Advanced Filter disaster – don't let it happen to you

A few weeks after purchasing the X-Pro 2 ( my first Fujifilm camera ) and trying it out in varying situations to arrive at a set-up that suited me ( based around Aperture Priority, RAW/Jpeg, Auto ISO ), with technically impressive output, I confidently set off on a long awaited holiday to India to take some serious pictures.

A week in, I noticed a sudden change in the camera's performance and in the appearance of subsequent images displayed on the LCD screen ( grunge colours, vignetting, strobing of skies ).

The camera had switched to just shooting Jpeg in both slots and various Menu items where no longer available. As a relative novice and not realising that it had been something I'd done I carried on shooting for the rest of the trip vainly hoping that the Jpegs would be of a decent quality and that the fault was as much in the LCD display as anything.

Needless to say, it wasn't ...

I HAD SWITCHED FROM 'STILL IMAGE' TO 'ADVANCED FILTER' MODE BY ACCIDENTALLY DEPRESSING THE 'DRIVE' BUTTON ON THE BACK OF THE CAMERA

When I got home and downloaded the images to my computer the full horror of what I had done hit me. Not only had Advanced Filter been unwittingly selected but it had defaulted to the 'Toy Camera' option – just about the worst option in the list IMHO ( not that I'd ever be interested in using any of these filters ).

Unless I am mistaken there is no way back for these images ( there are no RAW files ). I've tried to rescue some in PS by removing Colour Cast, Desaturating, Cropping, and Cloning, but there are limits to the extent the damage can be hidden.

Plea to Fuji – make the default the LEAST OBTRUSIVE filter when Advanced Filters are selected, deliberately or otherwise

Plea to other new Xpro2 users - be careful and watch for with this ( its worse than the Exp Comp dial curse that is widely reported – at least if you shoot RAW you can remedy that one ) ….

Time to crawl away and cry …...........

this has happened a few times but I’ve always noticed that there was something wrong ( the first time, something else connected to the same selector happened, and that was that I put it on continuous shooting but that wasn’t so bad I only had to sieve through a lot of the same pictures).

When I put it on advanced filters by mistake, fortunately, not only I noticed (the filter was noticeable) but also the symbol , ADV showed in the viewfinder & Lcd ( white in the viewfinder and red in the LCD). 

This is, if you have enabled it to be displayed. If so, you might miss it but paying attentions to your screen in a camera as complex as this, helps.

• 1 month later...

this just happened to me. we were high in the mountains just before sundown. amazing scenery. then the viewfinder images all looked wierd. then realized camera was shooting this stupid thing called toy camera. at 2100m in late december is no time to figure this out. and the fotos suck. now warmly at home i am trying to figure out how to disable these dumb__s advance filters.

this just happened to me. we were high in the mountains just before sundown. amazing scenery. then the viewfinder images all looked wierd. then realized camera was shooting this stupid thing called toy camera. at 2100m in late december is no time to figure this out. and the fotos suck. now warmly at home i am trying to figure out how to disable these dumb__s advance filters.

yes, it is easy to correct once one understands (and remembers) what is happening.  but, we shouldn't have to do that--especially for such a silly feature.  it is a distracting interruption in the process of making a picture.  hopefully, fujifilm is getting similar feedback on this and will change it.

• 4 months later...

I was delighted to see the that latest Firmware (V3) has addressed this issue by allowing RAW shooting when in Advanced Filters. Anything shot by accident in Advanced Filter mode ( as above !) would  now be recoverable provided Image Quality is set up for RAW & Jpeg.  What happened to some of us need not happen to anyone else again.

THANK YOU for making this amendment  FUJIFILM !

• 5 years later...
On 1/2/2017 at 11:11 AM, EasyRay said:

yes, it is easy to correct once one understands (and remembers) what is happening.  but, we shouldn't have to do that--especially for such a silly feature.  it is a distracting interruption in the process of making a picture.  hopefully, fujifilm is getting similar feedback on this and will change it.

Well it's happened to me once again and I can't remember how to clear the filter on my X-Pro2 could you let me know?

How could Fuji call a camera Pro and then enable it to take photos like a toy camera? To add insult to injury the manual tells you how to select it but not how to cancel it - they should be shot at dawn!

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2017 at 1:28 PM, Pathpix said:

I was delighted to see the that latest Firmware (V3) has addressed this issue by allowing RAW shooting when in Advanced Filters. Anything shot by accident in Advanced Filter mode ( as above !) would  now be recoverable provided Image Quality is set up for RAW & Jpeg.  What happened to some of us need not happen to anyone else again.

THANK YOU for making this amendment  FUJIFILM !

Are you saying that Advanced Filter Mode, only affects JPG? If so only shooting RAW as I do should present any problem. On my X-H2S left hand physical dial there is a item marked FILTER. Never looked at it. Also I see the GFX100S thankfully seems to be free of 'advanced filter' option.

• 1 month later...