• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 jmijares

jmijares

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:03 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Anyone else have similar issues like I described below?

Yesterday it was a rainy day and I took my X-T1 with 50-140 and X-T2 with 16-55 out to a charity walk which I've volunteered for in the past as a photographer.  My X-T1 held up great as always in the rain.  My X-T2 had issues.  

All was fine, but then about an hour into the event and still raining, my X-T2 was telling me that the "maximum operating temperature has been reached" and the camera would shut down.  That sounds kinda odd because it was maybe 55 degrees Fahrenheit in the rain and the X-T2 body was cold to the touch. The MENU and Q buttons either stopped working or the MENU button would pull up the Q menu.  

I brought it home after the event and decided to let it dry out.  When I removed the 16-55, there was no water slipping past the seal and water hadn't gotten into any of the other compartments. 

As of this morning, the X-T2 will initially recognize the lens mounted on it, but then will display an f number of 0, and the shutter button will fire with the slightest press, not even focusing.  The MENU button will now pull up the menu intermittently but the Q button and focus point stick doesn't work at all. The D pad seems to work okay. 

Anyone else experience similar issues in the same rainy conditions?  It's almost as if water had gotten through the MENU buttons...

My X-T1 has been through some pretty heavy rain and cold over the past 20 months or so and is still going strong!

#2 Adam Woodhouse

Adam Woodhouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:20 PM

That's a bummer. Sounds like it needs to go in for servicing.  Luck of the draw I guess.

TWO Fujifilm X-T2's
16mm/1.4 | 35mm/1.4 | 10-24mm/4 | 16-55mm/2.8 | 50-140/2.8

Rokinon 8mm/2.8

Flashes: Fujifilm EF-X500, iNissin i40 and two Yongnou 565's

Classic Lens Adapters: M42, Canon FD, Nikon and Minolta MD

Adam Woodhouse, Wedding Photographer
Ontario, Canada
http://www.adamwoodhouse.info
Twitter: @woodhousephoto

#3 Username

Username

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:26 PM

I would've thought that weather sealing meant it can be subjected to a light "splatter", and then swiftly back under your coat. Don't think it's designed for constant rain.

That's a Pentax camera you're after for that level of sealing.

You've been lucky with your XT1 up to now I'd guess.

Edited by Username, 22 November 2016 - 02:26 PM.

• olibe likes this

#4 jmijares

jmijares

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:23 PM

I packaged it up and sent it in for repair/servicing. We'll see what they have to say.

#5 Adam Woodhouse

Adam Woodhouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:59 PM

Good luck.  Hopefully they won't come back with 'you abused it in water so it's not covered'.

TWO Fujifilm X-T2's

Rokinon 8mm/2.8

Ontario, Canada

#6 Naddan28

Naddan28

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:35 PM

I would've thought that weather sealing meant it can be subjected to a light "splatter", and then swiftly back under your coat. Don't think it's designed for constant rain.
That's a Pentax camera you're after for that level of sealing.

I don't think so, marketed as a high end (dare I say "pro") camera with weather sealing I don't think a bit of a splash is acceptable in terms of WR.
Gear: X100S, XT1, 14mm, 35mm, 56mm, 15-55mm & 50-140mm<p>Flickr: https://www.flickr.c...s/77034028@N07/

#7 Tom H.

Tom H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:18 AM

WR means weather resistant, not waterproof. The sealing is there for accidental exposure only, not for continuous use. You can get lucky for a long time, but sooner or later you will run into problems if you use it like that.

• steviewonder and olibe like this

#8 pete1959

pete1959

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, Ca. USA

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:48 AM

This should give you hope.

It's a long thread, with lots of people thinking FUJI wouldn't cover water damage (which is oddly enough explicitly NOT covered in their warranty and thus gives the company a very big "out").

https://www.dpreview...s/post/58675407

In the end FUJI covered it.

Let us know what happens please.

Peter

www.kma438.com

#9 pete1959

pete1959

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, Ca. USA

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:53 AM

Here is that other forums posters final report:

As you all know, Fujifilm is handling my repair under warranty and I will receive my camera on Monday. Some of you were asking for details on the cause and damage assessment. Below is an email I received from Fujifilm:

Your X-T2 body was evaluated by our technical staff and upon inspection moisture was found inside the camera body. This moisture had permeated some key components and was related to the camera malfunction you experienced. Although your camera is dust/moisture "resistant" and is weather sealed, it must have been exposed to a good amount of moisture. Body is not "water proof". In this case, we gave you the benefit of the doubt and decided to handle your service request under warranty at no charge. We appreciate your business.

Though Fujifilm is covering my repair under warranty it was done so by giving me the "benefit of the doubt." Therefore, this appears to be a subjective decision by Fujifilm to cover my repair under warranty. I wonder under what conditions Fujifilm would not cover repair of moisture damage under warranty? It appears that covering moisture damage under warranty is still a vague issue. Then again, for all we know, Fujifilm could be covering all moisture damage under warranty. Anyway, I'm thrilled that Fujifilm covered the repair and I have a very positive impression of Fujifilm and their customer service.

• steviewonder likes this

#10 Adam Woodhouse

Adam Woodhouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:23 PM

You got lucky.

Any camera repair shop has to use their judgement in a case like this.

You got luck.  :)

TWO Fujifilm X-T2's

Rokinon 8mm/2.8

Ontario, Canada

#11 MirrorMirror

MirrorMirror

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:15 PM

I think that weather sealing means it can be subjected to a light "splashing", and then swiftly back under protection. I don't think it's designed for constant rain.

Pentax cameras have water proofing but Fuji is just a resistance to weather

#12 jmijares

jmijares

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:58 PM

Well, I finally got my X-T2 back and unfortunately I had to pay for the repair.  Lesson learned.  At least with the X-T2, I'll be using a rain cover.  Still not worried about the X-T1.  A handful of downpours in a row and it's still working like new!

#13 sguyader

sguyader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:58 PM

Well, I finally got my X-T2 back and unfortunately I had to pay for the repair.  Lesson learned.  At least with the X-T2, I'll be using a rain cover.  Still not worried about the X-T1.  A handful of downpours in a row and it's still working like new!

Sorry to hear that. Did they say what they repaired? How much did you have to pay?

#14 jmijares

jmijares

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:58 AM

Sorry to hear that. Did they say what they repaired? How much did you have to pay?

All it said was "liquid damage".  I basically ended up nearly paying the price of an X-T1.  I think entire insides of my X-T2 were replaced because the camera now has a completely brand new serial number.  It's possible that because I opted to have the camera repaired instead of replaced with another X-T2 with similar actuations that I had to pay.  I'm not sure.  Regardless, it's nice to have my X-T2 back.

#15 ThorstenMUC

ThorstenMUC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:21 PM

Sad to hear that - it sounds strange to me, that the X-T2 is not holding through a rain-shower... I know, it is not supposed to be submerged in water - but what weather the sealing is build for, if not rain? I used my X-T1 in hours of slight rain... even my "officially not sealed" Yongnuo 560 worked without problems... rain drops are exactly, what the sealing should prevent from entering the body.

An accidental splash of water imho is no "weather", but would be splash-proof (what e.g. my mobile is).

• c0ldc0ne and emkarp like this

#16 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:33 PM

and yet

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#17 kimcarsons

kimcarsons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

and yet

Heh. Nice try. You could do the same thing with a non-weather-sealed camera, that doesn't mean it's still going to be working 10 minutes later after the ingress has had time to reach the electronics.

#18 johant

johant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:48 PM

My X-E1 also survived light rain several times ... I think Fujifilm needs a better story regarding "weather sealing"; this starts to sound like marketing with no substance.

@OP sorry to hear they did not honour your warranty claim. Slightly disappointing for a camera where they make such a point of the weather sealing in their sales materials.

"The weather resistant structure is sealed in approximately 80 places and is both dust and water resistant. Additionally it is designed to cope in temperatures as low as -10°C allowing field photography without the typical worries about the weather, season or general shooting environment."

Edited by johant, 12 March 2017 - 08:50 PM.

#19 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

well, ask the person who did it? He is on youtube.

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#20 kimcarsons

kimcarsons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:39 PM

well, ask the person who did it? He is on youtube.

You're the one who's presenting it as proof of something.

And even if it did survive, it's anecdotal anyway. I've had my X-T2 in the rain for hours without issue. That doesn't mean that OP's didn't have a manufacturing defect that let water in where it shouldn't... You can pile on all the evidence that most X-T2's don't leak and all that does it make it all the more distressing that when one does leak, Fuji won't stand by the warranty for it. Shameful.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xt2, weather, sealing