Peak Design Everyday Sling

Thanks for the insight so far, looking forward to your full review.

I just picked up a new backpack for full trips (camera with 3-4 lenses, top compartment for clothes, food, kids stuff, etc), but looking for something lightweight to carry around with just basic camera gear. I have a messenger bag (City Walker 10) which I use but with two small kids I don't like carrying it since if I'm chasing after them it flops all around.

I saw the Sling before on their Kickstarter and dismissed it for being too expensive. Then I took a look at it at Photo Plus and was interested by it more. If felt very comfortable to wear unlike many sling bags (some tend to be too tight, especially for those who aren't stick thin). I like the clasp to loosen the bag to bring it around.

I see that you were able to fit the 50-140 standing up which is nice, since I wouldn't carry it mounted. Were you able to fit the hood reversed? Wondering because I'm thinking of this bag to fit some Olympus gear and their 40-150 is slightly shorter than the Fuji 50-140. So if the Fuji fit, the Olympus should as well, just wondering if it'll fit with the hood or without.

So for a say 1-3 hours trip, would you recommend the sling?

Thanks for the insight so far, looking forward to your full review.

I just picked up a new backpack for full trips (camera with 3-4 lenses, top compartment for clothes, food, kids stuff, etc), but looking for something lightweight to carry around with just basic camera gear. I have a messenger bag (City Walker 10) which I use but with two small kids I don't like carrying it since if I'm chasing after them it flops all around.

I saw the Sling before on their Kickstarter and dismissed it for being too expensive. Then I took a look at it at Photo Plus and was interested by it more. If felt very comfortable to wear unlike many sling bags (some tend to be too tight, especially for those who aren't stick thin). I like the clasp to loosen the bag to bring it around.

I see that you were able to fit the 50-140 standing up which is nice, since I wouldn't carry it mounted. Were you able to fit the hood reversed? Wondering because I'm thinking of this bag to fit some Olympus gear and their 40-150 is slightly shorter than the Fuji 50-140. So if the Fuji fit, the Olympus should as well, just wondering if it'll fit with the hood or without.

So for a say 1-3 hours trip, would you recommend the sling?

Just got back from walking here in Rome, in humid and grey weather though, so no great shots sadly.

Impressions today.

It's comfortable to wear for long stretches. It fits snug to the body if needed, and loose when you want it. It is slightly too big for my taste, but I'm just so used to the smaller ThinkTank bag, so I'll give myself some more time to get used to this one.

The 50-140 fits fine with the hood reversed. The bag is still designed to fit a dslr with 70-200 attached, so any decent mirrorless setup should be fine.

looking forward to the full review! Also, I have yet to see anyone carry it lower down, more like a crossbody bag - would that be possible or does it stick out awkwardly? EDIT: the reason why I'm thinking of wearing it more like a messenger back is that I would like to use it as my office bag - it needs to fit a bunch of A4 paper, some books and my camera for everyday use. wear high and tight for the bike, lower for around the office. Squash to stash in suitcase for holidays as a walk around bag (camera plus souvenirs/sunnies, etc)...so really a bag for all r/seasons? :)

Edited by Kabo

looking forward to the full review! Also, I have yet to see anyone carry it lower down, more like a crossbody bag - would that be possible or does it stick out awkwardly? EDIT: the reason why I'm thinking of wearing it more like a messenger back is that I would like to use it as my office bag - it needs to fit a bunch of A4 paper, some books and my camera for everyday use. wear high and tight for the bike, lower for around the office. Squash to stash in suitcase for holidays as a walk around bag (camera plus souvenirs/sunnies, etc)...so really a bag for all r/seasons? :)

A4 doesn't fit, first thing I tried because then I could use it as my flight case for work. If you need that size, you'll have to go for the Everyday Messenger or something else.

For me, the bag tends to sit best on the back, and not that low. Any other position feels less natural. I think that's because the back stays more or less in it's flat shape, it doesn't shape itself that much to your side if you carry it there. In general, the bag stays in shape much more than my Retrospective 5, but I removed the padding from that one completely.

Edited by Tom H.

A4 doesn't fit, first thing I tried because then I could use it as my flight case for work. If you need that size, you'll have to go for the Everyday Messenger or something else.

For me, the bag tends to sit best on the back, and not that low. Any other position feels less natural. I think that's because the back stays more or less in it's flat shape, it doesn't shape itself that much to your side if you carry it there. In general, the bag stays in shape much more than my Retrospective 5, but I removed the padding from that one completely.

ah bummer if A4 doesn't fit...i thought if an ipad pro fits, so does A4. That basically rules it out Thanks for the decision help!

I scribbled down my impressions while in Rome on my blog here.

Suitcase size is fine, though my suitcase is one size bigger than carry-on. In a carry-on size luggage, you'd really have to push it down hard, but it will fold mostly flat. Due to the construction, it tends to reassume it's normal shape when you release the pressure.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ah bummer if A4 doesn't fit...i thought if an ipad pro fits, so does A4. That basically rules it out Thanks for the decision help!

I have the Peak Design Everyday Messenger 13" and it actually fits an A4 perfectly. It is the smaller version of the initial everyday messenger, which was 15". The 15" is really made for DSLRs, but I'd say the 13" is perfect for APS-C DSLRs and mirrorless cameras. The depth of the bag is 10cm at the bottom, so it fits lenses up to +/- 80mm with lens hood attached perfectly. This is perfect for the Fuji Lineup.

I'll be buying the everyday sling as an addition for my messenger when I want to bring less. Thanks for your review Tom!

Just got called to do an unforeseen stop at Tel Aviv, this will be my kit for the day. If there's anyone in Tel Aviv tomorrow who's up for a photowalk, feel free to let me know!

So, what to take for just 1 day in a city I don't know that well? Usually, if it's my first time somewhere, I prefer to shoot film, to capture my first impressions without thinking too much or reviewing what I'm doing. Better focus on the experience. Though I have been to Tel Aviv before, I never had sufficient time for some snaps, so hopefully tomorrow will be better.

My mixed kit this time is:

Fujifilm X-T2

35/2

16/1.4

Fujifilm TX-1 (in it's Hasselblad Xpan disguise)

45/4

3 spare batteries for the X-T2, though I rarely need more than 1 extra.

2 spare batteries for the Xpan.

5 spare rolls of film (2 rolls of Cinestill 800T and 3 rolls of Fujifilm Superia 200, cause I'm out of Portra. If you push Superia 2 stops in post and meter for the shade at ISO500, the result is very Portra-like).

Lens pen, though I avoid using this unless it's really necessary, I clean my lenses before I leave with Cura Lens Cleaner and wipes.

Peak Design Slide Lite.

Peak Design Leash, I prefer the wrist strap for street shooting with the Xpan.

I could fit a small water bottle if needed, there is plenty of wiggle room left in the bag.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 4 weeks later...