overheat xt2

felixmo

hei guys i have some trouble in my gear fuji xt2.im a beginner to use fuji xt2. yesterday i try to record a video in Full HD for 10-15minute my gear gonna be overheat. i

dont know why? can be caused by a memory that I use?? :o i use sandisck ultra  80mb/s SDXC-I 64Gb. 

and whether two slots memory must be use all?

That’s why the camera comes with new batteries and the huge grip, to prevent overheating thus creating the contradiction in terms of a small camera ( one of the characteristics of  mirrorless cameras is size and weight) which needs a huge accessory ( the grip) in oder to do what this camera is supposed to do better.

Continuous shooting and Filming.

My guess is that it is due to your SD card. It is a typical mistake though (blame marketing): the 80 MB/s is read speed, write speed is a minimum of 10 MB/s (C10). Only the Extreme series have a higher bitrate, 60 MB/s write for the 90 MB/S read version and 90 MB/s write for the 95 MB/S read version. You can find the different models on the Sandisk website here. Note how the write speed is only mentioned for the extreme models, trying to fool everyone.

According to the specifications on the Fuji website, the Fuji X-T2 has a max 100 Mbps bitrate for full-HD and 4k movies. It also states UHS class speed 3 is required. Difference in SD card types can be found here. You basically need a 30 Mb/s write speed card (UHS-3), which for Sandisk means an Extreme series card.

• 3 weeks later...

I have overheating issue with my XT2 during 4K 30P record mode.  Camera will overheat and stop recording and shutdown after about 18 minutes of consecutive recording.  I don't think it's the memory card as I've used the SanDisk Extreme Pro which meets the published Fuji recommended specs for 4K recording. 

No overheat problems with 1080 HD mode.

Zed ProMedia uploaded his results of battery tests during 4K recording mode and he was able to acquire over 40 minutes of 4K video without camera overheating on a single battery.  He recorded over 2 hours and 44 minutes with the vertical grip and 3 batteries.

I've contacted Fuji tech support and they confirmed that the XT2 should be able to record consecutive (10 minute segments) of 4K video.  They suggested I send the camera in to be looked at.

I have since sent my camera in for repair to Fuji.  Waiting for it to be returned and hopefully fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuji replaced my camera. It can now record 4K/24fps video on a single battery without overheating. A total of 54 minutes on one battery. I now get similar performance reported in Zed ProMedia's video.

As Zed ProMedia suggested, I pulled screen away from the camera body.

Meanwhile, I got about 25 min of continuos recording at 4K/30fps with screen in normal position (not pulled away from body) before camera overheated. And about 35 minutes with screen pulled away from camera body.

So to get maximum 4K recording follow Zed ProMedia's settings: 4K/24fps with screen pulled away from camera body.

Compliments to Fuji's fast turn around in getting my issue resolved. Took about 4 business days with priority overnight shipping.

Edited by Meleman

• 7 months later...

Meleman

What was wrong with your camera, its interesting because I had no problems with over heating and now suddenly I am getting issues, I get that you need the grip for intense stuff, but I am now having over heating in situations where I would not have before. I used to be able to do an hour of straight recording (with breaks every 9 mins or so to respect the max record time etc) but pretty much continous baring that.

Recently was shotting some footage for my daughters school and it was getting very hot, I found it seemed to be the battery ( I was initially using the new battery that came with X-T2 but I found if I swapped it out to another battery that woudl get me going again for another 10 mins and then I had to swap again, I ended up juggling between 3 batteries just to keep things moving.

I am going to take it into the shop I bought it and have it sent off to Fuji as its still under a 1 year full warranty post a repair they did, just wanted to have all the information at my fingertips so I don't get fobbed off. Something is definitely not right.

For reference I am using Sandisk Extreme UHS3 cards with the high WRITE speed, and I have not changed cards, its been teh same cards and they have performed flawlessy  before, its also the same batteries, so nothing has changed about the setup. The only difference was I was shooting with the 18-55 as well as 10-24 on this shoot where previously due to space i have used 10-24 exclusively, i lock off on a tripod and don't use OIS so both lens had this turned off so I can't think that is contributing to over heating unless the 18-55mm ois still draws some current even when switched off and the 10-24 does not, I don't find it likely.

If you prefer to PM me details than share in the forum then that also would be great if you don't mind.

ps it may just been i need to man up and buy the grip, but I really don't need it for any other reason than the over heating. I don't need the additional boost and FPS and other stuff, i don't need the additional 30 mins recording time as most stuff i shoot in short takes, i don't even need the audio jack as I use a separate recorder and sync the audio in post.........

So if there is a fault with the camera I would rather get it fixed now rather than throw money at an accessory that a) i don't need and B) might not actually fix it if its a genuine mechanical problem (like something not working optimally inside)

• 2 weeks later...

hei guys i have some trouble in my gear fuji xt2.im a beginner to use fuji xt2. yesterday i try to record a video in Full HD for 10-15minute my gear gonna be overheat. i

dont know why? can be caused by a memory that I use?? :o i use sandisck ultra  80mb/s SDXC-I 64Gb. 

and whether two slots memory must be use all?

This problem has mainly two reasons. First video w/o powergrip or bad bateries. Second the failure of motherboard. I had same problems with overheating by X-T2 and the result was, that Fuji service replace the motherboard. Now I have not any problems.

I think that SD card UHS I is to slow for data flow on X-T2.

Edited by hildasea

This past Sunday, I recorded 4K / 30P with three Fuji W126s batteries, using gripped X-T2, tripod mounted using 18-55 lens, OIS off, indoors. Had the grip in boost mode.  LCD was tilted down.

Ran it continuously until about the 30 minute max record time, then re-started recording.  Then, when first battery was consumed at around 55 minute mark, had to re-start recording again. 30 minutes max recording limit later, re-start. Second battery out 20 minutes later.  So far, we're at 1 hour 45 minutes of recorded footage with three re-starts.

The overheat temperature icon showed up a few minutes before the second battery went out, but the X-T2 kept recording. Decided to turn off boost mode.  Don't know if that helped or not.  With about five minutes left in the event, the camera shut down from overheating.  Total record time was just under 2 hours.  Third battery was not depleted.  I had a second camera, the X-T20, so no issues missing the rest of the event (The X-T20 was the B-roll cam so was not recording continuously).

Will have to watch the Zed ProMaster video to see if he had any settings I need to use to get another 60 minutes and reach his 2 hours 44 minutes.  Or, could it simply be he was in a conditioned space (in Canada right?), while I'm on Maui, in August.  I wish there was a way to definitively know if a motherboard replacement is needed or not.  My one year warranty will be up towards the end of October.

thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and helping those of us who use the video features of the X-T2.  I love the footage, by the way.

• 1 month later...

Update

I sent the camera in to be checked as warranty was nearly up, they have replaced the powerboard? Whatever that might be, I have not had time to test it yet, but weirdy just using the camera for about 30 mintues while i installed new firmware on a couple of lenses and did the setup on teh camera (apparelty new powerboard wipes all your settings, a*se) and the base and left had side of the camera and screen were all getting very hot just through normal usage.

I hope that its not going to be one of those issues that just never get resolved, or that like Meleman they eventually just give me a new camera. I have read somewhere taht all new X-T2 and X-Pro2 get hot on first few days of usage, I wander whether this is either the board 'burning in' or whether its capacitors charging up and once they have it will be back to normal service. It has also occured to me that previously my overheating of the sensor issue might have been caused by the heat sink not working properly and now that its doing its job the camera is getting hot as heatsinks oftern connect to body to dissapate heat externally.

I am going to use it for a few days see if the heat goes away, and also stress test it with 4k consecutive shooting.

I have to say Fuji did  very quick turnaround I dropped it into my local shop last friday and picked it up today, 7 days.

I am also going to buy the grip once I have this resolved to my satisfaction as shooting with 2 batteries in grip and none in body for extended 4k shooting shoudl resolve issue and also I wander if you keep using it without grip that is what cause my problem in the first place by stressing components. 

I will keep this thread updated with my progress.

Oh and another thing they updated the camera to the new firmware for me as well which was very nice of them :)