X-T2 rips through the Indy Car Race at Sonoma Raceway!

Puma Cat

Shooting with my X-T2 at the Indy Car Race at Sonoma Raceway this weekend, my last pro motorsports event of the year. 

So, far I am very impressed with the X-T2's performance in a tough, real-world environment. Just some quick pics before I have to hike up to Turn 2 for afternoon practice. 

Carlos Munoz at Turn 10

Carlos%20Munoz.jpg

Will Power exiting the Bus Stop Chicane

Will%20Power.jpg

Straight out of camera JPEG of Tony Kanaan in the Bus Stop Chicane

Kanaan.jpg

Max Chilton leading the pack

_DSF0815-Edit.jpg

Juan Pablo Montoya

Montoya.jpg

How about a nice panning shot at 1/250th of a second? Spencer Pigot, Turn 10Spencer%20Pigot.jpg

I am going to put up a separate thread devoted to the race weekend, but here are a few more shots from today as a "teaser trailer" (that is, you may see them again). The X-T2 performed even better today than yesterday, I must be developing the technique needed to get the best out of it...

Graham Rahal hard on the power coming down the straight into the hairpin at turn 11. The car is going VERY FAST through here. 

Rahal%20T11.jpg

Juan Pablo Montoya

Montoya%20Bus%20Stop%202.jpg

Joseph Newgarden

Newgarden%20Bus%20Stop.jpg

Realtme Acura TLX during the Pirelli World Challenge race

Acura%20T9%20GT%20race.jpg

The X-T2 is really delivering the goods for me. As I am getting to know the camera, the results I am obtaining are getting better and better. 

Ryan Hunter-Reay on a very hot qualifying lap....car fully over the berm. 

Hunter-Reay%20Qualifying.jpg

And your pictures shows that!

I am very confident that the X-T2 will replace quite a few dslr and entice a host of dslr shooters. I tried the X-T2 at it's launch and already it's trumped the very capable Pro2. I love it.

spencer pigot, acura tlx and ryan hunter-reay make my heart beat accelerate.. i wanna be puma cat too.

edit: maybe you have Joseph Newgarden more from the side, leaving the chicane when you shot burst mode? the car has nice dark green tones, could fill more of the frame against the brighter backgrounds.

edit2: did you use time priority or full manual?

Edited by MartinP

any wide open shot?

Everything I can see has been shot F10, F11, F13, F16...

Hi Luis,

No, no wide open shots. This is a scenario where I need maximal depth of field to get the car as sharp as possible from front to back. These cars are 16 feet long, so I need as much DOF as I can get, especially with these focal lengths. My PR manager wants everything sharp, all the logos, drivers helmet, etc. sharp and clean.

Edited by Puma Cat

spencer pigot, acura tlx and ryan hunter-reay make my heart beat accelerate.. i wanna be puma cat too.

edit: maybe you have Joseph Newgarden more from the side, leaving the chicane when you shot burst mode? the car has nice dark green tones, could fill more of the frame against the brighter backgrounds.

edit2: did you use time priority or full manual?

Martin, I will look and see what I have. Yes, I really like Newgarden's Fuzzy's livery. I wll see if I have some of those shots, or a panning shot. I shot a mix of shutter priority or manual depending on the lighting conditions. 1/400th -1/500th second for the really fast 3/4 front view closing shots, 1/250th for the panning shots.

Thought you guys would like to see some pit lane shots from the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma from last weekend. 

Simon Pagenaud
_DSF2432.jpg

Pagenaud holding until pit lane is clear
_DSF2437.jpg

Takuma Sato
_DSF2461.jpg

James Hinchcliffe
_DSF2540.jpg

James "Hinch" Hinchcliffe
_DSF2546.jpg

Scott Dixon
_DSF2564.jpg

Dixon gets a push out of pit lane...
_DSF2596.jpg

Will Power exits pit lane...
Power%20Pit%20Lane%20Touch%20of%20Red.jp

Awesome pics! Enjoying the clarity and sharpness! 

Did you use the 50-140 wth 1.4 TC or the 100-400mm? (I apologize if the question has been asked already. I couldn't find it in the thread.)

I had the 1.4 TC, but didn't need to use it. Both lenses gave me all the reach I needed. 

Hello All,

Here a few pictures of the t2 and xf100-400mm
on circiut of francohamps

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello All,

Here a few pictures of the t2 and xf100-400mm
on circiut of francohamps

Attached Images

greetings Jakke

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 3 weeks later...