Clicky

Photo

Do we tolerate the bodies because of the lens qualities?

Lens Fuji quality

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 Nick05

Nick05

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:32 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Heh, that's another thing. I have never had play between lens and mount with *ANY* camera system in my life. Then I get to Fuji and find the lens mounts are aluminium (one step up from plastic) not brass or stainless steel and, moreover, the tolerances are so poor they all wiggle (often enough that the electrical connections break and the camera doesn't recognize that a lens is attached. Sure, you can get used to this kind of thing, but "built like a tank" it isn't.

Interesting. The only lens that has any play on mine is the XF 100-400mm and it is less than what most of my lenses on my previous Canon cameras/lenses had.

#22 Aswald

Aswald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:36 AM

No play on any of my lenses but the diopter adjuster dial on my Pro2....... :( ......it's like playing a game of chance with me. Funny thing is, it was tightly fitted before I adjusted it.....

#23 johant

johant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

Interesting. The only lens that has any play on mine is the XF 100-400mm and it is less than what most of my lenses on my previous Canon cameras/lenses had.

My 18-135 doesn't even have really much play, but it is obviously enough movement to break the electrical connections.

#24 teefus

teefus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:37 PM

no problems whatsoever with several years on an xt-1 and now several months on an xt-2. do love the lenses. not sure why anyone would go with an off brand lens with such amazing fujinon options.

#25 johant

johant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:48 AM

no problems whatsoever with several years on an xt-1 and now several months on an xt-2. do love the lenses. not sure why anyone would go with an off brand lens with such amazing fujinon options.

Because it is fun?
  • frankinfuji likes this

#26 JRphoto

JRphoto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:23 AM

Did you see this thread?

http://www.fuji-x-fo...ncs-cs-x-mount/

X100S & X-T1

#27 Florian

Florian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:40 AM

Because one can get equally amazing, but different looking, options off-brand?

There's decades of lens production to try and it's a delight to experiment with the different lens and film simulation combinations!

#28 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

No complaints about any of the bodies that I have or have had. The camera (X-T1 now the others I’ve sold) works as well as any of my Nikon, Contax, Pentax of the past. I am used to shoot manual and non autofocus, when I started taking pictures there were no autofocus cameras. Sometime I wonder what the fuss about slow autofocus is.

No complaints about any lens, both original or not.

I own the 60mm, 18-55 and 50-230mm all perfect for my use of them. I have no complaints for the 60mm or the 50-230mm. I suspect that many whom do complain are used to debate how many angels would fit on a pinhead.

You can fill your life of ifs or buts or you can deal with things.

The Samyang 8 & 12mm are among the best lenses that I’ve ever owned in over 40 years ( I have also owned the 10-24 and swapped it for the 12 since I used it mostly at 10mm ).

The Petzval 85mm does something that no lens (without heavy software intervention) could do. My resuscitated Oreston 50 f1.8 is both soft and sharp depending on the aperture despite its age and some particles on the inside of the lens. My Adapters allow me to use tilt effects ( Kipon) or use the Petzval or other lenses at a reduced focal close to their equivalent on a full frame..

I have also built a lens( well, almost) by using and modifying a Leitz  Elmar 50mm f2.8 Projection lens. The results are stunning or so I think

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

Please remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products. They don’t even pay you for this! Nobody really wants to know about the brand and type of your phone or the program that you use to post on the forum.

#29 johant

johant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:12 PM

I suspect that many whom do complain are used to debate how many angels would fit on a pinhead.

Well, not sure how many angels or pinheads you need for the camera shutting down by itself, or the viewfinder going black, but those are pretty annoying angels then.

Again, the way that issues are handled by Fujifilm Service is great, IMO, but I feel that I had substantially less issues with my Canon cameras. In fact, my nephew still uses my old 20D. I am not sure if the Fujifilm digital cameras will survive that long.

Edited by johant, 07 January 2017 - 01:17 PM.

#30 Nick05

Nick05

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:46 PM

Well, not sure how many angels or pinheads you need for the camera shutting down by itself, or the viewfinder going black, but those are pretty annoying angels then.
Again, the way that issues are handled by Fujifilm Service is great, IMO, but I feel that I had substantially less issues with my Canon cameras. In fact, my nephew still uses my old 20D. I am not sure if the Fujifilm digital cameras will survive that long.

You very well may be experiencing some unexplainable issues with your Fujifilm camera. My X100T did some odd things. It would drain its battery while off overnight and when you would turn the camera on, it would take photos on its own or behave as those the shutter button was half pressed. Fujifilm was really great about resolving the problem. I realize I have a problem with buying and selling cameras, lol, but I have had an X-E1, X-E2, X-T1, X-T2, and two X-Pro2 as well and the X-100T was the only camera that experienced an issue. On the Canon side, prior to moving to Fujifilm, I had cameras experience issues as well. One had a image sensor go out and then the no lens attached error. If you go to the Canon forums, you will see there are some issues there as well. On the Nikon side, one that everyone remembers is the oil issue on the sensor. I'm sure there are more, but Nikon is one I haven't much experience with. You can see that every company has had a few issues here and there, but most of the cameras are good and work without issues. The 20D was a great camera, one of my favorite Canons. I liked the way it rendered colors, but hated the horrible LCD. I've been thinking about trying to find a 30D in good condition.

#31 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

All of my Fujifilm cameras X-E1, X-M1, X-E2 & X-T1, never suffered from any of these problems.

Maybe I am very lucky. But, given the succes of these cameras, one of the most successful system on the market which revived the ambitions of Fuji , very depressed after years of unsuccessfully producing quasi-Nikons.

I suspect that most buyers have never experienced any problems.

I never had any. Nor have I ever experienced any bug of the most common lamented by this last and particular camera, the X-T1, which is accused of losing the bottom screws around the tripod attachment and the detachment of the plastic “ skin” and many more problems.

So I don’t have any need to lucubrate on whether the bodies are bad whereas the lenses are or would be good ( although there are plenty of complaints about the 35 f 1.4 being to noisy, various lenses having specs of black plastic or metal inside, the clunk of the 90, the slowness of this that or the other lens and so forth).

I strongly suspect that on the whole, these are minor and very limited complaints all addressable by the repair services and percentage wise not any more significant than any brand of cameras or electronic appliances anywhere.

Should this not be the case we would be a lot of remarkably prone to masochism, don’t you think?

If Fuji would sell bad stuff they wouldn’t have the market position they have. As simple as that.

Please remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products. They don’t even pay you for this! Nobody really wants to know about the brand and type of your phone or the program that you use to post on the forum.

#32 johant

johant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

@milandro my X-E1 is still extremely reliable indeed. My wife uses that camera now, but I might steal it one day

#33 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

I suggest you were simply unlucky in three years I have never had any major problem with the X-T1 and I am planning to use it for as long as I can and only ever replace it if the camera no longer works.

I have no desire to buy a X-T2 nor have I any need or use for any of its selling points. I might enjoy the joystick but that is about it. I don’t understand the need for a larger file nor I understand the need for any across simulation which I can reproduce in post production way better than the camera would do for me.

So all in all I am happy and count my blessings.

#34 Warwick

Warwick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

I've owned the X-E1, X-E2, X100s, X100t, X20, X70 and XPro2. I've never had any problems with any of them, and never been less than 100% happy with them. More than that, they've got better with every firmware upgrade and every new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 johant

johant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:47 PM

I suggest you were simply unlucky in three years I have never had any major problem with the X-T1 and I am planning to use it for as long as I can and only ever replace it if the camera no longer works.

Same for me with the X-T1 and the X-Pro1. After Fujifilm replaced the viewfinder assembly and some electronics, the camera has performed flawlessly.

With the X-T1, I probably just have bad luck. Which is a bit of a downer, since it is a great camera otherwise. Though I still like my X-Pro1 a bit more, due to the very useful optical viewfinder.

Edited by johant, 07 January 2017 - 03:48 PM.

#36 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:26 PM

we’ve been there already.

I don’t like viewfinder cameras and have tried many in over 40 years (although my father started me on his super Ikonta 6 x 9).

Anyway no camera is perfect and no camera is for everyone.

#37 didiergm

didiergm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

Been taking pictures for the last 40 years, I went through my share of bodies from different makers Konica, Pentax, Nikon for the last 16 years and I left completely for Fuji 2 years ago when I decided that I was more fighting against Nikon's engineers rather than concentrating on light, composition and subject. Fuji let's me quickly override what the engineers have decided : it collaborates with me rather than fighting with me and that is a huge bonus. 

I have had my share of problems with the different brands of both bodies and lenses, sometimes Nikon made a blunder on new bodies/lens/flash and never stepped up to acknowledge the facts (which Fuji did).

All in all so far I have had far less issues with Fuji products than with any other brands, which is quite good considering that the more electronics is put inside these beasts the more trouble you're going to get with hardware and software. 

And more importantly  the quality of the image I get from the combination of Fuji bodies and lenses pleases me a lot, so what's not to like ?

• frankinfuji likes this

#38 ErikN

ErikN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

I really like my X-T1. Sure, it has some small annoyances but overall I'm very happy with it. It has been in heavy rain and snow without any issues, it delivers great image quality and it's just fun to use.
Instagram: @_erikn_

#39 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:32 PM

no one HAS to buy fuji camera or lenses. You like them, great. You don’t like them? Move on to something else.

#40 KennethR

KennethR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:49 PM

Nikon D70 -- D90 -- D7100 -- Fujifilm XT-1 -- Fujifilm XT-2, could not be more happy. No problems what so ever with the body. And I know there will be firmware updates that will blow my socks off, so NO, I accept tht eboddies. Lenses....do not get me started :) They simply ROCK!!!

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close