X-A3 with XF Prime Lense or X70, Please help..

Jo Hansen

Hello I'm Hansen from Jakarta, Indonesia. Nice to meet you all.

I'm about to have my first mirrorless camera, but I'm in dilemma between X70 and X-A2/A3. The X-A2 is entry level camera and limited features compare to other X series (but the price is much cheaper though). The questions are:

1. If I use the XF lenses to the X-A2, is the image quality would be better than the X70?

2. Is the X-trans sensor have a significant impact with picture quality?

3. Is the X70 fix lense would be enough for all around photography?

I would like to hear your input and advice.

Thank you very much.

The X-A series ( now comprising also the X-A10 which appears to be simply a re-packaged edition of the X-A2) is especially made for amateur photographers and targeted to the Asian market which requires cheaper cameras.

In particular it is obviously made for the amateur market and in practice the X-A series has ONLY sold in Asia for reasons that must lay in the particular marketing situation there.

The X-A series has a different type of sensor, not the X-trans sensor of all the other X cameras.

The X-70 had a broader market and it was especially targeted to a wider audience but especially among the younger people. Yet the sales are not spectacular, or so I am told by my local shop, and after a first enthusiasm now they are certainly lagging behind the new generation of X cameras ( the pro 2 and T2).

This cameras, the X-70, has also yesterdays sensor and will be either discontinued completely or replaced by a newer model with the new sensor soon.

So my advise to you is to wait.

Soon there will be the cheaper X-T20 and maybe the X-E3 will follow suit.

In my opinion buying the X-A3 will be a choice which few European, American, Australian buyers will make because these markets go for better quality cameras which I am afraid are more expensive too. 

However the X-T20 and possibly the X-E3 will be certainly only a little more expensive than a X-A3 and probably as expensive as a X-70.

The X-70 lens is a wideangle lens and also with the extra, expensive, add on lens, it will never qualify for “ all round” photography.

Most buyers of this camera bought it because they like the so called “ street photography”. Some use it next to their other x cameras, VERY few own only a X-70.

Hello Hansen,

if I was out on the search for a reasonable priced X-Mount camera with a prime for universal use, I'd go for a X-E2 with a 23/2 or 35/2.

The X-E2 has the same first generation sensor like the X-T1, which is a really nice sensor and is built top quality. I still love my X-Pro1 (besides my X-Pro2).

The new primes are fantastic. Sold my 35/1.4 when I got the 35/2, which is sharp AND fast. If you like it a bit wider, you'll prefer the 23/2 (even better than the 35/2, but a bit more expensive), which I love!

Gerd from Germany

Edited by signore rossi

Hello Hansen,

if I was out on the search for a reasonable priced X-Mount camera with a prime for universal use, I'd go for a X-E2 with a 23/2 or 35/2.

The X-E2 has the same first generation sensor like the X-T1, which is a really nice sensor and is built top quality. I still love my X-Pro1 (besides my X-Pro2).

The new primes are fantastic. Sold my 35/1.4 when I got the 35/2, which is sharp AND fast. If you like it a bit wider, you'll prefer the 23/2 (even better than the 35/2, but a bit more expensive), which I love!

Gerd from Germany

That was a very good idea, but I'm looking for under $900 camera+lens. That is why my choice is either XA3 or X70. The most closer is the XT-10..

well, yes, the X-T10 is now about to be discontinued though ( it was shortly declared as such and then it went back to “still in production” status) so buying one now might not be the smartes of the moves seen it is about to be replaced by the X-T20 which name has just being registered and will probably include all sorts of improvements over the X-T10.

Besides you have mentioned two cameras ( X-A3 and X-70)  with the possibility to turn the LCD towards the people in the so called “ selfie” mode ( which I then figured it might have been important to you , since this is probably the reason why the XA-series, beside its price, is so popular on the Asian markets) .

If I were you I would buy a now discontinued X-A2 ( even a secondhand one) with the lens of your choice, then later on, once you’ve familiarized yourself with the system, upgrade (you can still resell the X-A2 then) to whatever camera takes your fancy among the several which are soon to be introduced in the system.

The X-A2 will be probably the same as the X-A10, which, as I wrote above, appears to be simply a re-packaged X-A2, both the XA-3 and XA-10 are now delayed do to some bugs so there is time to reflect upon things and find a camera on your local market.

Edited by milandro

• 3 weeks later...

The X-E2 and X-T10 is now showing up with the 18-55 (better that the 16-50) in you price range. This gets you into a great camera and one of the better lenses from the start and 16Mp is plenty with a zoom lens when you pay attention and fill the frame.

The linear resolution increase of the "2" series is only 20% and I frequently loose more than that when cropping a shot from a prime lens if I am not able to move around as I shoot (Rivers, Traffic, Rooftops, Grand Canyon etc.)