Compressed .RAF

As a XT1 convert to XT2 I am finding a lot of new stuff in the menu system, one is compressed RAF(RAW).  I use Coral Photoshop as my post processing programme and found all my compressed RAF files just came out as a half black and half white image on the screen.  The fix = DO NOT USE COMPRESSED RAF setting.  in looking for a solution I tried looking at some converters but was having problems which I think was related to the same issue.

Any other comments about compressed .RAF files?

Compressed raw files save a lot of space but Fuji doesn't get a lot of support from 3rd party software companies outside of Adobe so a lot of them don't support the compression yet.

I am not sure which software outside of ACR/Photoshop/Lightroom/Silkypix does support Fuji compressed raw but I am hopeful support will grow over time.

As a side note, I am little surprised at how poorly Corel has developed Aftershot Pro.  When it was launched years ago it had a decent number of features for a new piece of software and was looking good but it just hasn't gone very far since then.  Of course, I probably shouldn't be surprised given what they have done to PSP over the years.

Edited by dalto

When I first got the X-T2 I used Compressed raw.  Then I saw the actual raw files, when imported in LR, were around 25MB, compared to the 33MB of the X-T1. How can that be?  I then switched the X-T2 to uncompressed Raw which generates a  50MB raw files and I haven't looked back!   On a 32G SD card I can get 497 uncompressed Raw + JPEG Fine.  

It is very possible that compressed and uncompressed have the same quality, but I always wonder about that.  On my D800e I shoot lossless compressed which brings the size from around 70MB to 50-55MB.  

45mb read/write, 60mb read/write SD cards are cheap. Sandisk, Lexar, and other brands are always on sale somewhere.  I have around 16 32G SD cards that I've accumulated whenever there is a sale on somewhere, so I'd rather shoot the uncompressed and not worry about it.

When I first got the X-T2 I used Compressed raw.  Then I saw the actual raw files, when imported in LR, were around 25MB, compared to the 33MB of the X-T1. How can that be?

It is because the x-t2 files are compressed.  Importing them into LR doesn't change the size of the file.

It is very possible that compressed and uncompressed have the same quality, but I always wonder about that.

Lossless compression is, by definition, the same quality as the fullsized raw.  Think of it like a zip file.  You can zip the files up and they get smaller but when you unzip them they are the same as before you zipped them up.

45mb read/write, 60mb read/write SD cards are cheap. Sandisk, Lexar, and other brands are always on sale somewhere.  I have around 16 32G SD cards that I've accumulated whenever there is a sale on somewhere, so I'd rather shoot the uncompressed and not worry about it.

The cards may be cheap but long term storage of many thousands of images at 50% larger adds up quick.

It is because the x-t2 files are compressed.  Importing them into LR doesn't change the size of the file.

Lossless compression is, by definition, the same quality as the fullsized raw.  Think of it like a zip file.  You can zip the files up and they get smaller but when you unzip them they are the same as before you zipped them up.

The cards may be cheap but long term storage of many thousands of images at 50% larger adds up quick.

That's right.  The Files are compressed.  I realize it's just like a zip file, but for some reason it irks me and my OCD compels me to use the un-compressed :).  I do realize doing so doubles the file size and places a strain on storage but again, storage  prices are so low...  I have 24 TB of storage space between my Drobo and a WD Raid, and am only utilizing about 8TB so it's no big deal here.   I was shooting with a D800 and a D800E so those files were also huge so dealing with the X-T1 and X-T2 files, at least for me, are no big deal.

• 3 months later...

When I import compressed x-pro2 files into dng with Lightroom cc, I get a few extra duplicate raf files as well.  The raf files very in amount and are random. 

I discovered this by going to Explorer (Show in Explorer.) 

I have tried different memory cards, computers, cameras, and different setting.

This is only a Lightroom problem with my Fuji x-pro2.  No problem with my orther 3 cameras; Nikon D800, x-pro1 or x-t1.

Has anyone seen this on the compressed setting? 

Check your folders if you use Lightroom and compressed.

J

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!