Unable to control power on non-Cactus flash with X-Pro2 and V6 II

Hello,

I just bought two Cactus V6 II transceivers to use with my X-Pro2 and various flashes that I have bought over the years: Nikon SB-800, Sigma EF-530 DG (for Nikon) and Fujifilm EF-42. I also bought a Cactus RF 60 flash unit.

With one V6 II mounted on the X-Pro2 and the RF 60 (which does not need a transceiver, since the it is built in) everything works fine. It syncs at 1/250 sec and I can control the power all the way from 1/128 to 1 from the V6 II mounted on the camera.

But with the other flashes it does not work. The flash power with the Nikon, Sigma and Fuji flashes stays the same no matter what I set on the V6 II. 

I have the latest firmware (version 2) on the X-Pro2 and also the latest on the V6 II (1.1.006). The V6 II is supposed to detect the make of the camera it is mounted on. That does work in my case. The V6 II that the flash is mounted on detects the brand of the flash but not the exaxt model. I am not sure if it is supposed to, though.

I have read that the order in which you turn on the devices matters. So I turn on the flash first and then the V6 II.

I have not tried HSS yet. I want to be able to control the power output of the flashes first before proceeding to the next level. :-)

I hope someone has tried something similar to my set-up and maybe has found a solution.

Cheers,

Geir 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I just bought two Cactus V6 II transceivers to use with my X-Pro2 and various flashes that I have bought over the years: Nikon SB-800, Sigma EF-530 DG (for Nikon) and Fujifilm EF-42. I also bought a Cactus RF 60 flash unit.

With one V6 II mounted on the X-Pro2 and the RF 60 (which does not need a transceiver, since the it is built in) everything works fine. It syncs at 1/250 sec and I can control the power all the way from 1/128 to 1 from the V6 II mounted on the camera.

But with the other flashes it does not work. The flash power with the Nikon, Sigma and Fuji flashes stays the same no matter what I set on the V6 II. 

I have the latest firmware (version 2) on the X-Pro2 and also the latest on the V6 II (1.1.006). The V6 II is supposed to detect the make of the camera it is mounted on. That does work in my case. The V6 II that the flash is mounted on detects the brand of the flash but not the exaxt model. I am not sure if it is supposed to, though.

I have read that the order in which you turn on the devices matters. So I turn on the flash first and then the V6 II.

I have not tried HSS yet. I want to be able to control the power output of the flashes first before proceeding to the next level. :-)

I hope someone has tried something similar to my set-up and maybe has found a solution.

Cheers,

Geir

Are your off camera flashes TTL capable and set to TTL mode? I have the v6 mark I units, and they work fine with my old Nikon SB-24s and SB-28s. Even though you can't use TTL to control the exposure, the flash needs to be set to TTL so that the trigger can send a squelch signal to the flash to control its power output.