• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Savviest

Savviest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:10 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

I cannot afford to spend $500, $1000 or more for a nice macro lens, so I found an old Canon FD 200mm F4 Macro lens on Ebay for $300.  It is an awesome macro, but I need another old macro lens that is more in the 50-100mm range.  With the 200mm, I end up having to back a little too far away from the subject at times.  Constantly getting up and walking over to reposition the subject is annoying.  Any recommendations for some incredibly awesome vintage macro glass?

Attached Files

#2 Larry Bolch

Larry Bolch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta Canada

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:11 AM

I can highly recommend the 55mm f/2.8 MicroNikkor AI-S. At the time I purchased it, reviewers hailed it as the sharpest lens available for 35mm photography. Though designed for working close to the subject, I found it worked perfectly well as a "normal" lens as well. It has served me very well for nearly four decades and works fine on the X-Pro1 as a 82.5mm with a simple adapter and as a 55mm f/2.0 with the Speed Booster. Sharpness is very good in either case.

Checking KEH, they range in price from $168.00 - $182.00. The f/3.5 version ranges from $62.00 - $109.00. Non-AI are quite a bit cheaper. That said, my preference is for my 60mm f/2.4 Fujinon.

#3 sixtygp

sixtygp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:35 AM

Depending on how close you want to get, I can recommend the Minolta 50mm MD macro.  It doesnt go to 1:1, but it is  sharp lens.  On par with the DSLR Canon lenses.  KEH usually has them in stock.  You can get it with the extension tube sometimes too.  Usually under $100.  Great lens.

#4 lleo

lleo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:18 PM

Beside Super-Takumars, I'd go for the Tamron 90 SP. It's a super lens, even better than Nikkor 60. Not the last black model, the one before, grey. It's absolutely fantastic.

#5 plaidshirts

plaidshirts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:49 AM

I'd recommend Super Takumar 50mm f4 lens, the preset version that does 1:1. You should be able to get it for around $120. It is very compact and sharp. I've tried Canon, Olympus, and Minolta 50mm f3.5 lenses. They are cheaper with fine IQ but aren't true 1:1 lenses.

#6 Alex Cremers

Alex Cremers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:28 PM

All macro lenses are sharp. Look out for fast ones. The Vivitar 55mm 2.8 or the Vivitar 90mm 2.8 are good options. Nice to handle, good build quality, good IQ, 1:1 macro, affordable ...

#7 Rob1962

Rob1962

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

Hello,

I use the Canon FD 100 mm f4. This one is not too large and you get 0,5 magnification. You can combine it with the extension tube FD50 and it gives a real macro of 1:1. And it's very affordable. In Europe about 120 Euro for lens and extension tube second hand but in mint condition.

#8 MSW

MSW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:20 AM

I don't need a macro lens very often but when I do an older Nikon 105mm (AF-D or even just AF) works well.  Good ones are on eBay around $100 if you watch.

#9 Adapted Lenses

Adapted Lenses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:03 AM

Ni

I cannot afford to spend $500, $1000 or more for a nice macro lens, so I found an old Canon FD 200mm F4 Macro lens on Ebay for $300.  It is an awesome macro, but I need another old macro lens that is more in the 50-100mm range.  With the 200mm, I end up having to back a little too far away from the subject at times.  Constantly getting up and walking over to reposition the subject is annoying.  Any recommendations for some incredibly awesome vintage macro glass?

Nice kit  :)

Fujifilm fan who loves Fuji glass and adapted lens

Check out a few of my YouTube reviews here https://www.youtube....H3JDZkW30CvpzLQ

#10 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:09 AM

I have to agree that all macro lenses are sharp and I’ve used with much satisfaction a Asahi Pentax Takumar 100 f4. Frankly speaking I think that the 200mm above is too large and impractical for most applications

However I have another suggestion and that is using a macro helicoidal extendable adapter with a macro lens or with any ordinary M42 lens that you may have of course a close focus lens gets even more a macro reach.

Naturally this comes at some light loss ( which, as we know decreases with the square of the distance) but it is very usable all the same even hand held.

41IhY97fRyL._SX300_.jpg

I’ve just shot two quick and rough shots with a 50mm Meyer f1.8 at f4.

This lens is already a “ close focus” focussing at 33cm but with this adapter ( which is now for me the standard adapter that I use with M42 lenses) I can get 32mm of field on the wide side.

Attached Files

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#11 Alex Cremers

Alex Cremers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

I didn't know a helicoidal extendable adapter existed. I love the 50mm lenses that have a MFD of 30-33cm, like the Meyers and the Pentacons. I wish they would make thicker M42 adapters (like 3mm thick). That would enable you to get even closer to the subject while at the same time the lens is still usable for things that are somewhat further away. Maybe this helicoidal extendable adapter can provide an alternative for a really short 2-3mm tube?

Edited by Alex Cremers, 26 January 2017 - 10:42 AM.

#12 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:17 PM

this helicoidal keeps infinity focus too...

One of the best ideas around

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#13 Alex Cremers

Alex Cremers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:28 PM

Where can I get one?

#14 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:33 PM

ebay http://www.ebay.com/...d-/151091518641

sometimes cheaper

Edited by milandro, 26 January 2017 - 01:33 PM.

To all TAPATALK users

#15 Alex Cremers

Alex Cremers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:59 PM

Why is all the good stuff coming from China these days? Belgium customs has become very strict with anything coming from outside the EU. It's going to cost me twice as much and it will take almost two months before I get it. Grrrr!

#16 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:40 PM

if you select one of these at less than €30 including shipping you won’t be paying any VAT and the infamous “ handling through customs” which postal service or courier apply 

http://www.ebay.com/...sd=151091518641

To all TAPATALK users

#17 Alex Cremers

Alex Cremers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:22 PM

Really? No too long ago, I had to pay 26 Euro for something that only costed 12 Euro (including shipping costs). It's either that or you don't get the package. 

Anyway, I'm taking my chances and I ordered the one from your last post. Hopefully the package won't be picked out by customs.

Edited by Alex Cremers, 26 January 2017 - 05:25 PM.

#18 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:32 PM

Although there are general rules the threshold of application depends on the country. 

Sometimes the Chinese shipping agent declares a lower value and you don’t pay anything even if it is more. 

By the way, in the olden days you could buy something like this all over Europe and would have costed you an arm and a leg.

Perhaps there are Polish makers , there are certainly Russian ones ( buy they are again outside EU).

You can see if anyone imports this in the EU

To all TAPATALK users

#19 lightpainter

lightpainter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

If you are really ready to spend $1.000 or more for an "incredibly awesome vintage macro glass" (and 1:2 is not an issue) I can only recommend the Leica Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R 100mm f2.8.

It'll be a waste on APS-C though as it is better far into the full frame edges than many (even current) Japanese macros in their center.

You may also want to read Michael Erlewine's "Close-Up and Macro Photography" or "Close-Up and Macro Lenses", freely downloadable as pdf from his site.

There he provides one of the most complete overviews of vintage (and some current) close-up and macro lenses.

Edit: Oups, just reread your 1st post - you cannot afford the Leica. Sorry.

Nevertheless, Michael Erlewine's publications may be helpful for you.

Edited by lightpainter, 28 January 2017 - 01:59 AM.

#20 Zabo

Zabo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

@Alex Cremers

You could try to look around for an old Kilfitt KIL helicoid adapter like the one for the Makro-Kilar... you live in a good place to find a deal in a fleamarket...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: x-t1

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close