AF-L button on XT2 vs XT1

clr-im

Hi, I have recently upgraded from X-T1 to X-T2 and like the new camera a lot. However, I have a question about the AF-L button on the top right. On the XT1, I am sure that pressing this focussed and locked the focus, on the XT2 it seems to only lock OR focus but not both. So the only way is to press the shutter half way and then press the AF-L button to lock it, which is very fiddly. When in manual focus mode it does focus but does not lock as I would expect.

I have both cameras and there is a difference... when the cameras are set to AF-S.  In this mode, the X-T1 acquires and locks focus when you press AF-L but on the X-T2 pressing AF-L does NOT acquire focus... it simply locks lens focus and prevents the shutter release from acquiring focus.  In AF-M mode the AF-L button works the same on both cameras.

Personally, I don't see why Fuji decided to make this change on the X-T2... its annoying and the reason for it escapes me.

Hmmmm ..  this seems a bit confusing.  I shoot with XT1 and XT2 at the same time when I'm at my weddings (#1 reason I do photography) and I have the AFL working the same way on both cameras.  When I press the AFL button, it acquires focus (I use AF-S for single point) and it holds/locks focus as long as I hold the button.  When I release the button the focus lock ends.

This lets me (on both cameras), lock the focus and lock it while I recompose or wait for the moment to happen.  Then I press the shutter button and I have instant photo (and a notably quicker capture on the XT2 versus the XT1).

I upgraded from an XT-1 to an XT-2.  When the AF-L button is depressed with the camera in AF-C mode, the camera acquired focus and locked the focus at that settin. The AF-L button in the XT-2 confused does not work the same way. In fact, it appears to work only as a back button focusing button in manual focusing mode. It does nothing in AF-S mode. Even if I focus in AF-S mode then switch to Manual mode, depressing the shutter halfway refocuses. I tried several combinations of settings in the Back Button settings for AF-L. It really does need a firmware change to allow the lock button as before. 

I continued to play around with menu settings.  If use the settings below, the AF-L button will work like it did in the XT-1.  However, you lose back button focusing with the AF-L button. I the Button/Dial Settings: Shutter AF On; AE-AF-Lock Mode. AE & AF On Off Switch; In the AF/MF Section:  Release/Focus Priority: Focus. 

When I set Button Dial Settings> Fn/AE-L/AF-L>Fn-2 to AF On, I am able to use it as a front button function in place of back button focus.