11 replies to this topic

#1 verysame

verysame

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Hi there,

My Sony A6000 is failing, so I probably need to buy a new camera soon.

At the moment I can't invest in a pricey new camera, so I have to look at some used one.

My main focus is urban/street. I thought the X-Pro1 could be a good candidate, but then I read is very slow.

How the X-E1 perform? Is it still a good camera to consider?

I will use manual lenses with adapters, mostly 24-35mm and I will shoot manual all the time. Later on, I might buy a focal reducer as well.

#2 frankinfuji

frankinfuji

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationThailand

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:43 AM

With the possible exception of auto-focus, which you may not need, and the better viewfinder on the newer X-Series, I think the X-E1 is still a very good performer.

I have an X-E2, but still use my older X-M1 (which has the same sensor and internals as the X-E1) as I prefer the jpegs from the older sensor.

I think I really only miss my X-E2 when trying to use auto focus in low light, or when I need to use a viewfinder.  (But I miss my X-M1 when I need a tilting screen or want a more compact camera!)

But compare prices of a good used X-E2 to an X-E1 - as the X-E2 with the latest firmware is the equivalent of the current X-E2S model.

And if you don't use a viewfinder much - look at new X-M1 - they can be found for around $350, with the XC zoom lens.

#3 asathor

asathor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationStuck on land too long.

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:21 AM

Yes the X-E1 is still a good camera and yes the images are great, and yes focus acquisition is somewhat slow but very precise.

The X-E2 with the 18-55mm was on sale briefly for $699 during the last sales cycle - if you need the lens and are OK with this price range (and the Sony holds up) hold your breath for an E2/E2s/T10.  With the A-3 and T-20 on the way the next factory authorized sales should be at least as good as the last one.

The XF-18-55mm is only discounted as a kit lens (list is a somewhat high $699 and the kit price is now $300 but used are still $400) then the body in a X-E2 kit on sale cost only $300-350 and that's a bargain for a new camera this good.

#4 verysame

verysame

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:36 AM

Great,

Thanks for the info, that's good to know.

I always shoot with old OM Zuiko 24mm or Nikon 24 mm, so auto-focus is not an issue.

My main concerns are:

1- Time needed between each shutter. As I shoot urban and street, sometimes I tend to take multiple photos in rapid succession. Old mirrorless suffered from the slow reaction, which is what concerns me.

2- Quality of the EVF. Considered I'm used to the A6000 which, to me, is a pretty good EVF, I don't know what to expect from the X-E1. That said, I know how the X-T10 viewfinder looks and I like it very much. Hopefully, the X-E1's is not too far from the X-T10's

Best,

Andrew

#5 johant

johant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:34 PM

The EVF of the X-E2 is better for manual focus too, in my opinion.

#6 verysame

verysame

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:49 PM

The EVF of the X-E2 is better for manual focus too, in my opinion.

Meaning is faster or there is some more advanced option for manual focusing?

#7 johant

johant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

Meaning is faster or there is some more advanced option for manual focusing?

Focus peaking is better, and more visible due to the selectable colours.

#8 verysame

verysame

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for the info, johant.

Do you know anything about the speed of the X-E1? I mean, is there any lag between each shutter release?

Old mirrorless were used to be kind of slow, after each snap, there was a moment to wait in order for the camera to be ready again.

#9 johant

johant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:07 PM

It never bothered me really. The speed of the memory card was a bigger factor in my case.

#10 verysame

verysame

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:09 PM

Thanks, johant.

That helps.

The x-e1 now runs pretty cheap in the used market, I might buy one.

#11 lleo

lleo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:22 PM

If your priorities are the camera capabilities, go for the X-E2. But they're complete different cameras in terms of photos.

Check the comparison on Fuji vs Fuji. It's not that one is better than the other, it's a matter of personal tastes.

• Curiojo likes this

#12 Nick05

Nick05

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

I had an X-E1, it was my first Fujifilm camera, and I considered it slow. The AF was slow and the EVF was also slow, sort of had some lag to it. The X-E2 resolved both those issues. If you are going to manual focus, the AF doesn't matter much. For me, the EVF was diffucult to see the focus peaking. I do not know if any of that improved with firmware updates as I sold it for the X-E2. Other than that, it was a great camera. I have seen some decent prices on used X-E2 bodies, but I'm seeing fewer used Fujis for sale.

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close