36 replies to this topic

#21 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

no, but after the honeymoon period ( de few months after the intoduction of the new cameras) now a lot of people start realizing that the “ improvements” are mostly negligible while the price they paid for those questionable “ improvements” is absolutely tangible.

Again If I’d shot the picture above with the X-T2 I’d be now complaining. But I am not, because I didn’t use the X-T2 but my X-T1.

Edited by milandro, 11 December 2016 - 11:32 AM.

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

#22 batian

batian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:42 AM

no, but after the honeymoon period ( de few months after the intoduction of the new cameras) now a lot of people start realizing that the “ improvements” are mostly negligible while the price they paid for those questionable “ improvements” is absolutely tangible.

Again If I’d shot the picture above with the X-T2 I’d be now complaining. But I am not, because I didn’t use the X-T2 but my X-T1.

Ok, in that respect I clearly have to contradict. ;-) I don't think the improvements are "negligible". In the case of the X-T2 they are huge imho, in the case of the X-Pro2 the improvements are nothing else than spectacular. Those improvements have been the reason for me to switch to the system... nonetheless, the grid pattern are annoying though.

• FrankX likes this

#23 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:48 AM

huge, spectacular, wow!

Big words.

I’ve yet to find a picture that could  be made with the two new cameras and could NOT be made with the old one. 

The joystick is much criticized , the video functions don’t interest me. I can print 2 X 1 meter with the X-T1 and the difference with the X-T2 will still be almost invisible.

Obviously we live in a different world. I am happy and you are too.

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

#24 batian

batian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:05 PM

huge, spectacular, wow!

Big words.

I’ve yet to find a picture that could  be made with the two new cameras and could NOT be made with the old one. 

The joystick is much criticized , the video functions don’t interest me. I can print 2 X 1 meter with the X-T1 and the difference with the X-T2 will still be almost invisible.

Obviously we live in a different world. I am happy and you are too.

Obviously we do... ;-)

As we both seem to be happy with our choice, there is no need to debate further more. Just some remarks from my site: nor did I say you can't make the same pictures with each camera neither did I talk about image quality in general in my posts. Most of the improvements (especially with the X-Pro2!!!) are ergonomically and yes, I think those improvements (for the X-Pro2 e.g. the excellent and extremely useful joystick, the speed, the EVF, the AF, the button layout and many other things) are highly appreciated and very important for me and my work as well as for the joy to use the cameras. So I stand by my word: the improvements are huge for the X-T2 and spectacular for the X-Pro2. But hey, to each his own!

With this in mind, cheers and keep on shooting with whichever camera you like... ;-)   

#25 Patrick FR

Patrick FR

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 810 posts
  • LocationTOP SECRET

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:30 AM

I'm lucky, because I can recreate the grid artifacts also with my X-T1 (in this case with the 35mmF1.4 attached) :-)

But a minimal adjustment by super-slightly changing the angle, and it's gone.

I hear and read that this is an issue also with Olympus and other mirrorless cameras, due to the reflection of the light hitting the sensor on the rear element of the lens.

Attached Files

• flysurfer and FrankX like this

#26 aladroer

aladroer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationBarcelona - Spain

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:42 PM

I'm constantly taking backlit pictures. I love them. And I do it with portraits and landscapes. I'm doing it with both my X-T1 and my X-T2. And I've never experienced this problem.

• Patrick FR likes this

#27 Patrick FR

Patrick FR

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 810 posts
  • LocationTOP SECRET

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:14 PM

I also never experienced it, but after some complaints (regarding the X-T2) I tried hard to reproduce it with my X-T1. And after a few weeks, I finally suceeded and got the shot above.

#28 immo_p

immo_p

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationZurich

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:12 PM

The effect is very dependent on the angle and the position of the sun - very low sun (just before sunset) leads to it easily, especially with certain lenses like the 56mm/1.2, it happens most easily with this one. But i.e. in the mountains, with the sun high up, it does not happen at all.

#29 Trenton Talbot

Trenton Talbot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Location…cannot acquire satellites. Continue in demo mode?

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:12 PM

The effect is very dependent on the angle and the position of the sun - very low sun (just before sunset) leads to it easily, especially with certain lenses like the 56mm/1.2, it happens most easily with this one. But i.e. in the mountains, with the sun high up, it does not happen at all.

So to avoid the problem one has to opt for the most unphotogenic light possible? Sweet!

…Over the years with the Fuji system I've seen a lot of various sensor artifacts. As for the most annoying artifact, the award definitely goes to what I call an "AF pixel shadow". When you do a complex postproduction on darkly exposed files (star trails, focus stacking etc), oftentimes the entire cross-sensor AF zone suddenly presents itself as a weird pattern contained in a rectangle. The only workaround is to camouflage it with some compulsory artwork.

And the purple sensor flare always seems to ruin the best candid shot in the series. That's why I call it "Murphy's flare".

• kimcarsons likes this

#30 Nick05

Nick05

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:26 AM

Is this only happening when the sun is at the very top or just outside of the frame? i have not experienced it and like shooting into the sun but I usually the sun is either seen in the frame or hidden behind an object in the frame. Looking at the photos in this thread where the issue occurs, it appears the sun has been out of the frame. I'm curious to know what triggers the issue.

#31 luismanibarro

luismanibarro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 02:06 PM

So to avoid the problem one has to opt for the most unphotogenic light possible? Sweet!

So, do you call "photogenic" to shot with a glare in your frame? do you really like it?

I all the time guessed I had to avoid the sun hitting my lens although it was not in my frame, just to care a little about the final picture, you know...

cheers

• jlmphotos and pete1959 like this

#32 asathor

asathor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationStuck on land too long.

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:55 AM

You may need to wait a few years before you can get a camera that can take those shots, by overexposing by that much you are lighting the inside of your camera like a Christmas Tree and all bets are off for quality. The current crop of cameras can only handle 13-14EV. The Finepix S5 Pro could do that 10 years ago so sensor technology has not improved much for dynamic range but as we all know it has in other areas.

The cross hatch pattern are demosaic patters resulting from missing recognizable color information - you get similar patterns at very high ISO and it ain't pretty close up but not directly visible by the time you have something print worthy or downsize for computer and tablet screens.

If the shots were actually "keepers"  there is still a lot you do to recover in post. I have attached my take on it ( I had to compress a little to get the size down).

The Trees: I ran max Highlight Recovery and tight Curves on one, Knocked out Magenta and Purple on one, and show the original for the sake of the Histogram and Blow-Out warning.

Attached Files

Edited by asathor, 27 December 2016 - 06:07 AM.

#33 Oops

Oops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:26 PM

Always in shadow detail behind green, especially foliage? X trans has many more green fotosites. Possible a struggle for blue/red pushing in these circumstances.

#34 hildasea

hildasea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:20 PM

Sorry, but I have X-T2 since october 2016 as profi user and w/o any purple artefacts. This purple "mistake" is not problem of Fuji sensor, but it is mostly mistake of photographer. The same purple flare with diverse artefacts is to see on other cameras as CaNikon/Pentax/Oly etc. To solve this problem (when needed) is possible RAW editing in Rawtherapee with custom demosaic settings.

Talbot Trenton:

What is photogenic light? :o

Edited by hildasea, 21 April 2017 - 12:25 PM.

#35 jlmphotos

jlmphotos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:32 PM

I've shot into the sun with both my X-T1 and 2 and have not experienced this yet.  Interesting effect though...

Jorge L. Moro   | X-T1 |  X-T2 | 18-55 |  Zeiss 12/2.8  |  Fuji 16 1.4  |   Fuji 23 1.4 | Fuji 35 1.4 | Fuji 60 2.4 Macro | Fuji 55-200  |

My websitexshooters blog  |  Flickr Feed  | 

#36 Dmitry_R

Dmitry_R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:40 AM

Unfortunately this phenomenon happens quite often (or it is just me being unlucky :) )

Attached Files

#37 Dmitry_R

Dmitry_R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:42 AM

Here I was using my hand to block off the light to get rid of sun flare, and it also eliminated purple grid effect

Attached Files