X-pro 2 - I don't get it!

1. Allegedly the reason x-pro 2 has no 4K video is because of heat, yet its body is bigger than the x-t2 that does have 4K which in my world means that there is less room for heat dispersion. The hybrid viewfinder can't take up that much space, so the heat explanation seems lame.

2. X-pro 2 has no articulating screen as it would add weight and bulk, yet the x-t2 has it and it is still a smaller, lighter camera.

3. X-pro 2 does not charge via usb. X-t2 does. Why the difference?

I love Fujifilm, but these questions really bug me, as I really prefer the x-pro form factor, but feel I am missing out on some the cool stuff from the x-t2.

Frankly from my point of view and personal preference.these are pretty unimportant

1. Not interested in video.

2. Would be nice as long as it didn't increase the weight or dimensions -- unlikely pipe dream to say the least.  I can deal with it.

3.  Never used that feature on cameras that had it.  Prefer to just switch out batteries.

Of course, these are all PERSONAL --  they could be deal killers foe someone else., 

However:

4.  OVF is a tremendous benefit in certain situations with very bright sunlight.  It also works very well when panning or following a moving subject  - no black out, no freeze, no flicker.  Even when a small fraction of a second all of these annoy at best and sometime seriously interfere.

5.  I find it a big step up from any of the prior generation Fuji cameras for just one big reason -- the new sensor.  I could have stuck with the older Mpix count, that's not super important.   The new sensor seems to have a greater DR - at least that's how it feels when I'm working with the files in Lightroom.  Situations that used to call our for HDR just don't need it anymore.  I thought I was maybe kidding myself on this but this last weekend I hauled ot my X-E2 because where I was going involved a fairly strenuous hike and I wanted to minimize the weight I was carrying.  Quite a few shots that would have worked with the X-pro2 that I've become accustomed to just didn't work out because I couldn't make LR adjustments as successfully as I've come to expect.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Allegedly the reason x-pro 2 has no 4K video is because of heat, yet its body is bigger than the x-t2 that does have 4K which in my world means that there is less room for heat dispersion. The hybrid viewfinder can't take up that much space, so the heat explanation seems lame.

2. X-pro 2 has no articulating screen as it would add weight and bulk, yet the x-t2 has it and it is still a smaller, lighter camera.

I love Fujifilm, but these questions really bug me, as I really prefer the x-pro form factor, but feel I am missing out on some the cool stuff from the x-t2.

Ad 1) You would be surprised how much space the Hybrid Viewfinder takes up. Essentially the whole part left of the bayonet. But yeah, it sounds a bit lame...On the other hand it would be logical that Fuji regards the Pro2 to be more of a stills camera than anything else. It's a "Rangefinder style" camera after all...

Ad 2) I don't get your point. That's exactly the problem...with an articulating screen the X-Pro2 would be even bigger than it is now already. Although I wouldn't have minded. One reason why the X-Pro2 is bigger than the X-T2 is the complex, space-consuming viewfinder.

Ad 3) No clue. Maybe they only thought of that after the X-Pro2 came out. But honestly: Is that really such a sought after feature? I Never would charge my batteries in camera (and I got both, the X-Pro2 and the X-T2 (although I wish, I rather would have gotten a second X-T2 instead of the X-Pro2). The EVF got me hooked...(I skipped the X-T1 and got two X-T10s instead, so I was used to the smaller EVFs...but as soon as I had the X-T2...) 

I've been confused and don't believe the hype that Fuji dishes us to us either.

Add salt to wound, now the X-T20 has 4k?!  WTF?!  It's not only smaller than the X-Pro2, it's even smaller than the X-T2... and it has a tilt screen, but more on that later..  I don't do video much so it's not THAT big a deal to me, BUT, it's 2017.. even 2016, and they have over 4 years to develop the X-Pro2, no reason a modern camera can't have 4k as a given option even if it's not necessarily what the camera will be primarily intended for.. 4k should be a standard, period, and let the consumer/user decide how he or she will use it or not.

Yeah, no articulating screen, for me, was lame. I have owned enough mirrorless cameras with and without a tilt/articulating screen and I can say with 100% certainty, it makes absolutely no difference to the bulk, feel or weight of the camera. Don't care what other nay sayers preach, you CAN choose to not use it and it will never get in the way or be noticed.. I'd rather have the ability to get that low or high angle shot when needed.. In my mind, if the X-Pro2 had the 3-way tilt screen as the X-T2, I don't need front facing, it would be perfect.

Yeah, it seems like nearly all other X cameras can do USB charging these days, that should have been an option also included in the X-Pro2.. I have enough extra batteries charged and ready, but as a matter of convenience, having USB charging would have been a nice added touch had they implemented in the X-Pro2.

yes, as some have speculated, probably all part of Fuji's elaborate scheme to make us not have all in 1 camera to buy multiple ones.. although, if you think about it, save that of the OVF, the X-T2 pretty much has it all, doesn't it? So, IDK?.. kind of unfair unbalanced feature set across Fuji X line I feel sometimes.

With all that said, I still love and have only the X-Pro2 as my camera of choice for now.. it still bugs me that they could have made it 100% perfect had they added just those few touches which, leaving cost aside, from a tech and design stand point, there's no good reason why they couldn't have.

I have both, and yes the X-T2 is newer, has basily the same sensor, has more features and so on ... in short the x-t2 is maybe slightly the better camera, BUT I enjoy shooting the X-Pro 2 way more. I cant really tell you why but its just more fun ... for me at least. Not saying the X-T is not being used, I mainly use it for street and traveling, but most of my portrait or people stuff I enjoy more with my X-Pro2.

olisha very interested in your comment. I have been reading every review I can find on the X-Pro2 and XT2. I understand the hardware differences. XT2 movable rear scene not on X-Pro2. Both with 2 card slots but only the first on X-pro2 can use USH II card.

Differences between view finders.

What I cannot find is a review covering the cameras after the latest firmware updates. With the latest updates does the X Pro2 equal the performance of the XT2 regarding autofocus, write speeds, shutter lag etc..

All reviews this 76yo have read, the reviewer states the XT2 is better for moving subjects and wildlife, yet I seem to think that with the latest firmware they should be fairly equal.

• 1 month later...

If I need to shoot video for any professional use, I rent a video camera. The people who "get" the XPRO-2 probably don't really care that much about video anyway.
Having been making images for a long long time and having had many film and digital cameras,and broadcast video cameras, I can't for the life of me understand the
constant comparison that goes on. I buy a camera and lens(es), I then go out and use it until it dies, if I am getting the images I want. I don't really think
about the next big thing until it's time to go shopping for a camera again. It's a tool not a jewel.

I don't have any immediate plans to get an X-P2 yet, but as an X-P1 user -

1. Could not care less. If I wanted video I'd buy a different camera but I don't. Incidentally, apparently the reason the XT20 can shoot 4K is it uses a cropped sensor version which generates less heat but is less optimal than the XT2's; perhaps this will be brought to the XP2, but I doubt it at this stage.

2. One of the reasons I'm in the process of switching back from an XT1 to an XP1 was the tilt screen. I just didn't like it. I used it very rarely, and whenever I did, I was usually thinking "well..I could probably have seen the XP's screen from this angle anyway.." - and all the rest of the time it just felt fragile, and vulnerable, and like I was going to accidentally twist it off any minute. It gave the back of the camera a springy feeling that i found really offputting. Much, much happier to go with a camera where the screen's solidly attached where it needs to be.

3. I have two batteries, one gets charged every night, it's never occurred to me to ever charge on the go and I don't ever connect to a pc (I use a wifi card for transfers). They could take the USB socket away entirely and it would make literally no difference to me.

I should have spent my money on glass instead of on a X-T1. With that learning experience, I certainly won't put money in a X-T2.

The only thing I mildly enjoy in the X-T1 is the bigger EVF. But I hate that I cannot switch it to an OVF when I want to. The whole crap of tilt screen, video and faster AF is wasted on me. I don't like the centrally placed viewfinder as well, now that I have enjoyed the edge viewfinder (again) for a while.

No, I am not disappointed in the camera's capabilities; it is good. But I should have researched better on beforehand what I really want.

Between a X-Pro2 and X-T2 it's easy ... definitely X-Pro2 for me. But the reality is that my X-Pro1 is still pretty capable. And I don't care for the bigger file sizes (more computer power needed) of the 24MP cameras.

Edited by johant

Between a X-Pro2 and X-T2 it's easy ... definitely X-Pro2 for me. But the reality is that my X-Pro1 is still pretty capable. And I don't care for the bigger file sizes (more computer power needed) of the 24MP cameras.

Between a X-Pro2 and X-T2 it's easy ... definitely X-Pro2 for me. But the reality is that my X-Pro1 is still pretty capable. And I don't care for the bigger file sizes (more computer power needed) of the 24MP cameras

Every time I'm tempted to buy the X-Pro2, which happens fewer than before, I take my X-Pro1 and take some photo's.  I really don't need the X-Pro2 for my photo's. So for me tit's still too expensive. Maybe I wait for the X-Pro3  . . . The only thing I sometimes miss is a tilt screen. As days go by it's getting more difficult to kneel down and a tilt screen would come in handy . . . 

• 2 weeks later...

Peter,

This is all really just a matter of individual needs and budget. If there were one camera right for everyone, we'd all have it. I recently got an X-T2 to complement my X-Pro2. On paper, the X-T2 is more desireable (4K, articulated LCD, large bright EVF, etc.) but which one do I enjoy using the most? Hands down, the X-Pro2 but that's just me and won't apply to everyone comparing the two. We could guess all day long why Fuji omitted certain feature on the XP2 but that doesn't change anything. I would just try to think about how you shoot and what you shoot and prioritize the features based on that. If, for example, you really want or need 4K video then it's a no-brainer. If OVF/rangefinder experience is important then it's a no-brainer the other way. Both are capable of fabulous images. Good luck with your decision!

• 2 weeks later...

In the present stable we have the XS-1, the XA1, XT10, XE 2s & the recently acquired XPRO2 & various lens

We disposed of the  XPRO1 when we acquired the XPRO2

Good evening,

The XPRO2 is a brilliant joy to use and we find use for all the cameras on different occasions

The capability and ease of use is stunning, in OVF when I want to check the settings on a bright day I slip a finger in front of the viewfinder! The OVF makes it the perfect trip camera

The EVF earns its living with the long zooms and macro

GAS purchased the pre-owned XPRO 2 = it would not have been purchased at RRP in our budget

It will take years to master its complete capability rather than the functionality in one or two disciplines

I would not survive the morning of a Safari if the camera was recharged by USB

Require change of batteries through out the day

The daft thing is it is the XS1 that cannot be replaced in the FUJI brand  

What is concerning is the security issues that are coming up and I really do not want my kit packed into the hold

David

I've been using X-Pro2 since the release. I was one of the first in my city(Vancouver), who got it. Used it professionally since then. Just bought one for myself. I was deciding between new X100F and used X-Pro2 with 23mm lens. Bought X100F, used it for few days and returned it. X-Pro2 just feels much better in hand, more premium. I still have my full-frame kit that I like to use for certain situations when I need that creamy bokeh, but I just can't even think about how would I carry it with me everywhere. X-Pro2 was a revaluing for me, and still is. Sensor produces some incredible b&w images, and "Fujicron" lenses are exquisite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk