Fuji XT2 WYSIWYG v EVF

miguel

As an ex Nikon user I have just purchased the XT2, initially it is a great camera but I do have a problem that someone may be able to help me out.

On Nikon I have always used the ETTR system with Raw files making good use of the histogram.

As you well know when you expose to the right, the playback image normally looks over exposed in the camera but works fine when its processed in ACR for example.

I am trying to use the WYSIWYG image in the EVF to assess exposure but because of exposing to the right, the EVF image is over exposed when the Histogram says it is ETTR correctly.

Is it possible to adjust the camera settings so the WYSIWYG image in the EVF looks correctly exposed when the Histogram is correctly ETTR?

Because the histogram on the XT2 is so small and on a see thro style background, depending on your subject, it is very difficult to see when the highlights start to clip.

Can it be made larger and clearer?

This is my first post so I hope everything is ok with the forum

Regards

Michael

Setting 'preview pic effect' to off will help somewhat, and also give a more accurate histogram for raw. However the EVF on any CSC camera is designed to show what is being seen by the sensor and if the exposure puts the tones further up the curve then inevitably you will see the whole image become brighter. In my opinion the ETTR method, although technically correct, is simply not needed nowadays. It was advocated when A-D converters were only 12 bit and the sensor noise was bad. Because modern sensors have such low noise and the converters are better in my humble opinion it is mostly redundant.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for an interesting response.

I assume when you say turning off preview pic effect will give a more accurate histogram, the reasoning is it does not take into account film simulation and all the jpeg settings

I think your point about the modern day attitude to ettr is probably correct. I am old school and habits die hard, I was always of the opinion to get it right in camera thus avoiding lengthy post processing. The time is better spent taking more images.

The evf brighter image when using ettr has been illeviated somewhat by turning the evf brightness as low as possible, so I guess its time to forget old habits and learn new tricks.

I have also posted on the fuji remote wireless app not functioning correctly, any ideas?

Regards

Michael

I agree as well that ettr has had it's day. Sure, if you have time to take multiple shots, you could take some proper and then a few as ettr, but I've done so repeatedly and haven't noticed sufficient a gain to offset the risk of over exposing the highlights...

When in doubt, you could always set the camera to bracket and shoot 3 frames. I sometimes do that cause I'm lazy ;-)

In my experience one of the key ways to get in your electronic viewfinder or your liquid crystal display to show an image as close as the one that you will get on your computer is to tune DOWN the EVF and LCD luminosity. 9 I have it on -1 the EVF and on 0 the LCD)

Of course you need to enable the function preview picture too.

Well, I have tested the 'pic effect off' histogram highlight end with the aid of some software called Rawdigger and it is as close as you will get. We have to remember that the histogram is generated from jpeg output, even when you are using raw. This is so for all cameras as far as I know. So it will never be 100% accurate.

Michael, sorry I have not tried the remote app yet. it is getting near my bedtime now, but I will try it tomorrow and post the result.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info, its appreciated.

Regarding the wireless problem, I believe I have cracked it. There is an option in the wireless connection settings to do a reset, this has fixed the problem, dont know why but its working now.

Regards

Michael

Hi Bob,

I really cannot believe this!

After using the wireless setup for a couple of hours last night, it is showing the same fault this morning.

Once it worked yesterday I tried switching off the camera, rebooting my ipad and iphone and it still continued to work ok.

I really cannot work with such a useless function like this. it is totally unreliable.

Unfortunately no one else can do the same thing except Camranger which is excellent but does not eork with fuji.

Michael