X-T2 with dual battery grip self discharge?

davlewis

I have noticed since trading my X-T1 and the battery grip for same for the new X-T2 and the booster battery grip (with two batteries) a change in behavior when the camera sits in my camera bag for a week or two. On the X-T1 I could pull the camera out of the bag, and assuming I put it away with fully charged batteries the batteries still were essentially at 100%, I could go out and shoot and not worry about charging first. 

Since obtaining the X-T2 it appears that after sitting for a week or two between shoots that the batteries (all three, the two in the grip and the one in the camera) all show significantly less than full charge, in some cases less than 50% of charge left on one or more of the batteries. And NO the camera was not left with the power switch on, and booster mode is not on.

The one nice aspect of the X-T2 and the dual battery booster grip is that one can plug the AC adapter into the camera (under one of the rubber weather seal flaps) and if left charging all three batteries will charge without having to take any out of the grip, nor having to remove the grip to get at the in body battery to charge it. So given enough time for charging via the adapter all three batteries can be fully charged without having to take anything apart, very nice. 

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Sorry, haven't noticed that with mine.  But honestly ... I haven't paid close attention to the battery level when I put the camera in the bag and then compare to when I take it out again.  But it does make me curious and I'll try to do it when I think of it.

It may be good practice to try to get in the routine of taking the batteries out of the grip when you put the camera back in the bag (knowing it is going to be a little while before using the camera again).  This way you reduce the risk of a battery going bad and leaking in the grip.  It may be very rare, but a battery can easily become faulty all-of-a-sudden.  I try to take them out of my cameras when I think of it and leave them on my shelf.  Since I have two chargers, I usually put two batteries in the chargers and leave them there.  The charger will turn off when the batteries reach 100% anyways, so when I want the camera I throw the batteries in the grip and they are always at 100% from sitting in the chargers.  Should a battery go bad and leak, it will happen on the charger which is cheap to replace.  I realize that different battery types have different characteristics, but having dealt with leaking NiCad and NiMH and 12v high capacity marine batteries and experience with LiPo battery charging and their potential to burst into flames when charging ... I've learned a thing or two about being a little cautious.  I know the Li-ion are very stable hence used in our electronics, but the recent Samsung smartphone battery debacle shows it can happen.

A side note ... I have found that if I fully charge a Fuji battery and a Watson battery and leave them on my desk for one week ... then put them on the charger, the Fuji will be back to 100% charge in a couple of minutes, where the Watson may take approx 10 minutes.  But when both types are fully charged and I use the camera for a full day, I don't notice much of a difference in their lasting power.  They have been a great low cost battery for me over the past 2 years in my XT1's and XT2.

• 4 weeks later...

Davlewis, you mentioned that the camera was not left on, and the boost mode was not left on. You didn't mention if the grip itself was turned on, or set to lock. Have you checked to make sure that's not turned on? The switch right by the shutter button on the grip.

Also, as far as I'm aware, the AC adapter doesn't charge the battery inside the camera body. It only charges the two batteries in the grip. I have a USB cable that I charge the battery inside my camera body with and use the AC adapter to charge the batteries in the grip. 

I haven't noticed any battery drain issues with mine but my camera usually never sits for a week at a time. 

I had to take care of my ill mother, which kept me from photography for about two and a half months. My X-T2, with grip, was stored with three fully charged 126s batteries. When I turned it on, both grip batteries were red, and the in-camera battery was about 1/3 depleted.

Rand

• 3 weeks later...

Yes they need to be used and charged regularly. If you don't use it for a few months, throw the batteries on the charger before you try to use it again. Personally, if I don't use my backup camera for a few weeks I take the batteries out and put them on the charger before I take it out for a job. After two weeks my batteries are down to around 85% or 90% of their full charge. I also rotate through all of my batteries regularly so none of them sit for too long. 

Also, if you leave the battery out of the body for a period of time the internal battery that keeps the BIOS settings will reset.  I fired up an XT1 I had sitting around for a few months (don't keep the battery in the bodies I have sitting around) and it had reset to factory defaults.  I put a fully charged battery in it and left it for a few days to recharge whatever keeps the BIOS settings I customized.

• 2 months later...

I have an issue with the grip that should be addressed asap. When one battery depletes in the middle of a video interview, the camera shuts off after saving up to that point; even though the next two batteries are full. This is weird and annoying. Please fix.

Edited by Oops

I have an issue with the grip that should be addressed asap. When one battery depletes in the middle of a video interview, the camera shuts off after saving up to that point; even though the next two batteries are full. This is weird and annoying. Please fix.

I think you should contact Fuji about that issue.