

So, upgrading to the X-T2 is a significant expense and if the magic isn't there then it may be a mistake upgrading.

How do those of you that have upgraded feel about it? Any regrets? Was it worth it?

If you have both then which do you prefer image quality wise?

I'm talking OOC JPEG here mostly as RAW can be processed to taste either way, but any opinions from owners is appreciated. Don't want to spend the money and then be disappointed by the image quality.

Thanks,
Erik

I've never read the image quality of the x-trans III sensor being a downgrade compared to II. Even people who complained that the x-trans II lost some of the `magic' of the x-trans I are saying that the x-trans III's `magic' is much closer to the first generation than the second gen. (X-T1 has second gen)

Note that this is completely subjective, since the technical specs are definitely way beyond earlier gens, so I suggest comparing images to see which one you prefer.

Edited by Florian, 14 January 2017 - 10:03 AM.

#27 Heatboy

Heatboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:17 PM

Just got a X-T2 two weeks ago ( had a X-T10 before, which I love), and for everything else than couple of major issues (for me) it's a beast!

Two big issues though:

1. The Auto-exposure on the X-T2 sucks, and almost always underexposes. It prioritises highlights to a degree, where it's not nearly as usable for SOOC jpeg shooters and the X-Trans II gen. cameras. I really wish that would fix this. My older X-T10 nailed exposure 99% correct.

2. The film sims. need some tweaking to match the X-Trans II equivalents. Some are better though. Velvia and Astia for example.

Things that are a real improvement from my X-T10 was:

1. Autofocus performance. Fantastic. Even with my 35mm 1.4 R, which was super slow on the X-T10, is now it's super fast.

2. Waxy skin tones from ISO 1600 and above is gone!

3. High ISO performance. I am going back and forth if the new sensor really is 1 stop better, or if it's just the noise characteristic that's different and better. Can't say for sure.

4. Overall performance. Fast fast fast. Startup, Playback, everything.

5. Acros simulation

6. Resolution

7. Detail of the new sensor. There is a difference. Small, but noticeable.

#28 Nick05

Nick05

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:32 AM

Just got a X-T2 two weeks ago ( had a X-T10 before, which I love), and for everything else than couple of major issues (for me) it's a beast!

Two big issues though:

1. The Auto-exposure on the X-T2 sucks, and almost always underexposes. It prioritises highlights to a degree, where it's not nearly as usable for SOOC jpeg shooters and the X-Trans II gen. cameras. I really wish that would fix this. My older X-T10 nailed exposure 99% correct.

2. The film sims. need some tweaking to match the X-Trans II equivalents. Some are better though. Velvia and Astia for example.

1. Autofocus performance. Fantastic. Even with my 35mm 1.4 R, which was super slow on the X-T10, is now it's super fast.

3. High ISO performance. I am going back and forth if the new sensor really is 1 stop better, or if it's just the noise characteristic that's different and better. Can't say for sure.

5. Acros simulation

6. Resolution

How are you metering? That can make a big impact on autoexposure. My X-T2 has no issues at all with AE. 

#29 ErikN

ErikN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:52 AM

Dual SD slots are very good for peace of mind.  I have XT2 slot 2 setup to backup slot 1.  I've never had an SD card failure yet, but knowing there is a backup happening as I shoot images I cannot shoot again ... it is a great peace of mind.

I find the Velvia processing of the XT2 to be better than the XT1.  The XT1 over saturates a bit and is noticeable if used on people when they are shot close up.  The XT2 Velvia is really nice for everything.

Don't know if that will help OP or not ... ?

Yes, dual slots is something I have really missed. I have been dealing with computers and electronics long enough to know that any type of storage can fail at any time. I currently don't do any paid work in photography, but I'm still always a bit nervous of my SD card failing. I don't want to lose any photos.

I have noticed that the X-T1 easily oversaturates the red channel in Velvia, and greens can be a bit intense too. I love using Velvia, but sometimes I can't because of oversaturation. If the X-T2 Velvia is better then great!

It helps, thanks!

I have X-T2 since 09/2016. If you need very fast and accurate AF-C focus, large files and joystick, or you need very capable video features, so is the X-T2 most better as X-T1. With power grip and XF 50-140 you have the same or better focus capability as top Canon or Nikon (for sport ect.). The image quality is not too different.

For me have X-T2 better AWB in difficult light conditions - for example concert, theatre ect.

I have found AWB to be really good in my X-T1, so if the X-T2 is even better thats great.

I've never read the image quality of the x-trans III sensor being a downgrade compared to II. Even people who complained that the x-trans II lost some of the `magic' of the x-trans I are saying that the x-trans III's `magic' is much closer to the first generation than the second gen. (X-T1 has second gen)

Note that this is completely subjective, since the technical specs are definitely way beyond earlier gens, so I suggest comparing images to see which one you prefer.

The difficult thing about comparing images that you have not taken yourself is that you really have no idea about the conditions the image was taken in. I tend to find image examples from the X-T2 to look a bit stale and boring compared to what I'm used to from my X-T1, but I have also seen a few really great ones that I really like. I think I need to use both myself to find out how they compare for me.

I do have an X-M1 as well, which is a first gen X-Trans, and I'm not using it enough with different film simulations to really learn how it differs from the 2nd gen, but I can clearly see a difference. Sometimes I like the look of the X-M1 better, and sometimes the X-T1.

Two big issues though:

5. Acros simulation

6. Resolution

I'm not too concerned about the AE. My X-T1 tends to underexpose slightly on the meter, but that's what the EV comp dial is for  :). If anything, I think the X-T2 will give me better exposures with it's brighter viewfinder. I tend to overexpose on bright sunny days since the EVF looks so dark. The live histogram helps a lot.

I like that Velvia is better. It's my favorite, but my most used one is Provia. I also like Pro Neg Hi sometimes. Hopefully they are just as good or better.

Interesting that the XF35 f1.4 is faster at focusing. I use it a lot, and have heard that it's better on the X-T2 than the X-T1, which is great.

Waxy skin tones is a huge problem, so that's a big one.

Overall performance improvements are great too, the X-T1 feels a bit sluggish. I wouldn't say slow, but sluggish.

Thanks everyone! I'm leaning towards upgrading. Would like to keep my X-T1 too, but my money tree is not growing  :unsure:  ;). Will wait and see if the battery grip deal will be available here at some point.

Instagram: @_erikn_

#30 N3w_Typ3

N3w_Typ3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:00 AM

While this is very subjective.

I love the improvements on the X-T2, personally I find the colours output are nicer on the X-T2.

I was given a chance to play the X-T2 when it was loan to me... It blew me away considering X-T1 is a very good camera, areas where X-T1 struggles are almost resolved by X-T2.

As mentioned, I sold my X-T1 after getting my X-T2. Is not about a better camera but more on how personally you like to use it. I really enjoy shooting more with X-T2.

#31 Lumens

Lumens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:04 PM

There are some things the XT-2 can do that the XT-1 can't.  Mostly it is the fast AF and 4k video, but if you don't use either of those then "no" not worth the expense.  As a hobbyist I like to shoot anything and everything so when I take out my 100-400 and go out to catch Birds in Flight the new AF is a MAJOR improvement and well worth the expense.  

However when I go out to shoot landscape the only advantage might be the larger sensor if I decide to print really BIG.  So definitely not worth the extra cost for that purpose.  As it is, I kept my XT-1 as a backup so I find occasionally carrying both cameras to allow me quick access for action with the XT-2 and also access for Macro or landscape without the hassle of changing lenses to be very handy.

You need to look at what you are going to be doing and if the changes provided by the XT-2 actually help in what you intend to use the camera for.  Then Yes it's worth it.  And "Yes" I LOVE my XT-2, it is GREAT!!

Edited by Lumens, 18 January 2017 - 02:06 PM.

#32 NochnKnipser

NochnKnipser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:24 PM

I agree with that.

I owned the x-pro1, the X-T1 and now the X-T2
I am just reading trough this discussion and went back to the x-pro1 files and compared some of the pictures with x-t1 and x-t2. The "magic"-Factor of the x-t2 is closer to the x-pro1 than the x-t1.

I am not a professional and using the camera for fun only. 

In terms of usability and technical performance the x-t2 is way ahead of the x-t1.

I enjoy it a lot ;-))

#33 CplGumby

CplGumby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

I upgraded and still have both. The reason I upgraded and am happy with the T2 is the Autofocus and shorter delay in EVF blackout when shooting burst. I shoot a lot of action photos so this is a great choice for me.

If you don't need faster focus, video, or short blackout times then stay with the T1. Landscape, street, portrait...the T1 is still good enough.

I do love my T2 AND T1.

• Aswald likes this

#34 Piano

Piano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:26 AM

I sold all my Canon gear for the XT-2 and am delighted with the image quality and weight saving.

#35 Nick05

Nick05

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted Yesterday, 02:33 PM

With the release of the X-T20, I think anyone with an X-T1 looking to upgrade needs to ask now whether they need the X-T2 or if the X-T20 makes the most sense. From what I have read and seen in reviews so far, the X-T20 looks more than capable as an X-T1 replacement for most people and is significantly cheaper than the X-T2. The X-T2 does have advantages, but the question is are they needed or worth the extra cost.