Focus By Wire motor is audible on video

RadBadTad

I did some video shooting for the first time with my X-T2, and the 4K files are really good looking, but unfortunately, the motor for focus on my lens (23mm f/1.4) is so loud that I can hear every little step and jitter it makes over the audio of the scene, even as I'm manually focusing. 

Does anyone have any thoughts besides "go buy all different lenses for video work" or "Don't focus while shooting"?

I sometimes shoot some concert videos, just for myself and for fun, so external mic is no option. The x100 is excellent, but the X-E1 with it's 35 1.4 has the same problem. I'd suggest using manual focus, use the AEF/AEL button to autofocus once, then start the video. 

Yeah. Use an external microphone or even separate audio recorder. Anyone serious about sound quality is going to do that anyway. That being said, many of the Fuji lenses focus very quietly, especially those with the LM designation.

The LM is a good tip. Thanks. I've been doing some reading and apparently the 23mm is one of the worst, along with the 35mm f/1.4. 

An external microphone. But could you be bothered, I couldn't...

I doubt I'll be bothered. I'm not making films, I'm just taking videos. Still though, it's a bit annoying. 

The LM is a good tip. Thanks. I've been doing some reading and apparently the 23mm is one of the worst, along with the 35mm f/1.4. 

I doubt I'll be bothered. I'm not making films, I'm just taking videos. Still though, it's a bit annoying. 

The best lenses for video on Fuji are the 18-55 and the 18-135 (both are silent focusing). Primes are pretty useless for video because of Fuji's lack of IBIS---you'd need a big shoulder rig, heavy tripod, steadicam or gimbal to get a stable shot. All of the zooms except for the 16-55 have OIS, which makes handheld shooting possible.

The best lenses for video on Fuji are the 18-55 and the 18-135 (both are silent focusing). Primes are pretty useless for video because of Fuji's lack of IBIS---you'd need a big shoulder rig, heavy tripod, steadicam or gimbal to get a stable shot. All of the zooms except for the 16-55 have OIS, which makes handheld shooting possible.

Unfortunately, I needed the prime for the fast aperture. I was shooting some B-Roll for a musician in a very dim recording studio and had minimal lighting capabilities. I tried the 18-55, but there wasn't enough light for it. Still though, it's a good tip going forward. I'll try to find ways to use the kit lens over the louder primes next time.

Unfortunately, I needed the prime for the fast aperture. I was shooting some B-Roll for a musician in a very dim recording studio and had minimal lighting capabilities. I tried the 18-55, but there wasn't enough light for it. Still though, it's a good tip going forward. I'll try to find ways to use the kit lens over the louder primes next time.

Are you sure you really need the wide aperture? The X-T2 video looks pretty good at ISO 6400.

Also, an LED video light is pretty handy and not too big to pack. I have this one, it's pretty good and compact if you don't use the high capacity batteries:

https://www.amazon.com/YONGNUO-YN300-Air-Temperature-3200K-5500K/dp/B0157PE1ZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480700196&sr=8-1&keywords=yongnuo+yn300+air

Edited by kimcarsons