Hi all,

I enjoy shooting at the wide-to-standard focal length boundary, and am torn between the x70 and the x100T. I mainly enjoy shooting small family gatherings, people, about town, and when travelling.

From all that I've read, I know that I can't really go seriously wrong with either camera - however I have a couple of concerns that I've not seen addressed.

Between the x70 and the x100T, the main concerns are:

1. Focal length: I love everything about the x70 except the 28mm equivalent focal length. I prefer the 35mm FOV. I know that the x70 has a software 35/50 mm mode that will display the 35mm FOV, and I think that for me the 16 MP is large enough to sustain the effective loss is resolution from the digital crop. But if I do shoot at 28mm, I'm worried about distortion since I'll be shooting closer to my subject. Put simply, will photos of people appear distorted and unflattering with the x70 as opposed to the x100T? (This is probably as much a question about photography as about these 2 cameras - unfortunately I'm not in a position to test this for myself, which is why I'm asking)

2. Price: the x100T is available for $200 less, so the difference in price is $400 between the 2 cameras. I think the x100T is a great camera for my purposes already, and I don't think I'd really need the rumoured x100F. However, would the price of the x100T drop significantly more than the current $200 discount to when the x100F is released? I can wait since I have another camera with me. Obviously nobody knows the answer to the future pricing, discounts etc., but was hoping someone who considered the camera during the x100S to x100T transition might be able to help.

Between the x70 and the x100T, the differences in size, f/2 vs. f/2.8, absence of viewfinder in the x70 don't greatly bother me.

Would love to hear back about what you guys think I should do.

Thanks a lot,

Rahul.

Rahul,

I would suggest Flickr, camera finder and take a look at photos taken with the X70 to see what that focal length looks like (distortion... ). You don't expect to shoot tight headshots with it and have them look as if they were taken with the 90, do you. The X70 is more suited for groups, environmental portraits - including some of the surroundings, as in travel photography, or street photography, I would say.

Thanks for your replies guys. I decided to go with the x100T for now, largely because I prefer that focal length.

George, I don't expect to shoot tight portraits with either camera. Mainly people along with their environments. Thanks for the Flickr suggestion - that's a great way to figure out my focal length question

... I don't expect to shoot tight portraits with either camera ...

Of course you don't. I don't have anything in the 35 equiv. focal length, except my 18-55. I keep reading so many comments that people like 35mm a lot, you said the same, I swear I am going to set my 18-55 to 23 for a month and never move the zoom (tape it !) and see what is it all about, where is the magic. :D ​  I have the 35f2 and I am looking at the 23f2 but I read some not-so-favorable comments on it. Anyway, I am too busy building the house now so no time for photography. Good luck. Share some photos ! Cheers.