• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Mgjnet

Mgjnet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:27 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

There is a good review of vintage macro's in the 90 - 105 range here 

http://makingnottaki...-shoot-out.html

Personally I've got the Vivitar Series 1 105/2.5 in Nikon Ai (hangover from D700 days). However, in the past I've compared it on a X-T1 with the Fuji 60 macro both at max aperture and I can only see a very slight difference in quality at 100% - The 60 is only very slightly sharper but its only 1:2 whereas the Viv is 1:1. Also the colour temp on the Viv renders a bit cooler.

I've kept it as the reviewer says it is a fantastic 'thing' the build quality and industrial design is superb.

#22 Bill5818

Bill5818

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

I just got a Kiron 105 2.8 macro with a Nikon mount. Very sharp, goes to 1.1 and has a manual aperture ring. $180 at my local used store.

#23 triton76

triton76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:44 PM

i use some vinatge lenses for Makro on my X-E2, in order of magintude (by price) - and to be honest - quality is all very fine - Zuikos with famous Makro Tubus
BUT: all are designed for glassless sensor (analog film!) - and you will have the very same design issue with all lenses not designed for digital systems - ALL:

(cheapest)

Zuiko Makro 3,5/50 €45

Schneider Kreuznach Componon-S 2.8/50 (less than 30€ + 20€ for helicoid)

Tamron SP 2.5/90 (next to my XF56 my best lens?) -> get that for APS-C digital .... 125€

Zuiko Makro 4/80 €200

Zuiko Makro 4,5/135 240€

Zuiko Makro 2/50 (THE DREAM ITSELF) -> even the Elmarit-R 2.8/60 wants to beat it ;o) 350€

(most expensive)

Zuiko 2/50 is at eye-level with 50 cron but smaller, lighter and fits to OM4Ti ;o)

Edited by triton76, 28 January 2017 - 10:46 PM.

#24 Savviest

Savviest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:12 AM

Thank you everyone for the great recommendations.  Keeping my eyes open on Ebay for some of them now.

#25 Alex Cremers

Alex Cremers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:40 PM

The helicoid adapter arrived! What a game changer! Can't get close enough to your subject? Turn the ring of the adapter and voila! It's the ideal solution for turning old glass into macro glass.

#26 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:07 PM

I'm happy to hear that you got this in the end.

I am personally very happy with it especially for the reason that I can use it both for macro and to adapt lenses without any helicoid.

Lately I use it also on an Helios which had lost the last part of the focussing barrel (still has the internal helicoid) and in this way is adapted to Fuji and focusses very easily too.

Of course there are disadvantages in using an helicoidal extension macro tube since the light diminishes with the square of the distance you are pretty soon losing light like hell ( at the speed of light!) when you get very close.

Did you have to pay any tax?

Edited by milandro, 14 February 2017 - 06:08 PM.

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

#27 Alex Cremers

Alex Cremers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:49 PM

Of course there are disadvantages in using an helicoidal extension macro tube since the light diminishes with the square of the distance you are pretty soon losing light like hell ( at the speed of light!) when you get very close.

Did you have to pay any tax?

True ... but it beats using tubes. I found some beautiful Minolta Achromatic Close-up lenses (not those thin ones you see everywhere) for a few Euro so I'm probably going to alternate between that and the helicoid adapter for the coming time.

Nope, no taxes! The price was on the outside of the package. It said "Lens adapter. Value: 3.00". That is such a low value that Belgium customs probably let it slide.  :D

#28 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:00 PM

yes, they do that often, of course being a very small item this helps.

Interesting the achromatic lenses. I have found one Sigma Achromatic macro lens too but it appears to be just a close up filter like many others there is no indication of its dioptric correction. Maybe I will find something better one day.

Macro photography is not something I practice a lot but it is nice to have some extra macro capability.

#29 Alex Cremers

Alex Cremers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:41 PM

Here's a list of currently available achromatic close-up lenses.The Minoltas don't really have high diopters but it's more than enough for me. I'm not really into super macro. It's just nice to get closer to a little flower with a Super Takumar 55mm 1.8 lens, for instance. The helicoid adapter is downright perfect for that.

http://www.angelfire...r/closeups.html

Edited by Alex Cremers, 14 February 2017 - 07:42 PM.

#30 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:47 PM

thanks, found a SIGMA but tit is not mine, I think. 

I am happy for what I have to do with what I’ve got  ;)  :rolleyes:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: x-t1

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close