• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jake Hall

Jake Hall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:13 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

So heres the plan, I want to use my X-T1 as a camera trap. I have everything I need - camera, flash (SB-28) and a PIR Motion Sensor hooked up to the cable release.

I've tested it all, it all works. The trigger releases shutter and the flash wakes up nice and fast to fire. The only problem I have is that the motion sensor (essentially just a cable shutter release) doesn't wake the camera up from Auto power-off (standby) mode. 

Am I missing something here? A half-press of the shutter button wakes the camera but the cable release doesn't do it. 

Would love some advice, hopefully i'm missing something or there is a workaround. I'm already well aware that battery life will be an issue and hoping I don't have to leave it on (i'd like to leave it out for more than one night!)

#2 sacherjj

sacherjj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 04:11 AM

From my understanding of the 2.5mm 3 conductor plug that is used in Canon and Fuji, you have one for focus (i.e. half press) and one for shutter.  For a remote to use it, you would need to trigger a focus, then delay for the camera to wake up before triggering the shutter.   

#3 Jake Hall

Jake Hall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:52 PM

Thanks for the reply! I had to take a time out from photography, hence the delayed response, but am back now and would love to get a solution to this problem! 

Could you clarify what you meant for me please? It seems that you're suggesting that I need two separate cables?

My understanding of my issue is that my current cable (see attached) is capable of a 'full press' to trigger the shutter release while the camera is switched on, but is incapable of the 'half press' which is what wakes the camera from its auto-power off slumber?

Thanks!

Attached Files

• Attached File  b.jpg   26.85KB   0 downloads

Edited by Jake Hall, 02 January 2017 - 09:53 PM.

#4 Jake Hall

Jake Hall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:53 PM

From my understanding of the 2.5mm 3 conductor plug that is used in Canon and Fuji, you have one for focus (i.e. half press) and one for shutter.  For a remote to use it, you would need to trigger a focus, then delay for the camera to wake up before triggering the shutter.   

.....so I performed an experiment with my other camera remote (see attached) - this one is capable of a half-press to trigger a focus but it still doesn't wake the camera from auto power off. 

This leads me to believe that it's an issue with using the port on the side of the camera that i'm attaching the cable releases to. Do they just not function the same as the regular shutter release on top of the camera?

Attached Files

• Attached File  a.jpg   4.97KB   0 downloads

Edited by Jake Hall, 02 January 2017 - 10:06 PM.

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close