- - - - -

Purple Image Error X-T2 (and X-pro 2) with backlight

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_asgy photography_*

Guest_asgy photography_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:37 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

A few days ago a X-T2 User told me about a significant issue when taking pictures with backlight with the X-T2.

It´s quite easy to reproduce this problems, and, although I very seldom take pictures with such backlight, this is something that must not occur.
Here are his examples:
https://www.dropbox....srh7oxi8a/X-T2…
This issue is alsready mentioned at least in the german fuji-forum but here some - obviously paid by fuji - make helpful suggestions like: Don´t take backlight-pictures - change to another system - every system has it´s problems - change the direction or other bullshit.
But with a little research you can see, that this is not a singular problem and it´s easy to reproduce, like I did today.
I know, that new cameras often have faults (I had a Nikon D600 with multiple oil spots years ago), but:
Why does Fuji not answer (he already asked them)? That´s not professional.
Does anybody know anything about such issues?
Will there be any corrective action by Fuji?

Don´t get me wrong: I do like the X-System, but I don´t want to accept such issues in a camera on that price level.

Attached Files

#2 Adam Woodhouse

Adam Woodhouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:55 PM

I think this may be a rare occurrence as it doesn't seem to have a large user base shouting about it.  I shoot into the sun from time to time for strong lens flare or silhouettes and have not experienced this.

Fujifilm X-T2 and X-T1
16mm/1.4 | 35mm/1.4 | 10-24mm/4 | 16-55mm/2.8 | 50-140/2,8 | 18-135mm

Rokinon 8mm/2.8

Flashes: Fujifilm EF-X500, iNissin i40 and two Yongnou 565's

Classic Lens Adapters: M42, Canon FD, Nikon and Minolta MD

Adam Woodhouse, Wedding Photographer
Ontario, Canada
http://www.woodhousephotography.com
Twitter: @woodhousephoto

#3 Guest_asgy photography_*

Guest_asgy photography_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:43 PM

That´s true, I also have positive experience with my X-Pro 2. This is of course an exception, but there are some who have this problem, and it´s definitely not a lens flare. Will be interesting to see, what this is.

#4 Guest_asgy photography_*

Guest_asgy photography_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:52 PM

Meanwhile I heard, that this occurs in several mirrorless system. The reason is, that the back lens is very close to the sensor and in some situations this is the reason for some mirroring between the lens and the sensor. Change the angel a little bit, and it disappears. So: That´s what we learned today :-) 

#5 johant

johant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:28 AM

@asgy photography

Why do you assume that people who don't perceive it as a problem are "obviously paid by Fujifilm"? If I was in that group (I am not; don't have a X-Pro2 or X-T2, and have no opinion on the issue) I would demand an apology from you. Unless you have proof for your statements, stay away from the ad hominem attacks.

#6 guidobartoli80

guidobartoli80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationTuscany, ITALY

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

I have to support this findings, because I have the X-T2 since two weeks and today I took a backlight outdoor shot with 23mm F2, you can see the full picture and the 100% crop region, too.

I think the purple halo can be considered an inevitable consequence of the lens anti-glare coating (sometimes it happened with my old Nikon DLSR), but the very bad thing is its fabric-like texture which is very artificial and geometrical (X-Trans pattern?).

Anyone else has some other information about this?

Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by guidobartoli80, 03 November 2016 - 03:23 PM.

-~=[ Guido ]=~-

Equipment: { X-T2 + XF18-55 F2.8-4 + XF23 F2 + XF35 F2 + LowePro SH140 }

#7 Adam Woodhouse

Adam Woodhouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:52 PM

One thing to consider to not have this problem is no filter on the lens.  Are these problems happening with no filter?

I ask because I purchased a B+W filter for my 10-24/F4 (simply a clear protective filter) and I had something that never happened before.  When shooting towards a light source (such as an object that was back lit) I was getting what I can best describe as a reflection of light in one part of the frame ... which resulted in a noticeable area have a white/low contrast spot.  At first I could not figure out what was happening in certain lighting conditions.  I then clued in that this started to happen when I put the new B+W filter on.  So now I don't use any filters on that lens ... and problem hasn't re-occurred.

Fujifilm X-T2 and X-T1
16mm/1.4 | 35mm/1.4 | 10-24mm/4 | 16-55mm/2.8 | 50-140/2,8 | 18-135mm

Rokinon 8mm/2.8

Flashes: Fujifilm EF-X500, iNissin i40 and two Yongnou 565's

Classic Lens Adapters: M42, Canon FD, Nikon and Minolta MD

Adam Woodhouse, Wedding Photographer
Ontario, Canada
http://www.woodhousephotography.com
Twitter: @woodhousephoto

#8 guidobartoli80

guidobartoli80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationTuscany, ITALY

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:02 PM

Yep, I had no UV or CPL filter mounted lens, it is the XF23mm F2 naked.

However, I had a similar problem with B+W filter mounted on a Nikon DSLR, so apart from image quality, this is another reason I do not use UV filters anymore.

-~=[ Guido ]=~-

#9 pete1959

pete1959

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, Ca. USA

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:22 PM

I think what you are seeing is the reflection of the sensor itself on the rear element of the lens.

the sun is hitting the reflector at just such an angle that it's reflecting and reappearing and photographing itself.

• MartinP likes this

#10 oliaha

oliaha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:00 PM

I have the same experience with the X-T2. But it never occured on my X-Pro 2. So im not really sure if its a reflection. I would assume that the X-Pro 2 and X-T2 are built very similar around the sensor.

#11 pete1959

pete1959

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:05 AM

I think what you are seeing is the reflection of the sensor itself on the rear element of the lens.

the sun is hitting the reflector at just such an angle that it's reflecting and reappearing and photographing itself.

....should have read the sun is hitting the SENSOR at just such an angle that it's reflecting

#12 Jmgardiner

Jmgardiner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:23 AM

Same problem on my XT2. The pattern is pretty horrific. 

#13 guidobartoli80

guidobartoli80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationTuscany, ITALY

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:57 AM

I begin to believe this is not an issue of only some people...  :wacko:

• dck22 likes this

-~=[ Guido ]=~-

#14 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:44 PM

Pretty nasty!  

The X-T1 didn’t suffer reflexions on the sensors in this way ( although I recall some people complaining of observing the grid under some video shooting conditions).

The X-T1 had for some a certain red dot flare when shooting against the sunlight.

I’ve personally never observed this although it might have been also depending on the lens that you have on your camera and the angle of the sun.

I don’t think that this is an issue that can be corrected by software as it seems to to concern the lens and the internal reflections on the glass surface of the sensor revealing its grid.

This is a X-T1 picture with the 12mm Samyang. Obviously the sensor wasn’t affected as in the examples above.

Attached Files

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

Please remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products. They don’t even pay you for this! Nobody really wants to know about the brand and type of your phone or the program that you use to post on the forum.

#15 pete1959

pete1959

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:33 AM

This might assist you:

https://www.dpreview...s/post/58738862

#16 batian

batian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:11 AM

Hi,

unfortunately you will have to live with this issue or you have to sell for camera ;-)

By that time it's a well known and described phenomenon of the sensor (X-T2 and X-Pro2) and the only chance to avoid it is to be careful and change the camera position a little bit when you see it in the EVF.

You will find much more about it here: 

http://www.mirrorles...grid-artefacts/

And yes, you can find some problems with purple flare with other systems as well (remember Olympus OM-D with the Panasonic 7-14), but I've never seen such grid pattern anywhere else. And it is very easy to reproduce this kind of grid pattern... fortunately you can see it in the EVF and changing the angle a little bit to avoid it is easy as well. I own the X-T2 and the X-Pro2 and have to live with the issue as well...

I wanted to upload some examples I've shot with the X-T2 but I didn't find the button for attachments... is it that complicated or am I just blind? ;-)

Update: Ah, found it...

Attached Files

Edited by batian, 11 December 2016 - 10:20 AM.

#17 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:21 AM

click on more reply options and then you have the menu for attachments , you have 1000Kb each post and can put as many images as you want within that 1000Kb. You have no limits of posting and each post can be as big as you possibly can fit.

Please remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products. They don’t even pay you for this! Nobody really wants to know about the brand and type of your phone or the program that you use to post on the forum.

#18 batian

batian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:56 AM

click on more reply options and then you have the menu for attachments , you have 1000Kb each post and can put as many images as you want within that 1000Kb. You have no limits of posting and each post can be as big as you possibly can fit.

Thanks...

#19 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:04 AM

another reason not to desire upgrading my X-T1 then.

#20 batian

batian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:23 AM

another reason not to desire upgrading my X-T1 then.

Maybe yes... on the other hand I would like to emphasize that at least under my personal photographic "real life conditions" (with pictures like in my Instagram account) I've recognized the grid pattern in one picture in six month of use. And not as bad as in the shown examples of course. Furthermore the problem is dependent on the lens to a certain extent. The XF56 is significantly worse in this aspect than the XF35F2 or the XF16 e.g... All in all no really big deal for me untill now. But if someone is specialized in portraiture under real harsh backlight conditions at the beach... puh, then I'm not sure if I would recommend the cameras to him or her...