New MacBook Pro ... not "Pro" anymore

drsnake

Hi,

Not sure if it is in the right category, but my macbook pro is one of the key "accessories" of my photo production. For more than a decade, I've been using OSX and Apple as my main platform. But now, for the first time, I'm thinking of switching to Windows, Microsoft surface book 2, to be acurate.

Why ? Well, because I could not imagine my self moving around with so many adapters ( USB-C to everything : hdmi, SDcard, USB ...) This make no sens to me. Today I could all of this things carrying only my laptop and a power supply. When the time to replace my macbook will come, I have to spent more for a new Macbook, + 250 bucks in adapters .. And I must find room in my bag for all of these extra cables. Not mentioned all the USB-C compatibility issues and software bugs...

As the macbook is "simplified", the cost should goes down, as it have less component.. but not it is more and more expensive, and need 2-3 adapters minimum to connect to the world. 

So I'm wondering what do you think and what will be your next move regarding your development platform.

Best regards.

David

Long time mac user here too (iMac & iPad), I understand some people's frustration at this but I wonder if it's being blown out of proportion a little. Removing the SD card is frustrating but otherwise what else are people using that in say 2yrs time (i.e. When you're making the upgrade) won't either be USB C or wireless?

NB I completely sympathise that TODAY the adapters are going to be a necessary evil.

Personally I'm hoping a large iMac and iPad will continue to meet my editing needs and adobe will step up their game. A decent MacBook plus screen is pretty expensive vs an iMac.

Edited by Naddan28

I just switched from Windows to Mac and love my Macbook Pro, but with the new ones I am not so sure.  Do I want to carry a bag of dongles every where I go?  I have many years to go before I will need to replace my Mac, but if the direction Apple is going is still the same at that time I may just be going back to Windows, even though I hate Win10 with a passion.

I just switched from Windows to Mac and love my Macbook Pro, but with the new ones I am not so sure.  Do I want to carry a bag of dongles every where I go?  I have many years to go before I will need to replace my Mac, but if the direction Apple is going is still the same at that time I may just be going back to Windows, even though I hate Win10 with a passion.

There is always Linux to replace Windows !